This recipe is from Baked Perfection and it’s SO AMAZING I HAVE TO USE CAPS. You have to make these! It’s too easy. You just bake a cake from a box, then add your favorite frosting/topping/etc., roll the mixture into balls, freeze them, then dip them in melted chocolate! I used peanut butter and Nutella like the recipe suggests, but the possibilities are endless! Recipe after the jump.
The only things you need!
Mix together the cake ingredients and bake according to directions.
As soon as it’s done, divide into two halves.
And place in separate bowls.
Using a butter knife or a fork, gently crumble the cake halves.
Add the Nutella in one bowl.
And the peanut butter in the other bowl.
Mix the Nutella and peanut butter with the cake and roll each into balls and place on baking trays lined with tinfoil or wax paper.
Put in the freezer until thoroughly chilled.
Melt your chocolate.
And begin dipping your cake balls into the chocolate using a fork or a toothpick.
I used sprinkles for the peanut butter ones and marshmallow fluff for the Nutella ones.
Make sure you keep these in the freezer or at least the fridge! They’re amazing, rich, and impressive!
I gave these to a friend to take on tour with him and they were a big hit!
- 1 box yellow cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup Nutella
- 18 oz. milk or dark chocolate
- Sprinkles or whatever you want for decoration
- Bake cake according to package directions. As soon cake is cooked split the cake into two halves and crumble each half into a large bowl.
- Mix each bowl of crumbled cake thoroughly with peanut butter in one and Nutella in the other. Roll each mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet lined with wax paper (Should make approximately 40). Chill for several hours (you can speed this up by putting in the freezer).
- Melt chocolate in microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between (I used a saucepan and melted the chocolate over low heat because I feel like chocolate burns so easily in the microwave).
- When chocolate is completely melted, roll balls in chocolate (I picked up the balls with a fork and dipped them in the chocolate) and lay on wax paper. If you chose to decorate with sprinkles, immediately sprinkle the balls after you have rolled them in chocolate. Place in the freezer.
- To decorate with drizzled chocolate or marshmallow, place chocolate or marshmallow fluff in a sandwich bag on a microwave safe dish and microwave in 30 second intervals moving the chocolate/fluff around between. Using scissors, cut the very tip off the sandwich bag. The smaller your cut, the smaller the drizzle.
- Use the sandwich bag to pipe the chocolate or marshmallow back and forth over the hardened truffles until you reach the desired look. When the drizzle has hardened (you can put them in the freezer to speed up the process) brake off any extra chocolate with your fingers or the back end of a fork or spoon.