What was the first thing you ever baked? This was mine! I still have pictures from that fateful day. So these scones have a special place in my heart.
My mom found this recipe for scones when I was in high school and my brothers and I loved when she made them. They’re great for breakfast because they’ve got so much substance and the lemon glaze on top adds a nice touch of sweet to these delicious scones. If you want to try making a low-fat treat that will serve as breakfast for a few days, these scones should be what you go for! Recipe after the jump, as always.
It’s so hard for me not to eat all of the Craisins while I’m making these.
Combine all of your dry ingredients; the flour, wheat bran, lemon zest, millet, poppy seeds, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
Beat together the eggs, sugar, almond extract, and oil.
Beat the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just moistened. Then fold in your cranberries and almonds (if you’re using them).
Grease your scone pan with Pam and fill 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-10 minutes. If you don’t have a scone pan, you can just drop spoonfuls of batter on a baking sheet like a cookie.
While they bake, squeeze your lemon juice for the glaze and whisk with the powdered sugar.
Place on a cooling rack or just place on tinfoil/parchment paper and drizzle your glaze over top of the scones.
I made some by just dropping them on a baking sheet, too, because I only had one scone pan (my mom’s), haha.
I wish we still had some! I ate the last one for breakfast this morning.
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons grape seed or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup oatmeal (not instant)
- ¼cup wheat bran
- 1½ cups unbleached white flour
- 2 tablespoons millet
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1½ cup dried cranberries (or any other dried frut)
- 1 cup almonds (or any other nut)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Whisk the egg, sugar, almond extract, and oil together in a bowl. Mix the lemon zest and the flour, wheat bran, millet, poppy seeds, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg together in a separate bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until all of them are evenly dispersed throughout.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the egg, almond extract, sugar and oil, and mix to create a thick dough. Add the milk and mix well. Fold in your cranberries and almonds.
- Lightly grease a baking pan. Scoop up tablespoonfuls of the dough and drop them one by one in mounds onto the baking sheet (or use a scone pan), leaving 2 inches of space between. You should have about 10 scones. Bake for 15-20 minutes, just until the crust is barely golden brown and the dough is dry. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- With a fork or a whisk, mix together the lemon glaze ingredients until the sugar is completely dissolved. Drizzle 1 tablespoon ever each scone.