I found this recipe on My Feasts and the story behind it is great! Apparently Truman Capote made this dish for his black and white ball, and Ina Garten has carried on the recipe so that everyone can try it! It really was delicious and hearty – potatoes and chicken are the perfect comfort food! The smoked paprika in this is amazing and really sets the dish apart from every other chicken hash dish I’ve had and made before. The colors in this also made me really happy; I really enjoy eating bright, colorful food. Give this a whirl, it only takes about 20-30 minutes to whip up! Recipe after the jump, as always.
Boil your potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
Dice your onions.
Then saute them in the oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Chop your peppers.
Add the peppers, garlic, paprika, thyme, and tomato paste. Cook until fragrant and the peppers begin to soften a bit.
Add the potatoes and cut chicken, and season with salt and pepper if needed. Mix and cook until warmed through.
Serve garnished with scallions, as I did, and fresh parsley, if you have it.
I can’t wait to make it again!
- 1 roast chicken, deboned (I used a leftover beer can chicken that we had)
- 7 medium sized potatoes, peeled, diced (I didn't peel mine, just scrubbed 'em), and boiled until tender
- 2 red and/or yellow onions, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, diced largely (I used green)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (I used dried)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 minced scallions
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (I used dried)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in large saute pan on medium heat. Saute the diced onions until just translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- In the same pan, saute minced garlic and diced sweet peppers. Add the thyme, paprika and tomato paste and mix well.
- Once the peppers start to caramelize (about 5-7 minutes), add the potatoes and the cut chicken. Adjust seasonings and take off heat.
- Sprinkle scallions and chopped parsley before serving. Serves 4-6.