Oreo Fudge Bars

Well, first of all, I’m having a fantastic time in New York, even if it is our third time here in three years. We were in the city for one night, then Brooklyn for 2 nights, and now we’re visiting some of Kramer’s family in Westchester. I should also mention that Kramer and I got engaged on January 2nd while in Central Park! We won’t be getting married until after I graduate from school (December 2009), but we’re going to enjoy our engagement for now and that’s plenty of excitement for me. Thank you to everyone for all of the well wishes! We’re thrilled to finally be engaged after more than four years together.

Anyway, these bars are out of this world. Oreos, chocolate chips, a fudgey chocolate center…what’s not to love? I made these for Kramer’s office and sent them in on Christmas Eve. He tells me that they were a big hit! The only trick is that these are best served frozen or chilled, but if you can get past that, they’re definitely worth making. It only takes a bit to prepare everything, and the longest part of the recipe is just waiting for the bars to cool. These would be especially great to make with or for kids because of how easy they are. I’ll certainly be making these again; Oreos are always a great comfort, especially when the magic of the holidays has worn off! Recipe after the jump.

You don’t need much.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Crush your Oreos in a food processor (ideally) or by hand with a rolling pin or some other bludgeoning object (what I did). Add salt.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Mix the melted butter in with the crushed cookies, press into your prepared pan, and set aside.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Melt together the chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla, and condensed milk. Stir until smooth.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Pour the mixture over the cookie base and spread until even.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Coarsely chop the remaining cookies and add to the extra 1/2 cup of chocolate chips (I did 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup white chocolate chips).

Oreo Fudge Bars
And press that on top of the chocolate mixture. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until mostly set. Allow to cool for an hour on the counter.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Melt your white chocolate chips carefully in the microwave.

Oreo Fudge Bars
And place the melted chocolate in a plastic bag with the tip cut off to drizzle over the bars.

Oreo Fudge Bars
Allow to sit in the fridge or freezer for a few hours until chilled completely (I put mine in the freezer overnight and set it out for about 20 minutes before I cut them).

Oreo Fudge Bars
I need to make these again soon! The photos are making me wish I had kept some in the freezer for when we got back to Phoenix!

• 1 18 oz. package of Oreo cookies
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • ½ cup milk chocolate chips (could use another ½ cup semi-sweet chips if you like)
  • ½ cup mini chocolate chips (I just used another ½ cup of regular sized milk chocolate chips)
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips, melted (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 9×13 pan with foil and lightly spray with Pam. Set aside 6 Oreo cookies for the topping.
  2. In a small food processor grind the rest of the cookies. If you don’t have a food processor, just pound with a rolling pin until the cookies are fine crumbs (I do not have a food processor, so I pounded the cookies as best as I could, but the crumbs were far from "fine"...but I continued on with the recipe anyway and I didn't run into any problems). Add the salt to the crumbs and stir to combine.
  3. Melt the butter and gently stir together with the cookie crumb mixture. Press firmly into the bottom of the prepared pan. Coarsely chop the remaining cookies into chunks and set aside.
  4. Over a double boiler or in the microwave (careful not to burn the chocolate - I usually melt the chips halfway and then stir them until they've melted completely), melt ¾ cup semi-sweet and ½ cup milk chocoalte chips together with the condensed milk and vanilla.
  5. Stir the chocolate mixture frequently until smooth and spread evenly over the prepared cookie crust.
  6. Sprinkle the mini (or regular) chocolate chips and the Oreo cookies chunks over the top of the filling. Press down gently into the chocolate topping. Bake for 20-22 minutes oven.
  7. Allow to cool on counter for 1 hour, then drizzle the melted white chocolate chips over the bars (I melted the chips and put the chocolate in a plastic baggie with the tip cut off).
  8. Chill in fridge until completely cold and set before cutting into bars or it will make a big mess (seriously). These are best when firm, as the more they melt the more gooey they get and the harder they are to eat. Otherwise, though, they're absolutely delicious! Enjoy!
Adapted From

1. Katy says:

Firstly congratulations on the engagement! That’s such great news. I’m still waiting for my proposal – it’ll be our four year anniversary next month.
    I really wish I didn’t have the most awful toothache right now because they really look amazing and I just want to make some RIGHT NOW! I’ll reschedule it for next week :).

