Mongolian Beef

THIS DISH IS SO GOOD. I found it on Pink Bites and I can’t say enough good things about it. It tastes exactly like something that you’d get at a Chinese restaurant. Mongolian beef is Kramer’s favorite thing to get when we go out for Chinese, so I was really happy that I was able to recreate his favorite dish! I can’t wait to make this again. The sauce is incredible and goes great over rice on its own. Recipe after the jump, as always!

Mongolian Beef

I used cube steak, but you can use whatever cut of meat you’ve got, mostly. Slice it against the grain if you use cube steak, though. I even put mine in the freezer for about 10 minutes to make it easier to slice.

Mongolian Beef

Sprinkle the cornstarch over the sliced beef.

Mongolian Beef

Shake of the excess cornstarch in a colander or mesh sieve.

Mongolian Beef

Add the ginger and the garlic to the pan.

Mongolian Beef

Then add the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Cook the sauce for about two minutes.

And transfer to a bowl.

Mongolian Beef

Cook the meat in the same pan until no longer pink.

Mongolian Beef

Add the sauce back to the pan. I reduced the sauce for about 10 minutes on medium-high heat because I wanted it to be pretty thick, like at a restaurant.

Mongolian Beef

Serve over rice and enjoy!

Serves: 2

• 1 lb of flank steak or cube steak, thinly sliced crosswise
  • ¼ cup of cornstarch
  • 3 teaspoons of canola oil
  • ½ teaspoon grated ginger (about ½ inch piece)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 2 -3 large cloves)
  • ½ cup water
  • ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 3 large green onions, sliced
  • Rice, for serving
  1. For the meat, make sure the steak slices are dry by patting them with a paper towel. Slice them into strips, then add the cornstarch to the beef. Place the slices in a strainer and shake off excess corn starch. Begin to cook the rice while you prepare the rest of the meal.
  2. For the sauce, heat half of the oil in a large wok or pan at medium-high heat and add the garlic and the ginger. Immediately add the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and pepper flakes. Cook the sauce for about 2 minutes and transfer to a bowl. Don't worry if the sauce doesn't look thick enough at this point. The corn starch in the beef will thicken it up later.
  3. Place the meat in the same pan, add in the rest of the oil if needed, and cook, stirring until it is all browned (this is a quick thing). Pour the sauce back into the wok/pan and let it cook along with the meat.
  4. You can cook down the sauce to reduce it to thicken or leave it thinner. Add the green onions on the last minute so the green parts will stay green and the white parts crunchy. Serve it hot with rice. Serves 2.
Adapted From

1. mikey says:

Instant rice? You should turn in your foodie badge :)

2. thecrepesofwrath says:

I actually just got a rice cooker from my mom so I’m all set now! hahah.

3. Laura says:

wow this looks amazing! Looking forward to trying this recipe : )

4. Kate says:

I’m addicted to your blog! Beautiful pictures as always (especially of the sauce swirling in the bowl)! Looks like a delicious recipe too; can’t wait to try it.

5. Kenna says:

This looks fantastic…I love Chinese food! Gonna try it soon!

6. Erin says:

This looks phenomenal and so simple. I’m a sucker for Chinese food, so I may have to try it out.

7. Rita says:

I am so glad you tried it out and liked it! This dish never gets old here at home…. Love your blog, specially the name!
    xoxo

8. ingrid says:

Looks & sounds good. Love that as usual you’re pass along a recipe I probably wouldn’t have seen or thought to make.
    Btw, anytime I make a “stirfry” with beef it ends up tough. Any suggestions? THX!

9. Pearl says:

I’m always so scared to cook meat cause i’m’ so afraid that it’ll be raw on the inside but burnt on the outside. i let my momma cook the meat :)

10. Kevin says:

That beef looks really tasty!

11. bob says:

use 1 tsp. of baking soda in the meat prior to cooking. that is the trick to get meat as tender as in the restaurant. you’ll have to add a bit of salt as well, just a 1/2 tsp. baking soda will mellow the salt flavor in the soy sauce.

12. Helga says:

That looks delicious! I’d love to try and make this for my housemates. Do you have any suggestions for veggie side dishes?

13. pepsakoy says:

Excellent Photos..they made me hungry indeed !!

14. Katrina says:

Oh my, where did you get that huge box of rice? With the corny label and everything?

