I loved these muffins! Tangy dried cranberries with a hint of orange zest, topped off with a sweet, crunchy crumb topping. What’s not to love? These are great for breakfast, too. I even added some flaxseed to add a healthy touch. I made these for some friends and they liked them almost as much as I did. The recipe called for buttermilk, but I didn’t have any, so I made my own! I’ll show you how in the post. I’ll absolutely be making these again. Recipe after the jump!
To make your own buttermilk, put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a measuring cup.
Then add enough milk to that to make 1 cup. Do not stir! Just let it sit for 5 minutes and ta-da! You have made your own buttermilk. It couldn’t be easier.
Combine the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
Whisk it all together.
Zest your orange and add it to the sugar.
Rub the zest together with the sugar using your fingers until it’s a light orange color.
Combine the flour, flaxseed (if you’re using it), baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl with the sugar. Stir in the cranberries.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.
Place 1/4 cup of batter into each greased and/or lined muffin cup.
Now, make your crumb topping. Mix together your butter and sugar with your hands.
Then, using your hands, combine the butter with the salt, flour, and cinnamon. Keep mixing with your hands until you form crumbs.
Sprinkle a teaspoon of the crumb topping over each muffin cup filled with batter.
Then sprinkle a bit of turbinado sugar over all of that, if you’re using it. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until the tops are set and just golden. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the tins.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest of 1 orange
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- (recipe for buttermilk follows - it's easy!)
- ⅔ cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups dried cranberries
- ¼ cup butter, room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375
- degrees F and grease and/or line your muffin tins.
- In medium bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and set aside. If you don't have buttermilk, just put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then you've got buttermilk!
- Zest your orange and put it in a bowl with the sugar. Rub it together with your hands until the sugar is a light orange color. Add in the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold the cranberries into the dry mix. Gently pour the wet mix onto the dry mix and fold to combine. Do not over mix! Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter.
- To make the crumb topping, combine the room temperature butter and sugar in a bowl with your hands. Add salt, cinnamon, and the flour and mix with your hands. You will want to keep mixing until the mixture turns into little crumbs the size of rice. Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the muffins. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over that, if you're using it.
- Place muffins in the oven and bake for about 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in the tins before removing.