The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I hope that all of my American readers had a safe and happy Fourth of July weekend! Kramer and I went to a friend’s house, did some grilling, swimming, etc. You know, the usual. What did everyone else do? We didn’t get to see any fireworks because Arizona is terrible and covered in trees throughout suburbia, but we heard some being fired off by drunken neighbors. That’s pretty much the same thing, right? I miss celebrating the Fourth when I lived in Chicago. My parents would drive us out in their old Ford Expedition or Explorer or whatever they had at the time and they’d open the back up and my brothers and I would sit in it and watch the fireworks.

These are my favorite chocolate chip cookies and I promise you that you’ll never find a better recipe. I know that a lot of people make this claim, but my friends and family love these cookies and they know how proud I am of these. The recipe is from Bucky’s Barbecue & Bread and I am eternally grateful for the recipe. The melted butter and extra egg yolk make these extra chewy, soft, rich, and everything a chocolate CHUNK cookie should be. That’s right; there are no chips here, it’s all about the chunks. The extra big bites of chocolate really go a long way and set these cookies apart from the rest. I’ve posted these before, but I decided it’s time for a repeat recipe in here for once, just in case anyone missed these heavenly creations the first time around. I made them while I was house-sitting at my parent’s house (while they were in Italy with my brothers!), so it was extra fun messing around with my mom’s kitchen gadgets and her oven, which has a convection setting! Give these cookies a go and try to prove me wrong; you just won’t be able to!

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Melt your butter in a microwave safe bowl or over the stove and set aside to cool for just a bit. Yes, I know that is a lot of butter! I doubled the recipe.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Beat in your eggs and egg yolks (or single egg and single egg yolk if you aren’t doubling the recipe like me).

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Then beat in the vanilla and the flour mixture a bit at a time until just moistened.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Gently fold in the chocolate chunks and drop balls of dough that are about 1/4 cup each (mine were probably a little bit less than 1/4 cup). Bake at 325 degrees F or 310 degrees F on convection for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. They should be just lightly golden and set.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

Allow to cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheets and then allow to finish cooling on another surface.

The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies

You won’t be disappointed with these!

[print_link]

from Bucky’s Barbecue & Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup white sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 egg

1 egg yolk

2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks (this is crucial – you can use chips if you can’t find chunks, but chunks are what make these cookies the best ever)

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (or 310 degrees F for convection). Grease and or line your cookie sheets.

2. Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together and set aside.

3. Mix the sugars and melted butter just until thoroughly mixed, then add egg, yolk and vanilla and mix until creamy. Add the sifted ingredients and mix until just blended – don’t over beat!

4. Stir in the chocolate chunks, then drop dough a bit less than 1/4 cup at a time on a cookie sheet, about 3 inches apart, and bake for 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.

5. Leave them on the cookie sheet to cool a bit when removed from the oven (this is important as they fall apart if you move them too quickly). Once they cool a few minutes, remove the cookies to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Makes 10-12 cookies, depending on their size.

1. Laura says:

A repeat of my all-time favorite!! I saw this recipe when I first discovered your blog and started reading from the beginning. This was one of the first recipes I tried and have made it many times since! I almost made these the other day but it’s been so hot here too that I didn’t want to turn the oven on. You’ve convinced me to make them again though. I’ve tried these with different mix-ins (Reese’s pieces, peanut butter chips, etc.) but I love them best with the chocolate chunks. Thanks for reposting. Seriously, best cookie I’ve ever made!!!

2. Jen T. says:

This is my go-to recipe, as well, although I’d never found where it was originally from, thanks! And I didn’t know you were from Chicago- I grew up in the suburbs. Don’t worry, you didn’t miss much this year, it rained a lot on the 4th and a lot of places ended up canceling or postponing their shows.

3. Carmen says:

Great blog! I will try these. I am still looking for THE best recipe. Thanks for the print feature. I’ll see if I can put it on my blog too.

4. Mom says:

What’s what happened to my chocolate chunks. Now I have to run to the store, I was making these today, how funny.

