This recipe is from Just Eat Food and I’m so grateful for it! It’s a simple “mash-up” of beans, rice, and chorizo, but it definitely doesn’t taste simple. This dish was quick, easy (it took about 20 minutes total), and extremely flavorful with great texture. And who doesn’t love the rich, spicy flavor of chorizo? I ate the leftovers the next day for lunch and it was even better. You can top it with whatever you like; I chose cheese, sour cream, and scallions. This is definitely a hearty meal, which is perfect for these cold winter days and nights! Kramer and I both can’t wait to eat this again. I hope everyone is having a good holiday season! Recipe after the jump.
Your easy to find ingredients. I used boil-in-a-bag brown rice from Fresh and Easy that I think is fantastic.
Chop up your onion (I used a red one because that’s what I had) and throw it in your pan for a few minutes with the olive oil
Then chop up your tomato and garlic and add them to the onion.
Cook for about 5 minutes.
Now add the chorizo, cumin, hot sauce, and beans.
Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the chorizo is cooked through. Smash some of the beans with your cooking utensil to give the dish a more rustic look.
Now, fill your bowl about 1/3 of the way full with your cooked rice.
Top that with your bean and chorizo mixture.
Chop your scallions, if you’re using them for a topping (they have a great crunchy texture and a subtle onion flavor, which is perfect for this dish).
I topped mine with shredded pepper jack cheese, low-fat sour cream, and scallions.
I couldn’t eat another bite! Well…maybe one more bite.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small red/white/yellow/whatever you want onion, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ pound chorizo (depending on if you buy it in casing or fresh, you can slice it or break it up like you would ground beef, which is what I did)
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt-added black beans, mostly drained
- 1 15 ounce can no-salt-added pinto beans, mostly drained
- A dash of hot sauce, to taste (I did 3-4 dashes)
- Brown rice, cooked according to package directions
- Shredded cheese, chopped scallions, sour cream (optional, for garnish)
- Add the oil to a large sauce pan and turn to medium heat.
- Toss in onion and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add tomato and garlic and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add cumin, chorizo, hot sauce and beans. Smash some of the black beans with the back of your cooking utensil to give them a nice, "been cooking all day", kind of feel. Cook for about 10 minutes to make sure everything is heated through and that the chorizo is cooked.
- Serve over brown rice and garnish with shredded cheese, scallions, more hot sauce, sour cream.