When I saw this recipe on A Good Appetite, I was a bit skeptical. I wasn’t sure that garlic and cinnamon would make for a good combination. I did have a bottle of white wine and some chicken breasts, though, so I figured I would give it a go. Turns out, it was delicious! The cinnamon adds a nice, sweet flavor to the garlic and brings the dish to a whole new level. I also love anything that’s cooked in wine, it always tastes so flavorful. The end result is a bit like a chunky pasta sauce. I piled it on top of some whole wheat egg noodles and threw some Parmesan cheese on top of that (I actually liked it better without the cheese). I also liked that this recipe had spinach, because sometimes it’s so hard to get vegetables into meals! As always, you’ll find the recipe after the jump!
The ingredients you’ll need.
Mix together the cinnamon, salt, and black pepper. Rub it into the chicken pieces.
Add the chicken to the pan and cook until no longer pink.
When cooked, remove to a plate or bowl and set aside.
Add the garlic and onion to the skillet and cook until the onions are just starting to brown.
Add the white wine and scrape up any browned bits at the bottom of the pan.
When the wine has evaporated, add the water, tomato paste, whole garlic clove, and chicken to the pan.
Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes and cook your noodles while you wait.
When finished simmering, add your spinach and cook until wilted.
Serve over your whole wheat egg noodles and enjoy!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (2 minced and 1 peeled and left whole)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine (you can substitute chicken broth if you didn't have wine)
- 1 cup water
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- 2-3 cups spinach leaves, roughly torn
- ½ cup grated Romano/Parmesan/etc. cheese
- 1 package whole wheat egg noodles
- Mix the salt, cinnamon, and pepper together. Rub the mixture on the cut up chicken pieces to completely coat them.
- Heat the oil olive in a large, skillet with a lid over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until it is no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the skillet andset aside.
- Add the onion and minced garlic to the skillet. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to brown. Add the wine and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Let the wine cook until it is evaporated.
- Add the water, tomato paste, whole garlic clove, and chicken to the pan. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until the chicken is tender. Cook your noodles while you wait.
- Add salt and pepper if needed (I didn't add any). Mix in the spinach leaves and cook until wilted. Serve over egg noodles and top with grated cheese if desired. Serves 3.