Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork

Kramer and I move to New York today! I can’t believe this day is actually here. Goodbye, Arizona! We’ll definitely miss our families and friends more than I can say, but it’s time for us to move on and start a new chapter in our lives as a married couple. Not only are we moving, but LOST starts tomorrow, too! Good things come in threes, so I wonder what other fantastic thing will happen to us soon!

And now, I bring you another crock pot recipe. This one’s for you, Clarisa and Brian! This is a great alternative to traditional pulled pork. The pork cooks perfectly and the apples and onions caramelize in the crock pot. The pork turns out lightly sweet and works well on a big salad or on a bun. I love the flavor that Granny Smith apples bring to pork, and since it’s in a crock pot, it couldn’t be easier.

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
The ingredients. I think I only ended up using 3 apples because it was all that would fit in my crock pot.

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
Rub your pork with salt and pepper, then add it to your crock pot. Add the apples, onions, wine, brown sugar, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and cornstarch. Turn your crock pot on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
When the pork is ready, remove it from the crock pot and shred with two forks.

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
Drain the juices from the crock pot and place in a bowl. Add to the shredded pork as needed.

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled PorkCrock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
Serve over a salad or on a bun and enjoy!

Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork
Author:

• 2 pounds pork butt or shoulder (bone in or boneless, it doesn't matter which)
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 Granny Smith apples, washed and sliced thinly (I didn't peel mine because you can't really tell if the skins are there after everything has cooked...plus I'm lazy)
  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • ¼ cup cider vinegar
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 3 tablespoons dark or light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  1. Rub the pork with salt and pepper. Add the pork to the crock pot, then add in the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 8 hours.
  2. When the pork is ready, remove it from the crock pot and set on a cutting board. Drain the juices from the crock pot and set them aside to use as needed. Shred the pork with two forks and return to the crock pot. Add in a little juice, then as much as you feel you need. Serve over a salad or on a bun.

1. Kari says:

Good luck in the move, Sydney! Where in New York?

2. Cathy K says:

Congratulations on your marriage and your big move to New York. How very exciting. I’ve been following your website for the last few years and my family has enjoyed many of your recipes. I don’t know if you’re originally from Arizona, but I imagine that living in the New York area you’ll be introduced to many new and exciting recipes. Good luck and I can’t wait to read more. ~Cathy

3. MacKenzie says:

Sounds delish! Just curious–what is the cornstarch for?

4. Jen T. says:

That sounds great! Good luck in New York, and on the move. Try not to go into shock from the temperature difference when you get there!

5. Sara E says:

oh my gosh.. you crazy woman! I can’t believe you already blogged today with just moving today

this looks yummy..but I’m curious just like MacKenzie.. cornstarch?

6. Holly F. says:

That looks delish, I feel like I can smell it coming out of my computer. Good luck with the move!

7. Nancy M. says:

I just made pulled pork in a slow cooker the other day! I wish I had seen this recipe–the apples sound like a delicious addition.

Good luck in New York!

8. megan says:

you omitted the apple cider vinegar from your list… just curious, how much of it do you use?

9. Maureen says:

I’m so glad I decided to visit this site today! I’ve been trying to come up with something new for my crock pot and this looks amazing! Thanks!

10. Liz says:

Making this today but need to know how much cider vinegar? I don’t see it on the ingredients list but it is in the pic … thanks so much!!!

11. Liz says:

It was so delicious. A really nice change from BBQ pulled pork. Thanks for the recipe!

12. [...] Pan Sauce Dressing from Closet Cooking, Madeira Chicken with Mushrooms from Confessions of a Tart, Crock Pot Granny Smith Pulled Pork from The Crepes of Wrath, Tuscan Blueberry Port Chicken Breast from Cucina Panzano, Twisty Twirly [...]

13. Benita says:

Sydney,

This recipe was such a hit at our annual 4th of July BBQ at the neighbors–and it was so very easy, too. The pork has such a bright flavor, and I know the leftovers will be gone tomorrow here at home. Thanks for the great recipe and blog–both are terrific!

14. April says:

I have four kids under the age of four and my youngest are 8 month old twins and needless to say cooking can be stressful! We all have been sick off and on for three to four weeks :( and cooking has not been high on my to do list. I am also still unsure of my cooking abilities when cooking something new. Let me tell you that this was very easy to make and the prep time was fast(very important 2 me)! My family loved it and I enjoyed making it!

April: I’m happy to hear that! I hope that you all get well soon! I know it’s so nice to have a crock pot in busy times (and you seem to be busy non-stop)!

15. Jonathan says:

Woooooah

This was awesome. So much better than pulled pork covered in ketchup.

16. Lauren says:

I keep seeing apple cider vinegar in crock pot and pork recipes… Does anyone know why? Can you omit ever or does it help break down meat better?

Also, it may sound weird but I added nectarines and this recipe was amazing!!!