Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef

I present to you all a Christmas roast. It’s the perfect holiday meal. This roast beef is rich and flavorful, while still very buttery and tender without actually using any butter! Believe it, friends, for I speak the truth. This roast beef is perfection. I had never made a roast beef before, so I was extremely happy with this meal. The outside was crusty, lightly spicy, and expertly seasoned. You don’t need a lot of fancy ingredients for this roast beef; you probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry. I served this with mashed potatoes and Kramer and I were in heaven. The best part about this roast beef are the sandwiches you can make with it the next day. There’s nothing better! If you’re making Christmas dinner on Friday and still unsure as to what to make, this is the recipe, I promise!

Happy Holidays!

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Look at how simple those ingredients are! The night before you plan to cook this, rub the roast with salt, wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Cover a baking sheet with foil, then place a cooling rack over top. Spray with Pam and set aside.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Make the garlic into a paste. Mince as finely as you can, then press down on the garlic with the side of your knife.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Continue to press down on the garlic with the side of your knife until it starts to form a paste. Be careful not to let the knife slip!

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
I know this is a terrible picture, but it should be as smooth as possible.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Mix the garlic together with the pepper, oregano, basil, and crushed red pepper flakes.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Rub the roast with olive oil then rub with the herb and garlic mixture.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Heat the remaining oil in a medium pan and add the roast, browning on each side for 3-4 minutes.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Place the roast on the rack on the baking sheet and roast at 250 degrees F for an hour and 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow the roast to continue cooking in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the roast is 130 degrees F for medium-rare or 140 degrees F for medium. Don’t let it cook more than that or it’ll be dry!

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Allow to rest for 5-8 minutes before slicing.

Unbelievably Easy Roast Beef
Slice thinly and enjoy with some vegetables, potatoes, or crusty bread. Makes a great sandwich the next day, too!

5.0 from 5 reviews
Serves: 6

• 1 2.5 lb boneless eye-round roast, tied
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1½ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes (this is a good amount and makes a decently hot roast, so cut it back to 1 teaspoon if you're sensitive to heat)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced to a paste (see the photos above for an explanation)
  1. The day before you plan to cook the roast, sprinkle the salt evenly over the meat, rolling it on your board to pick up excess salt that has failed to stick. Wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight, or at least for a few hours the day of.
  2. Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and use paper towels to dry excess moisture from the meat. Rub the roast all over with the teaspoon of oil before evenly sprinkling on the oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pepper and garlic.
  3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until it just begins to simmer and slightly smoke. Add the roast and sear until richly browned on all sides (including the sides and the ends), 3 to 4 minutes per side.
  4. Transfer the roast to a wire rack set inside a rimmed baking sheet and sprayed with Pam. Roast the meat for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the meat reaches 115 degrees F on a meat thermometer. Turn the oven off, leaving the roast in the oven for another 30-40 minutes, or until the roast reaches an internal temperature of 130 degrees F for medium-rare or 140 degrees F for medium. Do not cook the roast past medium or the meat will be too dry!
  5. Remove the roast from the oven to a carving board and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes. Slice the meat as thinly as possible and serve with potatoes, vegetables, and/or crusty bread.
Adapted From

1. I am SO making this. lol!

2. I did a roast beef last week but it di not turn out at all. Much too dry and far away form medium rear. I certainly will try your recipe. Looks great and seem simple. I guess the trick is the temperature of the oven as well as the time span the meat takes to cook.
    Cheers
    Tobias

3. anthony says:

this looks absolutely amazing! the sliced beef looks unbelievably juicy and delicious. i will be making this next week and am praying it turns out as nicely. great job!

4. Mike says:

Looks delicious. So glad it turned out well! Happy Holidays!

5. Meatatarian ™ says:

Wow! Nicely done. I think our Christmas dinner menu just got changed. Beautiful pics, BTW.

6. Ann says:

Wow, perfectly cooked. Just the way I love it.

7. alienman says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Boyfriend and I are doing this :)

8. Cookie says:

This looks fantastic! I love how pink the middle is.

