Samoas Bars

Homemade Samoas. Yes, it’s true. And they’re delicious. They taste very close to if not exactly like the Girl Scout cookies! I was amazed and flabbergasted. I can’t believe that this amazing recipe even exists. They’re even better refrigerated, in my opinion. The cookie was crunchy, the caramel-coconut topping was chewy and sweet, and the chocolate drizzle pulled it all together! Step-by-step photos and recipe after the jump!

Ingredients!

Samoas Bars
Cream together the butter and sugar for the cookie base.

Samoas Bars
Beat in the egg and vanilla, then gradually beat in the flour and salt.

Samoas Bars
Using your hands, press the dough into a greased and/or lined 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before topping with everything else.

Samoas Bars
While you let the cookie base cool, turn the oven down to 300 degrees F and spread your coconut onto a baking sheet.

Samoas Bars
Toast for about 20 minutes, stirring about every 5-8 minutes to make sure it doesn’t burn.

Samoas Bars
Unwrap your caramels and combine them with the milk and salt.

Samoas Bars
Microwave for 3-4 minutes until melted, stirring every 30-45 seconds so it doesn’t burn.

Samoas Bars
Combine the toasted coconut with the melted caramel.

Samoas Bars
With a greased spatula, spread the coconut/caramel mixture over the cookie base.

Samoas Bars
When the caramel has cooled, cut the “cookies” into bars.

Samoas BarsSamoas Bars
Melt your chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30-45 seconds so it doesn’t burn. Dip the bottoms of the bars into the chocolate, then place on parchment paper or tinfoil.

Samoas Bars
Pour the rest of the melted chocolate into a Ziploc bag and cut a teeny, tiny corner off so you can drizzle the chocolate over all of the bars.

Samoas Bars
Put in the fridge for a bit so everything sets, and serve! Don’t let them get too cold, though, or they’ll get too hard and kind of stale.

Samoas BarsSamoas BarsSamoas Bars

Serves: 30 bar cookies

Cookie Base
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¾ cup butter, softened
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
Topping
  • 3 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened; I used sweetened)
  • 12-oz good-quality chewy caramels (I bought the Target brand...is that "good quality"? haha)
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons milk
  • 20 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate (I used chocolate chips...the original recipe called for 10 oz. of chocolate but I ended up needing double)
Cookie Base
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease and/or line a 9×13-inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the sugar and butter, until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in the flour and salt until the mixture is crumbly, like wet sand. The dough does not need to come together. Pour the crumbly dough into preared pan and press into an even layer, using your hands.
  3. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the base is set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack before topping.
Topping
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F while the cookie base cools. Spread the coconut evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, until the coconut is golden. Cool on baking sheet, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
  2. Unwrap the caramels and place in a large microwave-safe bowl with the milk and salt. Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, stopping to stir a few times to help the caramel melt. When smooth, fold in toasted coconut with a greased spatula.
  3. Put dollops of the topping all over the shortbread base. Using the greased spatula (this is important so everything spreads smoothly), spread the topping into an even layer. Let topping set until cooled.
  4. When cooled, cut into 30 or so bars with a large knife or a pizza cutter (I used a pizza cutter and it worked really well once I got the hang of it).
  5. Once the bars are cut, melt half of the chocolate in a small bowl. Heat on high in the microwave in 45 second intervals, stirring thoroughly to prevent scorching. Dip the base of each bar into the chocolate and place on a clean piece of parchment or wax paper. Melt more chocolate, little by little, if needed. Transfer all remaining chocolate (or melt more) into a piping bag or a Ziploc bag with a tiny corner snipped off and the drizzle bars with chocolate to finish.
  6. Let chocolate set completely before storing in an airtight container. I recommend keeping them in the fridge. Makes roughly 30 bar cookies.
  7. OP's Note: You can simply drizzle chocolate on top of the bars before slicing them up if you’re looking for yet an easier way to finish these off. You won’t need quite as much chocolate as noted above, and you won’t quite get the Samoas look, but the results will still be tasty.

1. Kate says:

A gorgeous dessert, as always!

2. those look very tasty… i might have to try those next week for my wife to take to the office

3. ingrid says:

I am probably the only person in America that doesn’t buy, eat, or even really like girl scout cookies. Wait my kids don’t either though that could be because I’ve never given them any. With all that said your photos are amazing and have me thinking I should give these a try. Just so we’re clear give your bars a try & NOT the girl scout cookies. :-)

4. Amy says:

This looks…ridiculous. In the best way possible. I’m the only one in my house that likes coconut (tragedy), so I guess I will just have to make them all for myself ;)

5. Sarah says:

Hello, decadent! These look a-mazing.

6. Nice idea, i read about making the cookie itself a couple weeks ago, but cutting all those little circles out seemed… time consuming and well a little silly. Now a bar, I like the way you think.

7. maggie (p&c) says:

Oh geez! These look incredible!

8. Coleen says:

I have to bring something to a birthday party tomorrow, and I think this is it!! Thanks for the post.

