Lemon meringue pie cupcakes! Who would have ever thought? These are heavenly; the curd is rich and sweet, the cake with light and springy, and the meringue is like a fluffy cloud to top it all off! If you’ve got a couple of hours, these are sure to impress anyone and everyone! Recipe after the jump.
My ghetto version of a double-boiler, hahah.
Straining the curd through a sieve.
Ready to get baked!
Filled with the lemon curd.
Whipping egg whites for the meringue.
About to get toasted.
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon zest
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk lemon juice, eggs, egg yolk and sugar until smooth.
- Add butter and place bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisking gently, cook mixture until it thickens and leaves a ribbon when whisk is lifted; this can take anywhere from 8 to 20 minutes depending on how high the heat is set and how cold the ingredients were.
- Remove from heat and push through a fine mesh strainer. Fold in lemon zest, cover with plastic wrap and thoroughly chill before using.
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, rub together the lemon zest and sugar with your fingers until the zest is evenly distributed and the sugar takes on a light yellow hue.
- Add butter and cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with the milk; beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Evenly divide batter between 12-14 paper-lined muffin cups; they should be about ⅔ full.
- Bake until cake springs back when lightly touched in the center and is just beginning to get a golden hue; about 16 to 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool in the tins.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Slowly add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and continue whipping until egg whites hold stiff peaks when beaters are lifted.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place cupcakes on a large baking sheet. Use a paring knife to cut out a small cone out of the center of each cupcake.
- Pipe about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the lemon curd into each cupcake. Spoon dollops of meringue over the curd on each cupcake.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until the tops of the meringues brown; about 4 to 6 minutes.