9. ~m says:

hey, sydney! this looks amazing! i’m trying it out on a much smaller roast for christmas day! any tips for temperature/time changes? our chunk of meat is about 2 lbs.

10. Mandi says:

This looks amazing, and I can’t wait to try it!

11. LMB says:

gorgeous! I love your site. One question, please forgive my ignorance. did you use an eye of round roast or a ribeye roast? yours is wonderful and has great marbling…more than I usually get when I use an eye of round. can’t wait to try this!!

12. Delphine says:

Thank you very much for this excellent recipe! We made it Christmas Eve with slight variations, and it was wolfed down by our dinner guests in a flash!

13. Chef Tony says:

Most beef needs about 18-20 minutes per pound to med rare. This chart will help I think. http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t–906/beef-cooking-times.asp

14. Diana says:

Winter Holidays as beautiful and quiet, which will fill the soul with joy, confidence, hope and love!

15. Eric says:

Great recipe, I’m so hungry now! A little tip for making the garlic into a paste: add a little salt (rock salt works best because of the large grains) to the garlic once it’s chopped. Then use the knife to make the paste. The grain of the salt helps mash the garlic:)

Keep up the good work:)

16. Laura Wolf says:

This was awesome – so delish!! Holiday shmoliday… it’s great for any day. :)

17. superbang says:

i just made this about 20mins ago and by the hammer of thor this is one tasty roast. wonderful recipe and wonderful site! thanks for the great meal!

18. [...] then I went and ate lamb on Friday, pork on Saturday, and chicken and this unbelievable roast beef on Sunday.  “It’s winter and a time of cold,” Manfriend [...]

19. [...] I went and ate lamb on Friday, pork on Saturday, and chicken and this unbelievable roast beef on Sunday.  “It’s winter and a time of cold,” Manfriend [...]

20. [...] beef, not much more to say than that. I think pictures will do the best! Recipe/Instructions from The Crepes of Wrath Coated with the herbs, beginning the pan browning. After browning, about to go into the oven. After [...]

21. Sherrie says:

Hi,

I just want to let you know that I used this recipe for Easter dinner and it was seriously amazing. Thank you so much for helping me successfully pull off my first Easter dinner!

22. Lou Lou says:

I guess it’s just me, but that meat looks raw. I think it looks awful. I like my meats well done. Looks like the outside it burnt, and the inside is completely raw. No thanks….sorry.

Lou Lou: I’m sorry that you felt the need to tell me that my food looks awful and I’m also sorry that you have never experienced a properly cooked piece of meat.

• Doug's Kitchen says:

Too bad regarding the opinions. A great roast of beef is NEVER over cooked. I am planning to try this recipe tonight. I have cooked roast beef for my family for decades but always like finding a new way to go.

23. David says:

looks to be perfectly cooked. Excellent pictures and will be making this soon. It has always been a pet peeve of mine when people think that well done meat is the way it should be.

David: Thank you very much and I agree! I don’t think that it tastes as it should when it is cooked well done. I was out at dinner this past weekend and a man next to me ordered his sirloin burger “extra well-done”. That poor burger! :)

24. Micha Cabeza says:

Google TV looks extremely astounding. I’m not sure if I want to invest in a tv with it integrated or a independent box.

25. Michelle T. says:

Found your site on TasteSpotting…the first thing I do when I am looking for a recipe is search there and pick one based on the picture. Yours was the ONLY one I needed to look at – one look at that picture and I had to have it! It looks SO good – I plan on making it this weekend!

Although this was posted a year ago, I love reading all of the comments too. Came across this and thought Lou Lou might like it! http://www.flickr.com/photos/origami_potato/2743201080/

Thanks for the recipe – now to look at the REST of your blog! :) :)

26. Jamie says:

Sydney,

I fell IN LOVE with this delicious looking piece of meat last night, and I just bought all the supplies this morning. I’m planning to surprise my fiance with it tonight for dinner!

27. Lara says:

I love the tact Sydney used on here. It has been my experience if one has to be critical without being nice, then it is unwelcome. I like medium slightly rare also but some dont. If we all were the same, it would be a pretty boring world! Kudos and Bon Appetit!