5. Katrina says:

Yum! I’ll have to try these. I love ccc’s and these look great!

6. Mom says:

Mine came out great. These are the Best CC cookies ever. I added a little coconut and walnuts, Daddy likes that!

7. Laura says:

Yum, made these last night! I noticed you put a little raw sugar on top so I did the same! They were incredible!

8. ingrid says:

Ha, that’s funny….I just read the comments betw/you and your mom. :)

I think I might have missed these. It’s funny that you are rewinding a recipe as I just saw your macadamia white chocolate blondie recipe on another blog and rememebered that I had given it a try yet.

I had a lovely 4th, thanks for asking! Glad to hear that you had a good one,too!

9. Jason says:

these look fantastic

10. g says:

These look awesome. Why did I have to look up the calories? :(

11. Steph says:

This is the recipe I use too! I think it’s the only recipe that is truly chewy.

12. rasha says:

I added toffee bits and honey roasted pecans to this recipe…A-MAZING!

thanks!

13. ooohh!!! wow!!! thanks for posting this!

14. lilyann says:

i used this awesome recipe for a bake sale to raise funds for a teenage home, and so many people were pestering me for the recipe after they tried the cookies! haha if your blog stats increase tremendously in the next month or so, you know why!! ๐Ÿ˜€

15. amy says:

craving some of these now:P

16. Christine says:

WOW thank you!! These are stupendous, and definitely my new favorite!
    I love your blog and am especially impressed that it is done by a young person in school. I’m 22 and love to cook and bake, and I am glad there are others out there who share the passion!

17. Amanda B. says:

Made these tonight, an excellent recipe! I will definitely keep this one for future use! Thanks!

18. pam says:

Hi!
    i’ve made these before with great success – thank you…
    but that was a year ago.. and i cant remember how long to cream the butter and sugar together for… should it look light and fluffy, or just until its mixed?
    thanks!

19. kwanster says:

im a big fan of mrs.field cookies, are these cookies texture like that??? soft and chewy??? i think im gonna give this a try this weekend!!oh, how many cookies would i make from ur receipe?
    one more question: the comment from Pam, do i need to cream the butter and sugar in this recipe? arent we using melted butter?
    sorry for so many questions! im just super keen to try this out!
    thanks! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kwanster: They are very soft and chewy, indeed! I always cream the butter and sugar, even if it’s melted. You want the mixture to be like wet sand before you add anything else in. It’ll make about 15-20 cookies. I hope you like them!

20. […] (Recipe from Crepes of Wrath) […]

21. michele says:

These look great – looking for a new cookie recipe and this may be it!
    question, though – i only have milk chocolate chunks, so do you think i should reduce the sugar in the cookies or something?

22. […] The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies Best cookies, hands down. I’ve made these probably a dozen times and every time I do, they turn out perfect. I don’t know if the secret really is the chunks, or the amount of brown sugar used but whatever it is, copy it exactly. […]

23. Addycat says:

Hi Sydney,
    I JUST made these and they turned out PERFECT. FINALLY I have a chocolate cookie recipe that is worth the bother of making. Nothing’s worse than making a cookie from scratch only to have it turn out totally not how you want.

I used Trader Joe’s “Pound Plus” bittersweet/ 72% chocolate for my chunks because I took your word for not using chips. It was definitely labor intensive to chop the big bar (3/4 of it) into chunks, and some of them were probably a bit too big (I know, blaspheme – but…) but the chunks really make those cookies.

Oh, we also made a tray of rounded Tbs size mounds (essentially 1/2 size) and they both turned out just as well at the 1/4c mounds. The smaller ones are, well, smaller (the boyfriend loves sweets but not too much at a time) but just as chewy and wonderful.

THANK YOU!!! We love them. These might even end up in my holiday sweets boxes (if I actually make them…)

Addycat: I’m glad that you loved them as much as I do. I really think it’s the best cookie recipe known to man, and it’s definitely due to using chunks and not chips! The teeny ones sound delish, too! Thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you continue to do so!