2. kdiddy says:

congratulations on your engagement!

3. Kristy says:

Congrats on the engagement! These look delicious by the way… now I’m sad I started this healthy kick. :(

4. Hunter says:

Congrats on the engagement!

5. Amie says:

congrats! but whyyyyy did you have to post these AFTER christmas????? i want them so bad :( :(

6. These look fantastic and congratulations!

7. Nicole says:

OMG girl, these are over the top in THE BEST WAY EVER.

8. bakingblonde says:

Those look so sinfully delicious!! I love that recipe, one of my all time faves and sooooooooooo simple to make! :)

9. Tiffany says:

Congrats!
    And omigosh those look amazing! I’ll have to make them…I need an occasion. Hmm my brother just got a new place, maybe that’s good enough :P

10. Yikes. Looks like a chunky chocolate delight! I want to try these.
    Great job on the photos too! :)

11. ovenhaven says:

Congrats on the engagement! What a great way to start the new year :)
    I was just wondering, if I omitted the white choc drizzle and the refrigeration bit, what would the texture be like? Dense brownies?

12. Ingrid says:

Congrats on your engagement!!! I’m still engaged after, I’m not sure how many years but our youngest is turning 10 this summer! LOL! I love to bug the kids and tell ‘em I still haven’t made a final decision about Dad! He’s 11 yrs older than me I might want a newer model!
    Those look great!!! I loved them when I saw them on Baking Blonde’s blog but hadn’t made them yet. Having seen them here you know I’ll need to give ‘em a try….perfect for baseball team of 12 & 13 yr olds!
    Take care & happy 2009!!

13. carmencooks says:

congratulations on your engagement!!! that’s wonderful for you two.
    these bars look soooo decadent!

14. [...] day started off with clicking around the internet. My First clickety clickety this morning, and here’s what I clicked. Wow. Nice way to start a wednesday, right? So, no more clicking. Too many [...]

15. jessieiscooking says:

Congrats on the engagement. I think my fiance will love these bars so I will definitely be making them sometime. I am making my fiance fudge today. :)

16. Sarah says:

congratulations! I got engaged in New York too on december 18th!

17. Congrats on the engagement. I just pasted and printed the recipe for my wife. These look so good I have a feeling they are going to end up being a home staple. Thank You very much

18. trinakc says:

Hi Sydney,
    I just came across your blog on wordpress, and I must say everything looks amazing. I’ve been living abroad for the past year and am starting to crave some good old American comfort food. Can’t wait to try some of your recipes this weekend. Love how everything is so simple. Thanks for the blog.
    Trina

19. [...] Oreo Fudge Bars Well, first of all, I’m having a fantastic time in New York, even if it is our third time here in three years. [...] [...]

20. Kate says:

Congratulations on your engagement!
    These bars look incredible and I can’t wait to make them!
    All the best for 2009!

21. Jen T. says:

Congratulations on the engagement! And I just made the bars, my kitchen smells amazing. Even the boyfriend, who doesn’t like white chocolate, is pretty sure he’ll like them. Keep up the amazing work!

22. Kevin says:

Those looks so decadent and good!

23. Pablo says:

LoL… well they do look good, and real healthy too, this is something that wont make you explode….

24. joythebaker says:

These bars look like nothing but trouble! Love!

25. yellow6347 says:

These look so good ….I could just lick the screen, but I will control myself. I love the picture presentation that you show with your recipes.
    Brenda

26. mike says:

Oreo’s and Chips Ahoy! are my favorite cookies.

27. Phaedra says:

I just wanted to thank you for the recipe, I made an absurd amount of them for a friends birthday and they were fantastic! Loved by all!

28. U. Nobody says:

Nice pictures. I’m so hungry. BTW your post is currently #46 in the WordPress Blogs of the Day. Ironically there is a post about Oreo Cupcakes that is at #49. How weird.

29. Linda says:

Congrats on the engagement. The looks amazing, and I cannot wait to make them.
    Hey, do you think if I make them for my boyfriend, who is a true chocoholic, I will get a diamond?
    It’s worth a try.

30. Caitlin says:

I should have known better than to come here when I was hungry!
    These look delicious! And congrats on your engagement. :D The FH and I have just under 10 months left to go.