15. Jen T. says:

Oh man, I love the picture of the sauce swirling in the bowl, it’s so pretty! And you can see your kitchen in the reflection of the bowl as well-even more fun! Although I’m kind of jealous, my kitchen definitely isn’t that clean…

16. Katy says:

I’ll definitely be making this sometime next week. Your beef and broccoli stir-fry went down so well with everyone, even my fussy two year old liked it so hopefully this one will be a keeper too.

17. sarsen56 says:

Thanks, this looks so good! It will be my next new cooking adventure…

18. limeandlemon says:

This looks really delicious .. perfect … Laila .. http://limeandlemon.wordpress.com/

19. ingrid says:

Thanks, Sydney!

20. Jessie says:

Nice! This looks great. 😀 Thanks so much.
    +Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

21. slayerftw says:

Wow! looks yummy to eat. I think I’m going to try this out. Thanks.^^.

22. sara says:

This looks really delicious! Also, I love the name of your blog. 😉

23. wow… that looks great!!!
    I’m starvin’ Earl…we got any mongolians back there?

24. Halley says:

Just made this and it was absolutely amazing! I added a touch of mirin to the sauce and some sesame seeds. Wow!

25. Gwen says:

I made this with tofu instead of beef and it came out delicious! I threw in some thinly sliced onion and yellow bell pepper too. The ginger/garlic/soy combo is brilliant.

26. Rhonda says:

The hubby will actually eat Mongolian beef and this looks pretty simple, I will have to give it a try!

27. Will Smith says:

Tasty, but thats some heavy duty meat for two! I might add some peppers and lighten the sugar a little next time but overall a quick, easy and tasty recipe.
    Thanks

28. Tanya says:

I just made this tonight after finding your website this past weekend. This is fantastic! I added orange zest because I had some extra oranges lying around. Yummy!
    Great website!

29. mia7508 says:

I just made this, and it’s quick, easy, and WONDERFUL! I added more red pepper flakes and more ginger. yum! thanks!

30. Rahul says:

Looks delicious, love the post. Can you tell me what the purpose of the corn starch is? I’ve never used it when pan-cooking meat and I rarely make red meat, but I may have to after seeing this! Thanks

31. thecrepesofwrath says:

Rahul: Corn starch allows the sauce to thicken! It’s a thickening agent, essentially. You can use it in almost anything. :)

32. Laurie says:

Hey I just made this, but i substituted with pork, as we didn’t have any beef.
    In the last 5 min I tossed in some fresh broccoli, and shredded red cabbage and some spanish onion.
    Sauce tasted amazing !!
    Thanks for the great recipe !

33. […] Mongolian Beef THIS DISH IS SO GOOD. I found it on Pink Bites and I can’t say enough good things about it. It tastes exactly […] […]

34. Mel says:

I made this for dinner tonight, and all I can say is YUM (and my boyfriend thanks you too). I’m more of a casserole cook usually – this was adventurous for me, but you made it look so simple (and it was!) that I couldn’t resist. Found your blog via StumbleUpon and I will keep coming back now. I’ve got to try more. :)

35. Spanky Woo says:

Mmmmmm, can’t wait to try it!

36. e-rock says:

Looks delicious! I’ll add this one to my list of recipes to try!

37. ryan says:

Looks good. I can’t wait to go to great wall and pick some up:)

38. Tram Le says:

I have only cooked beef once this year, but you have changed my mind! Glad I stumbled upon your site…great pics and writing!

39. zivilprozess says:

this is the best cooking blog iv ever seen

40. Daximo says:

This looks awesome! my boyfriend is not overly keen on beef but I’m hoping this might change his mind…

41. Margaret says:

yummmmmmm!
    Just made this and served to my husband. Very reminiscent of our favorite Chinese restaurants out in CA. This part of NC lacks decent Chinese restaurants, so we’re thrilled.
    One small change – the restaurant I first learned about Mongolian beef used carrots instead of green onions… so I took a peeler and “grated” a carrot for garnish. Worked GREAT!

42. alifeintechnicolor says:

Oh my goodness…I’m a college student and I love to entertain my friends with my cooking and meals. I made this for a friend tonight and she LOVED IT! I served it with jasmine rice because I’m not a fan of instant and it was so delicious! Thank you!!!
    Bailey

43. The Style PA says:

I might have to give this one a go… looks delish.

