Cinnamon Bun Muffins

These are fantastic. It’s (almost) like having a cinnamon bun and it takes fractions of the time! They’re soft, warm, and gooey – what more do you need? The cake itself actually has yeast in it, so you get an authentic cinnamon bun taste. The crumb is light and fluffy, while the topping is sweet and crunchy. I was extremely pleased with how these turned out and I would definitely recommend this recipe from Joy the Baker. Photos and recipe after the jump!

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Heat your milk (I used 1%) up in the microwave until it’s about 100-110 degrees F.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
And dissolve your yeast in it.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Combine the flour with the milk, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Pour the batter into your greased and/or lined muffin tins (I did a bit less than 1/4 cup for each muffin cup) and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
While the dough rests, combine your brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Along with your cubed, room temperature butter.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Using your hands or a fork (I prefer to use my hands; it’s easier), combine everything well. This may take a few minutes.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
When the batter is ready, sprinkle the topping evenly over the muffins and press down slightly with your fingers.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
Sprinkle them with a little turbinado sugar, if you like, and place in a cold oven. Turn the oven on and set it to 350 degrees F. Leave the muffins to bake (beginning from the time you put them in the cold oven) for about 20 minutes or until the muffins are slightly golden and spring back when touched.

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
When they come out of the oven, allow to cool completely before drizzling with your simple icing (recipe follows).

Enjoy!

Serves: 12 muffins

• 1½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 4 teaspoon active dry or rapid rise yeast
  • ⅔ cup warm milk (100-110F; I used 1% milk)
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
Topping
  • 2 tablespoons cubed butter, room temperature
  • ⅔ cup brown sugar
  • ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon fresh or ground nutmeg
  • small pinch cloves (optional)
Icing
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1-2 tbsp milk or cream
  1. Grease and/or line a muffin tin. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Dissolve the yeast in a measuring cup filled with the warmed milk.
  2. Combine the milk mixture, vegetable oil, vanilla extract, and egg into the flour mixture. Mix everything well, until it's very smooth. Pour a bit less than ¼ cup of the batter into each muffin cup in your prepared pan and let rest for 15 minutes.
  3. While the batter rests, mix together the cubed, room temperature butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a small bowl using a fork or my preferred method, your hands, until all the butter has been incorporated into the sugar and mixture is crumbly.
  4. Sprinkle the topping evenly onto the rested batter and press the mixture down into the dough with your fingertips. Place pan into a cold oven, then set the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the cakes are lightly browned at the edges and the center springs back when lightly pressed. Some of the sugar mixture on top may still be bubbling.
  5. Cool for at least 30 minutes before whisking the powdered sugar and milk together to form an icing and drizzling it onto the bread. Serve warm if you can, but they're great at room temperature or cold, too. Leftovers can be reheated in the microwave as well.
Adapted From

1. Carly says:

These look amazing!

2. Rebecca says:

Oh my gosh…these look so good! Going to put this on my meal plan for next week. BTW, I love your site. You always have the most amazing recipes :-)

3. mini says:

o wow. this looks really delicious. I’m salivating!

4. Kevin says:

Cinnamon bun muffins sound so good!

5. […] Touch My Buns! As soon as I saw Cinnamon Bun Muffins on Crepes of Wrath, I knew I would be firing up the oven once again for these tasty treats.  There is no stopping […]

6. Those look too good. especially now that I am really hungry. Is there a low calorie version?

7. Donna says:

These look unbelievably delicious!! I have got to try them, I love muffins and am always looking for new ones!!

8. Memoria says:

I’m sooooo going to make these and mail them to my stepdaughters!! Thank you!

9. Dragon says:

These look seriously addictive!

10. yellow6347 says:

I read your blog every day and you never cease to amaze me with wonderful recipes. I bet your friends love it when you bring a dish to the office.

11. ingrid says:

Mmmm, those look amazing and I bet they are even better tasting than they look. The kids LOVE cinnamon rolls….thanks for passing along the recipe!
    Happy Easter, Sydney! Hope you and the guys have a good one!

12. Coleen says:

First time visiting your page…absolutely beautiful!! I will be trying these muffins for sure, they are right down (my husbands) ally.

13. Elyse says:

Mmm, these look delicious! I love that they have yeast in them. It was so funny–I was looking to make some cinnamon rolls for this morning, but I decided I didn’t want to take the time to do it. I wish I had looked at your post! I could’ve made these fabulous cinnamon bun muffins! I hate it when work piles up and I can’t check my google reader. Oh well, I’m saving this recipe for next weekend!

14. Paul says:

these look so good, I am going to make them tomorrow!

15. Lexie says:

Long time lurker – first time poster.
    I made these last night. While good I found a couple of things. I found the yeast smell and taste to be strong. Do you think I could reduce the yeast and still have a good result? I used fresh ground nutmeg and I didn’t use any where near 1/4 teaspoon and I found it a but much. Personal taste maybe. I will definitely try these again.
    Thanks for blogging your cooking adventures, I always love reading your posts.

16. sarah says:

My husband loves all things cinnamon buns… can’t wait to try these!

17. Just catching up on some blog reading and saw these. These look amazing….I bookmarked this…will definitely try! Thanks!

18. smilessss says:

That looks very delicious. I shall try making that one day.

19. Linda says:

I tried making these, but I think because I didn’t put it in a cold oven… well the brown sugar completely melted and made my oven start smoking! :( Will have to attempt this over again.

20. Jen T. says:

These were exactly what I needed after the last few weeks. You’re the best!

21. yo says:

Excellent. I gave one to a friend and she couldnt stop eating them. good job.!. with extra emphasis on the “!”

22. […] any health food awards, they are considerably less butter-laden than my go-to cinnamon rolls. These Cinnamon Bun Muffins from Crepes of Wrath are such a simple alternative to all of the rising and rolling and flour mayhem I usually have to […]

23. Bonnie says:

Excellent muffins……very easy to make with “great” taste! In my opinion the icing is optional, great without too……