9. Ho-ly cow, those look amazing! And I think the only thing I’d have to buy for these would be the caramel. Totally going on my to-bake list!

10. Emily says:

These are my absolute favorite Girl Scout cookies and I did not get a single one this year so I am beyond excited to try these tonight!

11. Michelle says:

OH my Goodness, these look to die for! Can’t wait to give them a try!!

12. dawn says:

I adore that one shot with the bite taken out. Love these, love making them, but I eat so many of them (in one sitting mind you!)

13. LaRin says:

14. Pearl says:

you are going to give those girl scouts a run for their money (cookie, whatever)!

15. Meghan says:

These look amazing!!! Samoas are the best. Love your pictures!

16. lululu says:

yummmmmmmmmmmm……it looks sinfully delicious!!!!
    very smart and easy way to make caramelized coconut shreds

17. deborah P.S. says:

Oh my gosh! I was perusing Foodgawker and your photo jumped right off the screen. Wow, I’m for sure going to make these this weekend…and no sharing with my neighbors this time :) I fib. Who could help themselves from sharing? LOL!
    Step by step photos are just so enticing and helpful.

18. Nicole says:

Oh my goodness, these look insane.

19. Elyse says:

Mmm, your Samoa bars came out fabulously. I ADORE Samoas. They’re totally my favorite girl scout cookie, and I just love that you can make them at home. No need to fear: we can have Samoas all year round!

20. Kevin says:

These seem pretty popular and they look so decadently good. I need to try them.

21. mary says:

I made these and they are delicious. Thanks for the recipe. My only problem was that the caramel/coconut layer didn’t really stick to the shortbread layer. So several fell apart

22. jennyb says:

Are these things legal? Holy cow. Love the title of this section, btw. Mwah!

23. Dragon says:

You’re killing me with these. Yum!

24. Myesha says:

oh sweet jesus! i am so making those this week.

25. RecipeGirl says:

Oh wow! Those are completely and utterly EVIL!

26. Janaki says:

those look divine!

27. Clara says:

You are my new favorite person. I will be making these and your oreo bars!

28. [...] I made these Samoas Cookie Bars with the ‘help’ of V. They were so amazing! Please stop by The [...]

29. SJ says:

Samoa’s are my favorite girl scout cookie and I haven’t eaten them in forever. I used your recipe and made batch for some friends and not only did I love them, people who don’t even like the girl scout Samoa’s liked them- so they are better. I love your website keep doing what your doing… I love it!

30. duodishes says:

Um you can’t be serious! These look too good to be true. Mmmmm.

31. LaRin says:

made this, ate this, I have NO regrets

32. Jen says:

You’re the devil! These look delicious – I agree – the bar idea is fantastic. I’m making these tomorrow.

33. Wow says:

Wow, so disappointed! I made these and the dough did NOT turn out. It was too crumbly AFTER baking and fell apart when I tried to cut out the bars. You might want to check the amount of flour as mine never got “crumbly” it was creamy even after the flour was added. Maybe it is 3 cups flour, not 2?? They are good, but just fall apart – where you have to eat it from a bowl instead of a bar. Ugh!!! Never will make again unless the dough part is revised.

34. Dolly says:

Thanks for this page – I made these tonight! I didn’t dip the bottoms because I didn’t think my (relatively thin and crispy) shortbread base would stand up to it, but they turned out great with a good drizzle of chocolate on top. Very picturesque, too, which is pretty amazing, for me. Some tips for people thinking of making this:
    1) If you’re worried about the topping not sticking, you can do it a different way. I layered caramel and coconut (starting with the sticky caramel obviously) and it stuck very well.
    2) Watch the coconut carefully in the oven. I found I got the best browning during the last 5 minutes while I left the tray in a turned-off but still hot oven.
    3) Wait until the topping and shortbread are cool before cutting! That’s the only way they’ll stay together. If you cut too soon, everything will crumble. You can stick it in the freezer for 5 minutes if you’re really impatient. I am, and I did. The pizza-cutter trick is great, but make sure you wipe excess coconut off it occasionally, or it will drag extra topping around randomly.
    4) Use a heavy-duty plastic bag for the melted chocolate, or else be prepared for the thick consistency and high pressure and heat to pop the seam of your plastic bag and get all over your hands. Maybe my store-brand sandwich bags are just cheaply made, but I had to keep rebagging due to this problem (which I never have with cold stuff like frosting).
    5) Watch the caramel carefully while it’s heating in the microwave. I tried to anticipate how high it would boil up between stirrings by putting it in a tall bowl, but I still got caramel on my glass turn-table.
    This is a very fine recipe. Pay attention to each step and everything will turn out caramel deeeeelicious. The shortbread recipe is perfect – I pressed mine down with a fork to make it completely thin and even and baked it a full 25 minutes to get it as dried and crispy as possible, and it was a perfect base. Not too thick at all.

35. [...] the reputation for creating a homemade version of Girl Scout cookies. I’ve already made her Samoas Bars, so I decided it was time to try the thin mints. I cut mine much too thick, but they still tasted [...]

