Let’s hear it for the crock pot (or slow cooker)! It’s my saving grace! I love coming home and having everything already done for me. Dane and Kramer love crock pot meals, too. They’re always hearty and satisfying and comforting. This is a shredded taco chicken chili that I found on Gina’s Weight Watchers Recipes (it’s my new favorite blog – everything on there is simple, low-carb/low-calorie, and freakin’ delicious). I was going to eat this with rice, but then I saw that we were out of it, so we ate it with tortilla chips, some sour cream, and shredded cheese. The recipe calls for a package of taco mix, but I made my own to keep the sodium down and it turned out really well. Shredded chicken makes for the best chili, I would say, so you should definitely give this a try! Recipe after the jump.
Rinse your beans and pat them dry.
Spray your crock pot well with Pam (or use a crock pot liner if you’re not out of them like I am) and add your beans, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
Now make your taco seasoning! You can also just buy a taco seasoning package at the store.
Mix up all of the spices and add them to the crock pot.
Stir everything up.
Place your chicken breasts over the tomato mixture.
Turn the crock pot on low for 8-10 hours and go about your day!
When it’s ready, shred the chicken with two forks and serve with some low-fat sour cream and cheddar cheese over rice or with tortilla chips (or even on its own!).
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 16-oz can no-salt-added black beans
- 1 16-oz can no-salt-added kidney beans
- 1 8-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 6 teaspoons chili powder
- 5 teaspoons paprika
- 4½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons onion powder
- 2½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- low-fat sour cream (optional)
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- Rice, tortilla chips, tortillas (for serving)
- Combine beans, onion, chili peppers, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper (if you don't have these spices, you can just buy a package of taco seasoning) in a slow cooker.
- Place chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours.
- Half hour before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in.
- Top with fresh cilantro, low-fat sour cream, and cheese. Serve over rice, with tortilla chips, or eat by itself! Serves 6.