28. [...] Recipe adapted from Crepes of Wrath [...]

29. Katie says:

I don’t have much experience cooking roasts, and was doubtful I’d be able to cook one as tender as the roast in this recipe…but WOW. I made it for my boyfriend and he absolutely loved it. So tender and easy to make!!! I am going to share this recipe with everyone. Try this recipe ASAP!

30. Christina says:

Do you recommend changing anything for a 3.5-4lb roast?

31. mary says:

If wanting to go medium vs. med rare, would you recommend higher temp and same amount of time? Or same temp and just longer cooking? Still wanting it pink, just slightly less.

32. Timothy says:

I just found this on tastespotting. The pic made my mouth water! Im making it this weekend! Love the pic and the recipe!!

33. Nelly says:

I made a roast last week for an early Christmas dinner and I wish I had seen this sooner! It looks amazing and a lot easier than what I went through!

34. [...] grateful for the extra warmth! This is where this One Pot Roast Beef comes in. I’ve made a roast beef before, but this one is special because you can just throw everything in a pot and let it go [...]

35. DanielleP says:

Hi,

Did any of you have problems with the dry rub sticking while searing the outside? What suggestions do you have to help with this? It’s in the oven now, crossing my fingers it still turns out great :)

Some of the rub will definitely stick while searing, but it’s okay! The flavor is still there. I hope that it turned out well for you.

• DanielleP says:

I oversalted and a lot of the crust fell off but the cooking time on the roast was PERFECT! You’re right, the flavor was there! I didn’t use your exact measurements – just ballparked, I’ll use way less salt and way more herbs next time! My crust was not as pretty though – maybe I need to let it sit while searing for a bit longer?

36. Nichole Y says:

I made this without any expectations and boy was my family impressed!! BOTH of my girls have requested this for their next ‘birthday dinner!’ My 8 year old requested the left overs as a sandwich for school lunch! The husband is beyond impressed! Have to say it is sooooo easy and sooooo delish! THANK YOU for posting this!! We’re having it again on Sunday to start the football season off right!! GO STEELERS!! ;)

37. Masara says:

I found this on pinterest a few months ago and it is amazing. I have already made it twice and am making it again tonight for dinner. This is one of my husband’s favorite things that I make!

38. Ashley says:

Hi. I found this on pinterest and it looks amazing! I’d like it make it this Sunday, but I have an question: Is it an eye of round roast or something different? I saw someone else had asked this, but I did not see the response. Thank you, I can’t wait to try this!

39. Misti I says:

I found this on pinterest 2 days ago and it is amazing. I made this tonight for dinner and it came out perfect. I used the eye round. My whole family loved it. I am so making this again!

40. cheryl e says:

Made this 10/28/2012.. while waiting on hurricane/storm sandy in eastern virginia.. It was awesome, awesome.. going to be a keeper receipe..(did drop back on the red pepper to the lesser) This is special occasion food. Along side, I made creamed potatoes,gravy butterbeans, and hot rolls.

41. Sandra says:

I made this last night following the recipe exactly and it was wonderful! So flavorful and juicy…thank you for this! Will be a regular in our house :)

42. Jamie Lee says:

I tried this today and it was DELICIOUS!! It was even my first time making a roast!!!

43. […] you want an authentic Maryland how long to cook roast beef rib cake you will then be able to keep it going and hopefully pull out more money. No matter […]

44. I’m making this tonight!!!

45. Sue Luzenski says:

I’m sharing this recipe with a friend and I’ve been making this roast for a couple of years and it turns out perfectly every single time and my family loves it!!!

46. Oh my gosh this was DELICIOUS! This was my first roast ever and I don’t know if I will ever do it differently. Did a 3.72lb roast for 2 hours at 275 like I read in earlier comments and it was so good. My dad is basically the cook of the family and he was bragging about it. Oh and I served it with panfried carrots with shallots and fresh lime thyme. Thank you for this recipe!!

47. daniela says:

It came out perfect, thank you!