Crispy Smashed Potatoes

Mid-terms are upon us! Can you feel it in the air? I sure as hell can! I’m trying to remain calm, though, and think about how I’ve only got NINE weeks of school left until I’ve got that coveted bachelor’s degree. That’s it! Just nine weeks! I can hardly believe it, and when I think about it, it’s not that bad after all. I’ve just got to keep pushing.

This is my first attempt at what I’m sure will be a regular side-dish in my house as soon as I perfect it. I’ve seen recipes for “crash hot” potatoes everywhere in the blogosphere, but I never thought to make them myself. I finally got some red potatoes from the grocery store and decided that it was time to give them a go. I only had one problem, though: I didn’t have a potato masher! This tool is apparently essential to perfect smashing the potatoes down in the flat-but-not-too-flat shape that you want. I smashed mine with a fork, and while it worked, the potatoes weren’t quite smashed enough and some of them fell apart because of the awkwardness of the fork. Next time I may use a mallet and attempt to apply just the right amount of force; I’ll let you know how it goes! Either way, these potatoes were absolutely delicious and a great way to change up the way you make potatoes. The inside is soft and buttery, while the outside is crisp and slightly crunchy. You can top them with cheese, sour cream, bacon…the possibilities are endless! Kramer fell in love at the first site of these, and I know you will too.

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Your ingredients. Sorry for the blurry picture! I must have been really excited to make these potatoes.

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Put your potatoes in a pot and fill with enough water to cover. Pour in about a few teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Let boil for about 20 minutes, until fork tender (not too tender, though).

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Remove the potatoes from the water when they’re ready and place on a greased and/or lined baking sheet. Smash carefully with the back of a fork, a mallet, or, if you’re so lucky to have one, a potato masher. You just want to smash them halfway, so they’re “smooshed” looking. Brush lightly with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme. Bake at 450 degrees F for about 15 minutes, until golden and crispy.

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Top with cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon…whatever you like!

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Enjoy!

Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Serves: 3

• 6 medium red potatoes
  • 6 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3 teaspoons kosher salt + another 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 6 pinches ground black pepper
  • 6 pinches dried thyme
  • 6 pinches dried rosemary
  • cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon, etc. (for topping)
  1. Scrub your potatoes well. Place them in a pot and pour in enough water to cover. Sprinkle in 3 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil. Let boil for 15-20 minutes, until fork tender.
  2. Remove your potatoes from the water and preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a lined and/or greased baking sheet, and with the back of a fork, a mallet, or a potato masher, gently press down on the potatoes to "smoosh" them just a bit, then turn the potatoes about 90 degrees and do it again. Be careful not to cut the potatoes in half, especially if you're using a fork.
  3. Brush each potato with a teaspoon of olive oil, then sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, a pinch of black pepper, a pinch of thyme, and a pinch of rosemary. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until golden and crispy. Top with whatever you like and enjoy!

1. icee says:

wow. just wow. I’m on these!!

Also- hi :) I can’t remember how I initially ran across your blog but I love it!

2. Celeste says:

Yum! I have some small golden potatoes laying around, and this is the perfect solution!

3. Holly says:

When I make them I just use the bottom of a coffee mug to smash ’em. Works perfectly.

4. Christina says:

Oh man, these look bomb delicious! I’d love to cozy up with a few of these. I’m going through midterms right now too. Sigh, late night cravings and studying is an inevitable combination.

5. Krystle says:

Yum! I have been wanting to try something like this for a why. I love crispy potatoes! Cant wait! Looks delish

6. Laura L. says:

Mmm…potatoes!!! I will probably try these. Love potatoes in any way, shape, or form. Last night I FINALLY made your Orange and Thyme Chicken with Crispy Parmesan Potatoes. All I can say is, I wish I hadn’t waited so long because it was soooooooooooooo good. That sauce…yum! Thanks for posting that, and this!!!

7. Marquesa Jen says:

Looks delicious!

Oh and midterms…I have four of them today, which bites cause it’s my birthday, but my birthday luck will surely get me through them. Congratulations on graduating soon! I’ve got another term.

+Jen

8. nina says:

They can bring on the lobster Thermistor, the longuistines, the fillet of beef….for me the humble old spud is still the best. You have created a masterpiece in MY opinion!!!

9. Jean P. says:

Use the heel of your hand. It works exceedingly well. I first read about crash hot potatoes in a Brit cookbook (“Simple Food,” (c) 2002) and have consistently used to recipe to dispose of boiled new potatoes. Love, love, love these…unembelished except for the oil and herbs used in the baking.

10. Katie says:

What a fantastic idea! I can’t wait to try these out with dinner!

11. Rachael says:

I made these tonight – utterly delicious! Thanks again 😀

12. Alyse says:

These look delicious. I love your blog, and check it all the time for something new to try out for dinner. Thanks!

13. ingrid says:

I make this often (we call smashed potatoes)and the kiddos (& their friends!) go crazy for them. You’re right you can top them with anything. I’ve done sauteed onions and peppers, a nachos version with some ground beef and jalopenos, and of course the loaded version with bacon and cheddar cheese. I have used a potatoe masher, a meat mallet, and the bottom of a wide heavy bottom glass which I light greased. I thought the glass worked best. It wasn’t too heavy and I could see exactly how much I was smashing!

Your photos do any excellent job showing just how yummy these are!

14. Sara E says:

ok… these will be a definite must make soon :)

15. Laura L. says:

Do you think these would work with regular russet potatoes cut in half? I have some to use up.

16. jstema says:

My advice for even more flavor is to brush the tops with bacon grease and then add desired herbs. I’ve made something similar to this before except I smashed them to the point of flattening them (while still keeping their shape), then crisped them up in a frying pan using bacon grease. YUM.

17. pitateye says:

I’ve seen this elsewhere. One person suggested placing the cooked ‘taters on a baking sheet, covering it with a second baking sheet and smooshing them all at once. i haven’t tried it yet but is makes sense.
    P

18. […] with steamed green beans that were finished by lightly sauteeing with garlic in olive oil and crispy smashed potatoes. I didn’t eat very much of the croque because it’s not too WW-friendly, but the sliver […]

19. […] was a little overzealous on this dinner plan! My “sides” for the shrimp were a New York strip, Crispy Smashed Potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts. As a result, I ended up slightly overcooking the shrimp, BUT the meal […]

20. Making these tonight! Wish me luck!! :))

21. admin says:

Jen: Happy Birthday and good luck!