These are ooey, gooey, crunchy, and delicious! They’re from one of my favorite blogs, The Homesteading Housewife and they’re probably the most simple thing I’ve made in a while. All you need is peanut butter, honey, sugar, and Cheerios! It’s that easy. I used half chunky peanut butter and half creamy, as well as half regular Cheerios and half Honey Nut Cheerios. These taste identical to those “breakfast bars” that you can buy pre-packaged at the grocery store. I think I need to try making a “milk” topping (aka frosting) the next time I make these to perfect the breakfast bar idea. Either way, I put these out when we had people over and they were gone by the time the night was finished. I definitely recommend making these! Recipe after the jump.
All that you need.
Spray a small sauce pan with Pam and combine your honey and sugar.
Bring the mixture to a boil and make sure that all of the sugar is dissolved.
Add your peanut butter and remove the pan from the heat. Stir to melt the peanut butter in with the honey and sugar.
Place your Cheerios in a large mixing bowl, and pour the peanut butter-honey mixture over them. Stir to incorporate thoroughly.
Spread into a greased 9×13 pan and press down with a greased spoon (I usually spray mine with Pam) to make everything as smooth and even as possible.
Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- 1 cup crunchy or smooth peanut butter (I used ½ cup crunchy, ½ smooth, but I think that I would use just crunchy next time)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 6 cups Cheerios cereal (I used 3 cups Cheerios and 3 cups Honey Nut Cheerios)
- Grease and/or line a 9x13 pan and set aside. In a small sauce pan sprayed with Pam, bring the honey and sugar to a boil over medium heat. As soon as the sugar is dissolved, remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the peanut butter until well blended and melted.
- Place your Cheerios in a large mixing bowl and pour the peanut butter-honey mixture over the cereal, stirring until everything is well coated.
- Spray a wooden spoon with Pam and pour/spread the cereal into your prepared pan, pressing down to make sure everything is smooth and even. Set aside and allow to cool before slicing into squares.