31. Osama says:

Wow, those look amazing :D Bye bye diet :(

32. Biked says:

Making these for an inauguration party, I hope you don’t mind that for the night they are being called “OBAMA BARS”.

33. Kyle says:

I didn’t have much luck with this recipe.. something went wrong with the crust and it just kept crumbling when I cut it. Don’t know what I could have done.. Even kept it frozen thinking that would help keep it together, but no such luck.

34. emmyroo says:

Congrats! I was actually thinking of making these for my friend’s bachelorette party (a low-key one) but she doesn’t like white chocolate. Would these work well with dark? (which she loves)

35. Hamizah says:

they look very delicious. i’ll be making them today. cant wait for the outcome :)

36. hamizah says:

i forgot to ask how did you melt the white choc chip? email would be great, thanks!

37. genevieve says:

i made these for my husband a few weeks ago, and he looked at me and said “where’s my wife?” hahahaha. he said that these were the best dessert i had ever made, and i happen to agree with him! thank you for all of the great recipes :)

38. Mary says:

These look great! I’ll bookmark the page to try soon. Any chance you’ll be adding a feed to your blog? I’d love to put it in with all the cooking blogs I read in my Google Reader.

39. [...] Source: The Crepes of Wrath [...]

40. [...] am planning on cooking this weekend. Either brownies or oreo fudge bars. This is going to be the first time I have ever cooked (willingly) so be proud of [...]

41. CarolynB~ says:

I made these for an office birthday party….a huge hit!!!!
    I made the crust using a processor so the crumbs were fine. I did not have any problem with them needign to be chilled or served frozen. They held together beautifully!

42. Katie says:

Just stumbled upon this. They look yummy, but more importantly, hilarious blog name.
    Seriously, 5/5.

43. holly may says:

i just made these a couple of days ago for my mother’s preschool end of the year picnic. wow! these are amazing, and they definitely were a huge hit.
    the only things i would do differently next time (and trust me, there will be multiple “next time”s) would be to use a little less butter in the crust, and be sure to drizzle the white chocolate while the bars are still a little warm, so it sticks to the bars. and to cut them before they are fully cooled because i had an issue with the white chocolate drizzle just snapping and falling off in most places. (but hell, i didn’t mind, i just ate the pieces as i went along and no one was the wiser:) )
    thanks for another great recipe!

44. Me says:

I’m making these for Thanksgiving! Bet they’ll be a hit!

45. Sarah says:

I’m making these for Thanksgiving! Bet they’ll be a hit!

46. Megan says:

OMGoodness, these look sinful! These are a must make.

47. Jess says:

I just made these with golden oreos- so sinful and soo tasty!

48. Alexa says:

Omigosh! These look AMAZING. The pictures are so well done as well… I doubt I could make it to the final product without eating all those delicious pieces of crushed up oreos first, haha!

My ex boyfriend’s family used to make something similar to these, except they were in little fudge ball form. I had completely forgotten about them until I saw this recipe. I can’t wait to make these for my boyfriend, Oreo’s are his second favorite thing in the world.

I also included a little post about this in my blog, if you’d like to check it out!

Thank you for posting such deliciousness!

49. Senia says:

I stumbled upon this site/recipe months ago and bookmarked it, planning to try the recipe some day. I made them this holiday season but used Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe-Joes instead of traditional Oreos. They were out of this world!!! Thanks for a great recipe!

50. [...] rings ♥ rose petal lip stains on coffee cups ♥ Damien Rice Dogs ♥ I finally made those Oreo fudge bars that Katy recommended to me ♥ Japan, I’m so glad I’m not there for Valentine’s [...]

51. Nathan Dawthorne says:

Just made these – so good and easy too! For Xmas I’ll probably add crushed candy canes… and or some mint extract… and dye the white chocolate red and green!

52. [...] 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 18 oz. package of Oreo cookies Oreo Fudge Bars – StumbleUpon [...]

53. thecrepesofwrath says:

Thanks! And if you didn’t refrigerate them, they wouldn’t even be brownies, they’d be mush! The condensed milk part is really warm and so is the melted butter/cookie base, so it has to be chilled for at least an hour or two.

54. thecrepesofwrath says:

Emmyroo: Oh most definitely!