44. Kenny says:

Oooh. This looks great! Can’t wait to try it out here with friends. Did that baking soda trick work for anyone? I’m curious…

45. Kenny says:

Excellent. I’m making it tonight!
    *Shuffles to the grocery*
    (btw – LOVE the blog)

46. Gina says:

I’m making this next week!

47. Zentaro says:

Thank you for the recipe. I’m going to try it this week.

48. Rie says:

I just finished making this and it tastes AMAZING! I love how simple it is. =D

49. fussball says:

Gute Arbeit hier! Gute Inhalte.

50. mike says:

I made this over the weekend and it was a huge disappointment. I’m not sure what was wrong – it didn’t have the rich, almost black color that you got out of it Sydney. Or that my local Pei Wei gets out of it too. I’m convinced it’s my anodized wok, which I consistently seem to get bad dishes out of. I might try this again with a non stick stainless pan to see if that makes a difference.

51. Sarah says:

Ok, so in any of your photos that have rice in them, the rice always looks perfect. Do you have a secret? A rice cooker? Instant? Really, what?! My rice never looks that good!

52. Leo says:

I cooked this recipe the other day for my GF and my parents, with brocolies and a nice salad on rice.
    We all agreed it was really superb !
    Thanks for the recipe, I’m cooking it again tonight 😉

53. […] A RECIPE FOR MONGOLIAN BEEF from cool food-blog The Crepes Of Wrath. […]

54. careylenn says:

I am on Weight Watchers so I changed from beef to chicken, used 2 tsp. oil and added 1 cup of broccoli. Cut the calories and was still very yummy!

55. kevIN says:

My wife and I made this meal today – cut the onions out and it was still enjoyable. We will be making this again – thanx!

56. Made it last night. You went yard, as they say. DEFINITELY making this again soon.

57. […] for the last five and a half years, see an occasional cooking post here from time to time.  Like this recipe for Mongolian beef I found at the Prof’s that I took out for a spin Saturday […]

58. […] this for my Dad, who loves Mongolian Beef. I like it too, although I prefer hot spicy things, like General Tso’s Chicken. 1 lb of flank […]

59. RacinReaver says:

I’ve found that when I put cornstarch in a stir-fry prior to adding the sauce, the sauce will never quite wet the meat/veggies I’m cooking with. Does the meat pick up any sort of extra crunch due to your coating it, or would I be just as well off adding the cornstarch at the end after cooked the sauce down for a minute or two with the beef and am looking to get to my desired thickness?

60. Pooky Bear says:

My four boys ages 3 to 12 loved this. I think a 1/2 lb. of meat per serving is a bit much for kids, though. Note to others–be sure to use low-sodium soy sauce because it can get pretty salty in the reduction!

61. Beverly says:

Maybe I missed it some how, but the recipe doesn’t tell you when to add the other half of the oil. I added it just before adding the beef to the wok. This recipe is SO delicious. My family loved it.

62. Lauren Babbs says:

It was great! Easy, fairly inexpensive, and delicious! I used the flank steak– I’m not a huge fan of the texture of cube steak– it was tender and really good.

63. […] cooked this Mongolian Beef recipe tonight, and it was oh so […]

64. […] Mongolian beef from a blog that has a great name. […]

65. Peabody304 says:

I saw this on SayUncle’s blog yesterday around 5PM (just before I left work). It was on the table by 7 PM. It was very good. Thanks to both of you.

66. mel says:

This was fabulous! I added some fresh raw red pepper on top of it all at the end and it made it even better!
    Easy and delicious!

67. The Lakeland Two says:

This was excellent. I also cooked red, green and yellow peppers with onions, snow peas and mushrooms. Served it on the side. A definite keeper.
    Your pictures really helped. Thanks!

68. Bill White says:

I made this for supper tonight, but with sliced boneless chicken breast instead of beef – it’s perfect!

69. Wacky Hermit says:

I made this twice so far. The first time it was too sweet for my taste, so I cut the sugar in half. I also substituted a bit of onion powder for the green onions, since my husband is allergic to green onions if they’re not cooked to mushiness. And I used chili paste instead of the red pepper flakes.
    Everybody in the family liked it, and it’s a rare dish that pleases everybody and doesn’t set off anyone’s food allergies. It’s on the menu rotation now!

