How cute are these cupcakes?! I got the idea from Gastronomy Blog and it was brilliant! I’m definitely going to be experimenting with different cereal toppings after this. The cake itself was perfect. It was basically a yellow cake, but the orange and lemon zest really gave it an extra something. I’m absolutely going to be using this cake recipe from now on, even without the zest! Everyone who came over for Lost night (yes, we host a Lost night every Wednesday) really liked them. The recipe is after the jump, as always!
The note that I had to put on the box of Froot Loops so they wouldn’t all get eaten before I made the cupcakes.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter until light and fluffy. Then, add the egg and vanilla.
Gradually add in a third of the flour, then half of the milk, a third of the flour, half of the milk, then a third of the flour again. Mix until JUST moistened.
Then fold in the zest.
Put 1/4 cup of batter into each of your greased and/or lined muffin tins.
Sprinkle each one with a good amount of Froot Loops (it might look like a lot, but the muffin will bake and rise up and they’ll disperse). Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes are just becoming golden.
Allow them to finish cooling in the tins before removing.
Ta-Da! Be sure to sprinkle some powdered sugar over them when they’ve cooled completely.
These were honestly some of my favorite cupcakes ever.
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup milk (I used 1%)
- Zest from 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1½ cups Froot Loops
- Powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and/or line 12 muffin cups.
- Using a mixer, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the sugar and continue to cream for 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. mixing in well.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix into the butter mixture alternating with the milk in 3 batches (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour). Add orange and lemon zest to batter.
- Scoop ¼ cup of the batter into each muffin cup of the prepared pan, and sprinkle the tops with a generous amount of cereal.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cupcakes are puffed and firm in the center and light golden brown on the edges. When ready, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the muffin tins for about 10 minutes. Remove from the tins and allow them to cool completely before sprinkling with powdered sugar. Makes 12 cupcakes.