36. clb says:

I am not sure what happened to my batch, they looked great and tasted even better…the coconut caramel layer is out of this world!! But my crust was way too crumbly. Several of them broke and I waited until they were completely cooled before cutting. Good thing I dipped them in the chocolate so I could hide that, but my chocolate became rather gritty with all the crumbs in it! :) They still tasted wonderful and I was able to hide the broken bottoms on most, I even went back and double checked the recipe to see what I could have missed…but I was right on. Any ideas?

37. [...] the reputation for creating a homemade version of Girl Scout cookies. I’ve already made her Samoas Bars, so I decided it was time to try the thin mints. I cut mine much too thick, but they still tasted [...]

38. amy says:

i’ve had this page bookmarked for quite some time now, but just didn’t get around to trying out the recipe… until last night. they turned out PERFECT. the crust didn’t fall apart, as others might have complained about, and all the layers stuck together well. my plan was to send them in the mail to my bf, but now i don’t know if that will be happening as i might end up eating them all myself! thanks for the great recipe.
    (oh, the only difference i found while making the recipe was that when the dough was prepared it was soft, not crumbly.)

39. jack bauer says:

I love these bars. Todella hyviä ovat;)

40. Donalyn says:

These look great and will be giving them a try, for sure. Also wanted to thank you for Stumbling my Crash Hot Sweet Potatoes – I’ve had thousands of hits from that Stumble! Thanks!

41. леший says:

Люблю когда грамотно оформлено – ни одной ошибки.Приятно читать.Удачи в ваших начинаниях.
    если устали и хотите отдохнуть заходите к нам на сайт все для дом и семьи сайт нажми на имя леший и ты
    окажешся на хорошем семейном сайте.

42. Lai Yi says:

I’m drooling right now. Your pictures were fantastic as were your directions. I need to go make these to make my life complete. Thanks so much for putting this up!

43. Can I make my own Caramel sauce then looking for caramel bars?

44. How can you make an amazing thick golden brown caramel sauce?

45. I'm in shock says:

I LOVE these! Mine were a little crumbly the first time I made them but so delicious that NO ONE cared! Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes. I’ve made several and always love them!

46. [...] stuffed shrooms and samoa bars will have to wait patiently while I stand in front of the oven yelling [...]

47. [...] man came to fix the oven on Friday.  I made my samoa bars.  The world was set right. Caramel and salt to melt. There are few things more perfect than nutty, [...]

48. [...] I did happen to bake Samoas Bars, Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars, and S’mores Cookies. It’s never to late to make [...]

49. [...] It’s totally expected. Samoas will do that to you, even more so in bar form. I followed this recipe pretty much exactly. I suggest you do the same. Then feel free to give them away to a bunch of [...]

50. [...] got a recipe from Crepes of Rath (who got the recipe from Baking Bites) for Samoas bars.  The pictures on her blog of these [...]

51. Girl Scout Mom says:

I love this idea but it also makes me sad because this recipe now makes people able to make it year round and our Girl Scouts get no profit to go to exciting places or help the commuity or a lot of things, since over half of the people with the recipe will not get the cookies from a girl scout. Please keep in mind that the girls work hard and only have 2-3 fundraisers a year and the cookies are the major one that brings money into the troop.

That’s exactly it – I wish that they sold the cookies all year round! As they do not, though, this recipe is for those desperate times where no Girl Scout Cookies are to be found and you have to scrounge up some of your own ;)

52. Maureen says:

The Recipe Critic just shared this recipe on her page as well as on FB, but gave credit to Foodology who gave credit to you. LOL.

53. Wow says:

Happened to me too…except was whole batch.

54. thecrepesofwrath says:

Wow: They turned out great for me, as you can see. Maybe you should rethink what you did instead of being so rude! :)

55. thecrepesofwrath says:

clb: My chocolate definitely had crumbs and whatnot in it; they’re not super picture perfect on the bottoms. I felt like the chocolate hides that, though, and I suppose it just takes practice in dipping them and trying to pull them out smoothly as fast as you can.

56. sam says:

happened to me too. i just spread chocolate on the bottom with a spatula rather than dipping it since dipping it caused the shortbread to fall into the chocolate.

57. katayc says:

mine were a disaster as well. the shortbread crumbled and the caramel layer didn’t stick. i was so disappointed i didn’t even bother with the chocolate layer because i didn’t want to waste any more ingredients
    they did still taste pretty great though.

58. Jen says:

Don’t see where I was being rude? Just stating what happend – nearly everyone here states that it’s crumbly/falls apart.
    I only posted wondering if the flour ratio was off so that others might not have the same problem(s).
    Sorry if I offened you as that was not my intention. Maybe you should turn off the comment part if you can’t take anything other than dazzling reviews?

59. thecrepesofwrath says:

Jen: I don’t mind helpful or constructive criticism, and I just feel that you could have chosen different phrasing and/or wording if you didn’t want to come across as rude.

60. admin says:

Christa: You definitely can, but I haven’t done it before I don’t have any recipes that I can share with you that I know for certain are good! Browse tastespotting or foodgawker and let me know what you try!