Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne

This is my new favorite meal, hands down! It’s bursting with rich, hearty, sweet, almost creamy flavor, all made by simply roasting vegetables in olive oil and balsamic vinegar in your oven! It couldn’t be easier to make this impressive dish. There is nothing that I would change about this meal because it’s absolutely perfect. I could honestly eat this pasta every night of the week. It even tastes great as a cold pasta salad (which is what I ate it as for lunch the next day). You NEED to make this tonight! Recipe after the jump.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Cut off the top of a bulb of garlic so you can see all of the cloves.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Quarter your onion and slice your tomatoes into halves. Place them alongside the garlic bulb on a greased and/or lined baking sheet.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Combine your olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Brush it over all of your vegetables.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Roast them at 400 degrees F for 30-35 minutes, or until the tomatoes are half of their original size.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Holding the garlic bulb with a silicon oven mitt, paper towels, or your hands if the garlic isn’t too hot, pull the cloves of garlic out of the peel.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
And place them with the other vegetables.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Mush together all of the vegetables with a spoon, fork, or whatever works. Make sure to mush up all of the garlic cloves!

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Add in the pasta and Parmesan cheese and toss to coat everything. Add in some extra olive oil, too.

Roasted Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne
Serve hot or cold! Delicious!

Serves: 2

• ½ pound whole wheat penne pasta
  • 1 large bulb of garlic, top sliced off
  • 3-4 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
  • 1 large red onion, roughly quartered
  • 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons of olive oil
  • A good pinch of sea salt and ground black pepper
  • An extra glug or two of olive oil
  • A large handful of grated Parmesan cheese (I used Parmesan and Mozzarella)
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Slice the top off the bulb of garlic so that almost all the cloves are exposed. Place the garlic in a large greased and/or lined roasting tray.
  2. Prepare the cherry tomatoes by slicing them in half. Place the tomatoes in the roasting tray alongside the garlic. Prepare the red onion by peeling and slicing into rough quarters, place alongside the tomatoes and set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, mix together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil and using a pastry brush, brush the mix over the tomatoes, the red onion, and the garlic bulb. Sprinkle the tomatoes, garlic, and onion with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
  4. Roast the tray of vegetables in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced to half their size (I roasted it for 35 minutes).
  5. While the garlic, tomatoes, and onion are roasting, bring a medium sized pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet. Drain the pasta in a colander and set aside.
  6. When the tomatoes, garlic and onion are cooked, remove them from the oven and using a fork/spoon/whatever, mash all the ingredients together in a large bowl until you have a thick, mushy sauce. Tumble the cooked pasta into the bowl and add the Parmesan cheese and an extra glug or two of olive oil. Toss everything together until the pasta is evenly coated. Serves 2.

1. ingrid says:

That does sounds & look great & I don’t even like tomatoes or onions. (the kids do, they have better eating habits!) I’m gonna give it a try, I’m certain the method would work with other veggies, too!

2. ingrid says:

The kids really like squash & zucchini. They should work if I cut ’em up a little thicker so the vinegar doesn’t overwelm them. Whaddya think?

3. Janaki says:

OMG its almost vegan!!!! Im totally trying this, I can just leave out the cheese :)

4. Cindy says:

This pasta dish looks delicious! I love roasting vegetables in the oven with a couple of simple seasonings–so easy and flavorful. I’ll have to try this recipe sometime soon.
    Cindy

5. Wow, I love this! It’s so simple… and I may have just about all of the ingredients in my pantry. What a lovely weeknight meal!

6. Familier says:

Delicious Recipe…I made it last week when I found it
    on this blog…
    i’m not saying anything! delicious meal

7. thecrepesofwrath says:

Familier: Yeah, I know where the recipe is from. That’s why I linked it where the recipe is.

8. that girl down south says:

What a great easy recipe with all my favorites. I could make it while walking the dog!

9. Laneé says:

I just discovered your blog today and I think I love you. You are the perfect woman and if I was a guy I would ask you to marry me instead of Kramer. I will be making all of your recipes (that’s my new challenge to myself) in the hopes of becoming a super fat girl. Thank you!

10. Pearl says:

so creative pictures :)

11. beansandyoga says:

I love the way you have photos of each step! I will definitely pass this on to friends.

12. Julie says:

I have to agree that looks wonderful. I LOVE roasted veggies!

