German Pulled Pork

I originally found this recipe on To Be Mrs Marv, and I thought it sounded delicious. My only problem was that I am always short on time, so I couldn’t come home from work at 6 or 7 and start dinner. I figured that this would be perfect for a crock pot recipe! I kind of just threw everything in the pot, turned it on low, and when I came home, my house smelled amazing and dinner was all ready to go. Kramer and Dane really liked this version of pulled pork (I usually do a bbq-style kind), and I actually liked it a lot better. It was extremely flavorful and very tender, of course. You hardly needed to shred the pork when it was done! I would highly recommend this recipe for anyone who wants a hearty, tasty meal that requires little to no effort. Recipe after the jump!

German Pulled Pork
Your few ingredients.

German Pulled Pork
Chop your carrots and onions and throw them in your crock pot (along with your Reynold’s Slow Cooker Liner, of course).

German Pulled Pork
Then add your pork on top of that.

German Pulled Pork
Toss in your salt, pepper, and thyme.

German Pulled Pork
Then add your mustard, beer, and chicken broth.

German Pulled Pork
Stir it all up a bit and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.

German Pulled Pork
I made mine into a sandwich with mayo, a bit of mustard, and lettuce on a nice roll.

German Pulled Pork
Serves: 6-8

• 4 pounds (about) pork shoulder/butt/etc.
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon thyme (dried or fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary (dried or fresh)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons sweet/hot mustard
  • 1½ cup chicken/vegetable broth
  • 2 cups heavier sweet(ish) beer, like a wheat beer or amber ale
  1. Add your onions and carrots to your crock pot.
  2. Add your pork on top of that, then season with salt, pepper, (about 2-3 teaspoons of each, I'd say, but it all depends on your personal taste) and thyme.
  3. On top of that, add your mustard, broth, and beer. Give everything a good stir and put the lid on your slow cooker. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Shred with two forks (if you need to) and serve as a sandwich or with potatoes/vegetables. Serves 6-8.

1. ingrid says:

Oh, YUM! I am all over this one. I’m going by the grocery store AGAIN this evening and am going to pick up the ingredients so that I can give it whirl. It will be perfect for tomorrow. I have so much to do and not worrying about dinner will be great!
    Also, wanted to let you know that your banana caramel cake was a HIT!!! The cake that was in the middle (touching the hole) was a tad underdone, so when I poked holes there and poured in the caramel it became nice and gooey. YUMMY! Thanks again for sharing the recipe.
    Happy Thanksgiving, Sydney!

2. Now that it’s coming to busy days for us, I need recipes that take no effort at all. Can’t come home to cook dinner at a reasonable time, so I have to make sure I start cooking before I leave.
    This looks like a winner of a dish. Thanks!

3. Katy says:

I really want a crock pot. They look so awesome. I should ask for one for Christmas if I didn’t need the money for a new camera.

4. ingrid says:

Guess what’s cooking in the crock pot? Yup, German Pulled Pork! As I mentioned in an earlier comment I stopped by the store and picked up everything. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

5. Rindy R says:

I have been loving my crock pot as well. This sounds so yummy. Some great potato salad and you’re good to go! Happy Thanksgiving!

6. RecipeGirl says:

Looks delicious. Bookmarked for a day of watching football!

7. [...] post: – German Pulled Pork Technorati Search Dane CookTechnorati Search Dane Cook – Technorati search for dane [...]

8. bestbyfarr says:

Looks great, it is making me hungry, Ryan

9. Heather S. says:

This recipe motivated me to replace the crock pot I have in storage 2,000 miles away. Target had them on sale for 15$, and with this recipe in mind, I couldn’t leave without taking one home with me.
    This recipe turned out really well. I used a wheat beer, and it was a nice complement to the pork.
    I’m thinking of making a gravy from the cooking liquid. It would be tasty on mashed taters.

10. Jen T. says:

All right, so I got the crock pot I wanted for Christmas, so once school starts up again and I don’t have time to cook, this is the first thing I’m making! I think I’ll have to invite some of the bf’s friends over, though, to even have a chance at finishing 4 pounds of pulled pork! Keep up the good work!

11. Jen T. says:

Ok, so I had to post back since I finally made this, this was delicious! My boyfriend liked it so much he even asked me to send the recipe to his mom- definitely a first! Thanks so much!

12. Louise says:

Reynold’s Slow Cooker Liner– I have never seen or heard of such thing. Learning something new everyday.

13. Jen T. says:

So I went to go make this again, and noticed that you have rosemary in the picture but not the recipe- did you end up using rosemary, or was that just a mix-up? If so, how much? Thanks!

14. thecrepesofwrath says:

Jen: I must have just forgotten about it! I used 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

15. Diana says:

Just want to say I LOVE your site & have made about half of your posted recipes. I also recently bought a crock pot & wanted to ask if you think this recipe could also be done with chicken? I’m not a pork person & neither is anyone in my family but this looks soo good! & also, where do you get those crock pot liners? Thanks!!

16. @lly says:

I loved this recipe. I really like all of your recipes, I’ve been using a couple of them for some time, and my family and friends appreciate them. I also like that when you post recipes you’ll include where you go them from, but often times your tweaks are better :P Keep it up.

17. Maria says:

Fabulous!!! Delicious and it was easy to make!

18. admin says:

Diana: Thank you so much! I don’t know that it would be as good with chicken because the fat in the pork works well with the beer, but I might be wrong, so go ahead and give it a shot! And I get the liners at Target.