24. Bow says:

Hi Sydney,
    I just made these and they were yumm! However, my cookies came out quite flat. Do you have any tips on how to make them a bit thicker like urs?
    Thanks!

25. Faye says:

I’ve had inconsistent results with this recipe. Sometimes they come out really flat and other times they come out thick but get hard the second day. Do you know what the problem is or where I’m going wrong? This is my favorite CCC recipe so I would really love to perfect it and get consistently good results. Thanks!

Faye: Sometimes when the butter is still too hot when I mix it with the sugars, my cookies come out a bit flatter. You can throw the butter in the fridge for a few minutes to cool it down, and see if that helps. Also, baking soda loses its “umph” after 3-4 months, so sometimes that messes with my cookies, too (I only learned this fact a while ago). If you feel like your dough is too soft, definitely just chill it in the fridge for a bit, and that should help. As far as being hard the next day, store them in an airtight container and throw a slice of bread in there – the cookies will absorb all of the moisture from the bread, keeping them nice and soft!

26. Faye says:

Thanks so much for the reply. My 13 yr old son introduced me to your site and it’s by far my fave!

27. Curt says:

It’s good to see you like these… I changed Bucky’s Barbecue & Bread to Livefire, but the recipe is still there. I’ve gotten lots of emails about these, & a couple pastry chefs use my newer version of the recipe. I changed a few things…

I now use 1.5 cups of Turbinado sugar instead of a mix of white & brown.
    I use a couple dashes of cinnamon.
    I use vanilla paste instead of liquid.
    I use French style butter.
    And, sometimes, I add a couple handfuls of crispy bacon pieces… This was on a dare, but turned out great!

28. Amy says:

I first stumbled upon the “The Infamous Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies” and now I’m wondering if this is even better than those cookies? So I’m asking, would you rather make “The Best Ever Chocolate Chunk Cookies” or “The Infamous Jacques Torres Chocolate Chip Cookies” ? This question may be a bit rude so I don’t expect an answer. I was just wondering. ๐Ÿ˜€

@Amy: It’s not rude at all – it just depends on what kind of cookie you are looking for. If you want a very soft, chewy cookie, go with the Jacques Torres. If you want a chewy cookie with crispy edges, go for the Best Ever ones. I hope that this helps!

29. […] Sydney Now, I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I swear by. I love it, I think it is incredible, and I havenโ€™t changed my mind about […]

30. Christine says:

Have you ever doubled this recipe?

31. Christine says:

Thanks!

32. […] I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I swear by. I love it, I think it is incredible, and I havenโ€™t changed my mind about […]

33. Merideth says:

These are incredible. If heaven has a taste, I think it will resemble this. I eat about four cookies worth of dough before they are done baking. I owe you my life.

34. Chantel says:

I love this cookie recipe! It is going to be my go-to cookie recipe, tasted very similar to Mrs. Fields cookies, but better. Although I will admit, my roommate and I added bacon to some and loved it that was as well!

35. […] I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that I swear by. I love it, I think it is incredible, and I haven’t changed my mind […]

36. […] kinds of cream cheese, cheeses, crackers, cold cuts, chips, and cupcakes! All I did was bring chocolate chip cookies – I felt like such a failure! Next time I’ll have to do much better! Anyway, the day […]

37. […] and forget about all of the things you need to do? For me, it’s a chocolate chip cookie. This particular chocolate chip cookie, in fact. It’s never failed me. It has a soft, chewy interior, surrounded by just ever-so-slightly […]

38. Corry Shaw says:

One of the best things I’ve ever baked. I used 200g plain choc and 50g milk choc and sprinkled the tops with Maldon salt. They are evil and amazing in equal measure.

39. addycat says:

Looks like the print link isn’t working anymore – sad face. I lost my printed version and came here to re-print.

40. […] They had their basic chocolate chip cookie recipe in there, so how could I not give it a try? My favorite chocolate chip cookies are still the ones that I’ve been making for years, but these are, […]