I wanted to serve something interesting for dinner the other night, and then I found this more than interesting recipe. The chicken is coated in pecans, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The crunch combined with the spice was absolutely amazing. The salad, on the other hand, was out of this world. The dressing is made up of lemon juice, maple syrup, and peanut butter. If may sound like a strange combination, but combined with the crisp apples and cool cucumbers, it’s beyond delicious. I could have eaten the entire bowl of salad on my own, and it goes so well with the sweet and crunchy chicken. Recipe after the jump, as always!
Slice your chicken into strips and season with salt and pepper. You can probably leave the chicken breasts whole if you’d like (or just use chicken tenders), but I cut mine up for faster cooking time and presentation.
Chop up your pecans.
Whisk your egg quickly in a small bowl.
In a medium bowl, combine your pecans with breadcrumbs, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Dip the chicken in the egg, then in the pecan mixture. Place on a lined and/or greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and the outside is just crisping.
For the salad, slice your apples.
Combine your apples with sliced cucumber and grated carrot. I tossed mine with a few handfuls of lettuce. The more lettuce you use, the more salad you have.
Combine your dressing ingredients (I know this looks weird but it tastes delicious).
Pour the dressing over the salad until you think there’s enough (I used about 2/3 of the dressing).
Serve the chicken on top of the salad and enjoy!
- 7 chicken tenderloins or 2 medium chicken breasts, sliced
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ nutmeg
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 red apple, thinly sliced
- 1 green apple, thinly sliced
- 3-4 big handfuls lettuce
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 carrot, shredded
- raisins (optional - I didn't use raisins but I think they'd go really well in this salad)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F and line and/or grease a baking sheet.
- Season your chicken tenders with salt and pepper.
- If you don’t have bread crumbs, toast 3 pieces of bread and pulse in food processor.
- Combine the chopped pecans and breadcrumbs together with cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Crack the egg into a small bowl and whisk.
- Dredge the chicken tenders in the egg, then dredge in pecan mixture. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine the apples, lettuce, cucumber, carrot, and raisins (if you're using them) in a large bowl.
- Combine dressing ingredients in bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Toss the salad with dressing and serve the chicken over the salad.