13. marafaye says:

Oh wow, that looks fantastic! I’ll have to make something like this soon :)

14. EAT! says:

I love roasting vegetables during the cold winter months. It adds so much flavor. I could eat the roasted garlic just by itself!

15. anninateatime says:

I made this dish last night, and all I can say is: you cannot make too much of this! Wonderful.

16. igor5rovic says:

I will make this. Mmmmm

17. these flavors probably blend together so well…love the combination of colors

18. Elizabeth says:

I just made this and I have to say YUM!

19. mikey says:

Made this last night, it was good but I found it way too onion-y and this is coming from someone who *loves* red onions. Next time I’ll try adding something else (not quite sure what yet) to try and offset the onions.

20. thecrepesofwrath says:

I don’t think it’s too oniony at all, so that’s strange that you thought it was. I guess you don’t love red onions as much as you think you do!

21. sarah says:

this was incredible! i licked the pan!

22. Helga says:

Just made this for my family: it was absolutely delicious, everyone thought so! I added some lemon/pepper oil as a twist, so good!

23. Lu says:

Made a couple of times with some variations, and it’s amazing. Here’s what I did different (in case you’re interested in trying it):
    – Did not roast garlic with the vegetables. What I do is normally roast 3 or 4 heads of garlic and make garlic paste with them and some oil; so I just used a couple of Tbsps of garlic paste mixed with the balsamic.
    – So my glaze / vinaigrette was: garlic paste + OO + balsamic vinegar + dash of mild mustard.
    – Used yellow onions (what I had at home), and added cut asparagus.
    – When mixing aso added small squared of brined feta cheese.
    – The grated cheese I used was a mixture of Parmigiano and Pecorino.

24. […] Garlic and Cherry Tomato Penne: Dinner tonight.  Honestly, I’m not that thrilled.  It’s ok, but I don’t know that I’d make it again.  K really wasn’t a fan, he’s not big on balsamic vinegar. […]

25. Kim says:

So delicious! Wow! :)

26. Kristen says:

I made this tonight for my husband (I’m on a fast), and he loved it. I admit, I had to taste test it for him. : ) OMG delicious! This will totally be a staple in our house from now on. and so super easy! all we had on hand were apple cider vinegar, out of balsamic, and yellow onions. they gave the dish a sweet carmelized flavor. i can’t wait to try the balsamic, red onion version you made. but for those who are looking for a more subtle onion flavor, the yellow might give them a sweeter softer effect.

27. […] 10, 2009 by chispita_666 Thanks to The Crêpes of Wrath’s Roasted garlic and cherry tomato penne recipe I came up with my own version of easy pasta. I’m calling it everything goes pasta […]

28. amateur says:

haha don’t use normal tomatoes nor add any more balsamic vinegar after taking out of oven.

29. Guest says:

Maybe the person who thought this was too onion-y didn’t roast the onions for long enough? When roasted, the red onions become very mild and sweet and not overpowering at all. In fact, I only used about 3/4 of my onion because it was so large and now wish I had used it all.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

30. Gigi says:

I will muse forever on how wonderful this tastes refrigerated! Many thanks!

31. Kimmie says:

I am a VERY amateur cook and a very good baker. Your blog initially attracted me because of a search for Macadamia Nut Cookies, which my boyfriend loves. Then I started exploring and discovered even more! Thanks for all your recipes, they are great and inspire me to learn to cook. (Which has been a daunting task)
    I would love to read a “Top 10 Favorite Dishes” list, or a “Perfect Dinner from Appetizer to Dessert” plan!
    Thanks!

32. Carleigh says:

Hey, I’m going to make this as a cold pasta salad but I’ve got some really nice feta stuffed green olives that I would like to add. Do you think that would work together? I just really love olives in pasta salads!

33. Sarah K. Brown says:

Sydney — I made this earlier this week and added some goat cheese in addition to pecorino romano and it was a GREAT addition. yum!

34. […] Garlic Tomato and Sausage Pasta adapted from Stephanie Cooks, originally from The Crepes of Wrath Makes 3-4 servings 1/2 pound tubular pasta (I used rotini but I would suggest penne) 1 large […]

35. thecrepesofwrath says:

Ingrid: Absolutely! I might have to try this myself!

36. thecrepesofwrath says:

Janaki: I always get excited when I post something that I know you can make! hahah.