This was one of the first things I learned to make, and it’s definitely a crowd pleaser. It’s really simple to make and is very kid friendly. Make sure you serve this with some kind of vegetable, though, because it’s loaded with carbs and cheese (so it’s impossible not to love). I made this with ground turkey and low-fat sour cream to make it a bit lighter, but you can use whatever you like. Recipe after the jump!
All you need.
Cook your pasta according to the package directions, drain, and set aside.
Brown your meat and onions in a medium sized pot.
When ready, add your sauce to the meat and onions and simmer for about 15 minutes.
Grate your mozzarella while your sauce simmers (you can also use sliced mozzarella for this, if you want).
When your sauce is ready, pour half of your pasta into the bottom of a greased or lined pan.
Add your provolone (I only had a little bit of provolone, so I used that and extra mozzarella together).
Measure out your sour cream.
And spread that over your noodles and cheese.
Then top that with half of your sauce.
Add your noodles and cheese again.
Then top that with the rest of your sauce and some Parmesan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Allow to set for a few minutes before cutting.
- 1 pound dry ziti pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, dealer's choice
- 6 ounces provolone cheese, sliced
- 1½ cups low-fat sour cream
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the onion and ground turkey over medium heat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and/or line a 9x13 inch baking dish. Layer as follows: ½ of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, ½ sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.