When I looked in my fridge, I saw a big tub of yogurt and a bunch of grapefruits staring back at me. What to do, what to do? I searched around in my bookmarks and found this recipe for grapefruit yogurt cake. It looked promising, but I was going to be having people over, and cake can get complicated with plates, forks, and knives among a bunch of people. I decided to make the cake recipe into a cupcake recipe, and I was really pleased with the results! There was a definite grapefruit flavor, but the icing gave them a sweet touch. The cake itself was fluffy and moist; perfect! I would highly recommend these to anyone who loves grapefruit. And they’re just in time for summer! Recipe after the jump.
Combine your flour, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
Combine your sugar and grapefruit zest in a large bowl.
Use your hands to rub the sugar and zest together until the sugar is a pale orange/yellow color. This helps to incorporate all of the flavorful oils from the zest into the sugar and in turn, the cupcakes.
Add the eggs, vanilla, and yogurt to the sugar. Beat well.
Beat in the flour slowly, then fold in the vegetable oil.
Line and/or grease your muffin tins and fill each cup with 1/4 cup of the batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until the cakes spring back when touched and are lightly golden.
While the cupcakes bake, make your simply syrup (this looks like a lot of juice, but I doubled the recipe).
Pour the grapefruit juice and the sugar into a small pan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
The cakes look done to me.
While they’re still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in.
When the cupcakes have cooled completely, drizzle them with the icing mixture.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- zest of three smallish grapefruits
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ⅓ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from the grapefruits above)
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (from the grapefruits above)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and/or line a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. In a larger bowl, combine the sugar and grapefruit zest and rub together with your hands until the sugar is a pale yellow/orange color.
- Add the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla to the sugar mixture. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just incorporated. With a rubber spatula, fold the vegetable oil into the batter, making sure it is all incorporated.
- Pour ¼ cup of batter into each muffin cup and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cakes are a golden color and they spring back when touched.
- Make the simple syrup while the cakes bake. Pour the grapefruit juice and the sugar into a small pan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cakes are done, allow them to cool in the pan for a few minutes. While the cupcakes are still warm, pour the grapefruit-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely and remove from the pan.
- Make the glaze. Whisk the grapefruit juice and confectioner's sugar together until smooth. Drizzle over the cake and allow to harden for a little bit. Makes about 12 cupcakes.