70. susana says:

Today We did lunch. My Husband gave me a hand with the sauce as I sliced the meat. We were out of ginger but it really did work after all. The fun part was to replace the brown sugar in order to make the recipe more “light”. I must tell you all that it was a really tasty dish!
    Thanks for you´re wonderfull recipes, I’m definitely cooking this again. Love your blog and you´re pictures are very usefull!!

71. Susie says:

I made this last weekend—it was fantastic!. I used stir-fry beef (already-sliced strips of beef found in the meat aisle) and I served it with steamed broccoli and white rice.
    I think the trick is to brown your meat just enough, but not too much, and let it finish cooking as the sauce thickens. I browned mine too much and so I ended up taking the meat out of the sauce so I could let the sauce finish reducing and get that thick, dark brown color like in the picture.
    A pound of beef and a head of steamed broccoli made enough for four servings (or three pretty generous servings).
    Will definitely make again!

72. […] Mongolians got along, but at this point, I don’t care.  Thanks to one of my favorite blogs, “The Crepes of Wrath,” for the recipe.  Here’s how it went […]

73. Christy says:

Another trick used to make the beef tender is a technique called “velveting the meat”. Just Google “velveting the beef” and you’ll get lots of recipes. It basically is the same as coating the beef with the cornstarch however the “official” method utilizes egg whites & cornstarch. Generally it is recommended to soak whatever meat you are stir frying for at least 30 minutes in a cornstarch & egg white mixture.

74. Mana says:

I only have regular soy sauce, any suggestions on how to change the recipe so I can use it instead?
    Also half a cup is like a third of my soy sauce bottle… that’s my only complaint about this recipe :(

75. Carly says:

I made this for dinner last night and it was DELICIOUS!

76. Song says:

Yum! Husband loved it too. I didn’t pay attention to how much ginger or garlic I was putting in, but we love ’em so kept them plenty. Served over rice and steamed Asian veggie mix from Trader Joe’s. Adding this to the recipe book. Thanks a bunch!

77. Joan says:

This recipe is an absolute winner. I made it for my extended family, and we couldn’t get enough. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

One observation: you say to use half the oil to cook the garlic, but never mention when or how to use the other half.

78. […] friend Barb-o-rama in NJ sent me over to this site a while back for this recipe for Mongolian Beef and I’ll admit it took me a while to get […]

79. Kevin says:

I cooked this recipe the other day with some modifications and it was terrific! I used chicken instead of beef, squeezed a couple oranges into the sauce, and added a good amount of stir fry vegetables to make a spicy orange chicken. Great job with the ingredients by you! Absolutely terrific!

80. Mia says:

I made this tonight and it was delicious! Even my picky daughter ate every bite. Thank you for a regular item on our dinner menu!

81. debbie says:

This recipe is totally awesome, made it with beef and then again with pork. My husband loves chinese and this recipe is by far as good or better than a chinese restruraunt. Thanks for sharing :-)

82. […] decided on this baby, as I was looking for a recipe using cube steak that wasn’t chicken fried steak. Don’t get me […]

83. Bali Tour says:

84. thecrepesofwrath says:

Ingrid: Thanks! The same thing used to happen to me because I was letting the meat cook too long with the sauce. I cook the meat until it just has barley any pink left, but there can still be some, and then I let it finish cooking as the sauce reduces.

85. thecrepesofwrath says:

Katrina: Fresh and Easy!

86. thecrepesofwrath says:

Helga: I think some simple broccoli or edamame or or just stir fried vegetables (peppers, broccoli, onion, etc.) would do just fine!

87. thecrepesofwrath says:

Mike: If you’ve seen a pattern between bad dishes and the same pan, I would definitely try a new pan because everyone I know personally who has tried this really liked it, even people who aren’t “seasoned cooks”! You also may not have reduced it enough, but let me know how your cooking goes after you ditch that wok!

88. thecrepesofwrath says:

Sarah: It’s most definitely a rice cooker!

89. thecrepesofwrath says:

RacinRaver: I think that adding the corn starch at the beginning helps to incorporate it into the sauce, and it thickens as it cooks. I’m not sure how it would turn out by adding it later, but go ahead and give it a go and let me know!

90. thecrepesofwrath says:

Mana: You can use full sodium soy sauce if you like, I just prefer it because the salt is so bad for you! I would highly recommend buying it next time instead. But in the meantime, you can also cut down the soy sauce to maybe 1/3 a cup?