Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins

I loved these muffins! Tangy dried cranberries with a hint of orange zest, topped off with a sweet, crunchy crumb topping. What’s not to love? These are great for breakfast, too. I even added some flaxseed to add a healthy touch. I made these for some friends and they liked them almost as much as I did. The recipe called for buttermilk, but I didn’t have any, so I made my own! I’ll show you how in the post. I’ll absolutely be making these again. Recipe after the jump!

Ingredients.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
To make your own buttermilk, put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a measuring cup.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Then add enough milk to that to make 1 cup. Do not stir! Just let it sit for 5 minutes and ta-da! You have made your own buttermilk. It couldn’t be easier.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Combine the buttermilk, eggs, oil, and vanilla.

Whisk it all together.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Zest your orange and add it to the sugar.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Rub the zest together with the sugar using your fingers until it’s a light orange color.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Combine the flour, flaxseed (if you’re using it), baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl with the sugar. Stir in the cranberries.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Place 1/4 cup of batter into each greased and/or lined muffin cup.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Now, make your crumb topping. Mix together your butter and sugar with your hands.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Then, using your hands, combine the butter with the salt, flour, and cinnamon. Keep mixing with your hands until you form crumbs.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Sprinkle a teaspoon of the crumb topping over each muffin cup filled with batter.

Cranberry Orange Crumb Top Muffins
Then sprinkle a bit of turbinado sugar over all of that, if you’re using it. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes, or until the tops are set and just golden. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the tins.

Enjoy!

Serves: 20 muffins

Muffins
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • zest of 1 orange
  • 2½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (optional)
  • 1 large egg
  • ¾ cup buttermilk
  • (recipe for buttermilk follows - it's easy!)
  • ⅔ cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • extract
  • 3 cups dried cranberries
Crumb Topping
  • ¼ cup butter, room temperature
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • pinch salt
  • ½ cup flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • turbinado sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
  1. Preheat the oven to 375
  2. degrees F and grease and/or line your muffin tins.
  3. In medium bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla and set aside. If you don't have buttermilk, just put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar into a liquid measuring cup and then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then you've got buttermilk!
  4. Zest your orange and put it in a bowl with the sugar. Rub it together with your hands until the sugar is a light orange color. Add in the flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Fold the cranberries into the dry mix. Gently pour the wet mix onto the dry mix and fold to combine. Do not over mix! Fill each muffin cup with ¼ cup of batter.
  5. To make the crumb topping, combine the room temperature butter and sugar in a bowl with your hands. Add salt, cinnamon, and the flour and mix with your hands. You will want to keep mixing until the mixture turns into little crumbs the size of rice. Sprinkle the crumb topping onto the muffins. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar over that, if you're using it.
  6. Place muffins in the oven and bake for about 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes in the tins before removing.
Adapted From

1. K says:

Those look yummy! My mother always added her baking soda to the homemade butter milk, if you do be careful, it foams up as you mix it, but it makes for a more fluffy muffin/cake. I’m adding this recipe to my recipe folder…thanks for sharing!

2. Memoria says:

The buttermilk substitute is really called and is sour milk. I usually put 1/4th-1/2 less than what the recipe calls for when I use sour milk as a substitute because it is more “liquidy” than real buttermilk and therefore changes the consistency of the batter.

3. genevieve says:

these look absolutely amazing! i can’t wait to try them.

4. Elyse says:

Cranberry and orange?! One of the best flavor combinations!! Man, you’ve got a nice big helping of “crumb” on top of these muffins, and it’s making my mouth water. I just bought a new muffin pan today, and I think I should christen it with these muffins. They look so good!

5. sounds good. and cranberries are good for uti

6. orange2peel says:

Nice, nice!

7. arundati says:

wow… looks great……maybe moksha for my bag of dried cranberries……..

8. vintagetriggy says:

Wow..looks so delicious! yum!

9. Michela says:

‘Bravo!’
    :-)
    These muffins are THE perfect breakfast!
    Congrats from Italy, then!!

10. ingrid says:

Love the photo of the orange sugar. Looks like it would be great sprinkled over cereal or on top of something baked.
    I almost never by buttermilk as I don’t use it up fast enough. Like you I’ve been making sour milk (just learned that here). I’ve not used white wine vinegar. I’ve used white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. (Oops, I’ve also stirred.) Do you think it matters what vinegar? I also I recently learned that you can use sour cream in place of the buttermilk. Tried it? What’s your opinion?
    Thx and your muffins look great. I like how you often top your baked goodies with the turbinado sugar.

11. Monique says:

WOw! I love that combo! mmmm!

12. […] then get creative by adding different fruits, chocolate, or whatever you heart (or belly) desires. Crepes of Wrath adapted the recipe and added dried orange… sounds and looks […]

13. Steph says:

I always have to use buttermilk substitute. I never knew I wasn’t supposed to stir, thanks for the tip. Those muffins look so good, I feel like making some now, especially since I’ve never tried a crumb topping before

14. okay it looks like it would taste amazing, but if not who would care?! THE PHOTO is FANTASTIC alone! YAY!

15. Bianca says:

I love your site :)
    I use natural plain yogurt in place of buttermilk in recipes, which is quicker if you are rushing!

16. […] 21, 2009 by Sara I found this recipe on The Crepes of Wrath blog, and it looked so delicious (one among many) I decided to veganize it. […]

17. thecrepesofwrath says:

Memoria: I’ll keep that in mind! Although I’ve used it in a few recipes at this point and it’s worked really well!

18. thecrepesofwrath says:

K: That’s a great idea. I’ll definitely try that!

19. thecrepesofwrath says:

Ingrid: I’ve never tried using sour cream. Do you think it’d be too heavy? Have you tried it? haha. I’m kind of afraid to! The only reason I say not to stir is that the first time I tried it, I didn’t stir and my muffins came out great, and the next time I tried it, I stirred and I felt that the muffins weren’t as fluffy and tasted too sour comparatively.