I’m a big fan of tomato soup, but I’ve never made it from scratch before. Kramer bought me a food processor last month as a surprise, though, so I knew it was time that I tackled a tomato soup recipe. I decided to start simple, and I used a recipe from Cooking Light. It was delicious! The tomato flavor is rich and fresh. It doesn’t taste salty or watery or anything like the soup from the can does. It’s a simple tomato soup that you can whip up in no time. Kramer isn’t a big fan of tomatoes in general, but he even said that this was good and my brother loved it, like me. I would definitely recommend making this soup if it’s your first time making tomato soup. I’ll definitely be looking for a more complex tomato soup in the future, but for now, this one is delicious. Recipe after the jump!
Dice your onions and add them to your pot.
Chop your celery.
And quarter your tomatoes.
Toss the tomatoes and celery into the pot with the onions and add the basil, tomato paste, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Place the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Top with some plain yogurt or sour cream and fresh basil!
Enjoy with some grilled cheese (of course).
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds (5-6) tomatoes, quartered
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Combine the chicken broth, onion, celery, 1 tablespoon sliced basil, tomato paste, and tomatoes in a large pot or saucepan and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- When ready, place the mixture in a food processor or blender (if your blender/processor is small, do half of the mixture at a time). Remove the center piece of the blender lid to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel or paper towel over the opening in the blender lid to prevent splatters.
- Blend until smooth. Stir in the salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with 1 tablespoon of yogurt or sour cream and a pinch of the fresh basil.