Last night while Kramer and I were watching The Mummy (you know it’s awesome), I started browsing through my recipes and remembered that I had been meaning to make these peanut butter and jelly bars from Cast Sugar. I’m glad I did! They were pretty easy to make and were so good! Kramer adores anything with peanut butter, so these were a hit in his book, too. I can’t wait to make these again because they’re sure to please any crowd (as long as they’re not allergic to peanuts). Recipe after the jump!
You probably already have all of this in your house!
Combine the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
Beat together the sugar and butter…
…until it’s light and fluffy.
Then add your peanut butter and vanilla to the butter and beat until combined.
Then beat in your eggs.
Gradually add your flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture until it’s just moistened and combined thoroughly.
Press 2/3 of the dough into a greased or lined 9×13 inch pan. I like to line my pan with tinfoil when I make bars like this so I can lift them out of the pan for easy cutting and removing.
Next, spread your jam evenly on top of the crust. The recipe called for 18 oz. of jam, which is about an average sized jar, but next time I make these I think I’ll do a jar and a half.
Crumble the remaining 1/3 dough on top of the jam.
Then, if you like, sprinkle chopped peanuts on top of that. I used the peanuts and it gave the bars a nice little extra crunch.
Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Allow to cool completely before slicing (I popped mine in the refrigerator for a bit).
Maybe I’ll have to have one of these for breakfast…
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups creamy or chunky peanut butter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 18 oz. jam (About the size of one jar. Next time I make these I'm going to use a jar and a third, so you can try doing that as well)
- ⅔ cups salted peanuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or line a 9x13-inch cake pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla, eggs, and peanut butter and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spread ⅔ of the dough into the prepared cake pan and press down into the pan with your hands. Spread the jam evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the remaining dough evenly over the jam. Don't worry if all the jam isn't covered; it will spread in the oven. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and bake for 45 minutes, until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.