Kramer and I have been working out way through Deadwood, and I love it! I can’t believe it took us this long to get to it. We finished The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm this summer, and when we were trying to figure out what show to dedicate ourselves to next, we remembered we had all three seasons of Deadwood. It’s got a great cast and I love all of the sets and costumes, but I suppose that’s because I’m a sucker for the “wild west”. I highly recommend the show, especially if you’re a fan of period pieces.
This recipe from Closet Cooking for honey lemon chicken was fantastic! His blog is awesome, so definitely check it out if you haven’t already. Anyway, the chicken was light and sweet and the lemon wasn’t overpowering at all. I paired it with a fresh salad of pears, apples, walnuts, raisins, and bacon with a simple balsamic dressing. This was a great dinner for a cool Arizona night of 75 degrees (ahh autumn). The salad and the chicken together took about 30 minutes at the absolute maximum, so there’s no reason not to put this on your menu for a quick and wholesome weeknight meal.
The ingredients for the salad.
Slice your pears as thinly as possible.
Do the same with the apples.
Place the fruit in a large bowl.
Add in the walnuts and raisins.
I decided to chop up and cook some bacon to go in the salad, too. Everything’s better with bacon, right?
Toss the salad with the fruit, walnuts, raisins, and bacon.
Combine the juice of 1 lemon and 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and whisk quickly with a fork. Set aside until you’re ready to eat.
Now, gather your ingredients for the honey lemon chicken.
Cut your chicken up into bite sized pieces.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, season the chicken with salt and pepper, and cook until almost cooked through.
Zest your lemon.
Whisk together the lemon zest with the lemon juice, honey, ginger, and chicken broth.
Pour the lemon mixture over the chicken and cook until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper as necessary.
Dress the salad, serve with the chicken, and enjoy!
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- few pinches salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or peanut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pear
- 1 red apple
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup jumbo raisins
- 5 slices bacon, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3-4 big handfuls of mixed greens
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the chicken. Saute until almost completely cooked.
- Combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, ground ginger, and chicken broth in a small bowl, then pour over the chicken. Allow to cook until slightly thickened, then season with salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- Slice your pear and apple as thinly as possible. Toss with the walnuts and raisins.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, then set aside to cool.
- When the bacon is cool, toss with the fruit, walnuts, raisins, and mixed greens.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar. Pour over the salad and toss (you probably won't use all of the dressing, so only pour as much as you like over the salad - you can always add more).