Supernatural Brownie Bites

This is a fantastic brownie recipe. I usually only make brownies with cocoa powder instead of actual chocolate because I hate melting chocolate; it’s just one extra step that I prefer to omit from my brownie baking regimen. However, seeing as how I wanted to use my new mini-muffin tins, I figured I would try out a new recipe as well. I made a great decision! These brownies are chewy, chocolatey, and the tops crackle when you bite into them. They’re perfect for a party or if you simply want a mess-free, hassle-free dessert. If you’re looking for something that you can make and easily control how much you eat, these are great as well. I think they’d be even better if you added some mini chocolate chips! I’ll have to try that next time. These honestly melt in your mouth, and who would expect less, as the recipe is from Nick Malgieri’s book Chocolate, which was named the best chocolate book in the world the year it was published. Malgieri was also named one of the ten best pastry chefs in America, as well has having been nominated for multiple James Beard Awards. In short, the man knows a thing or two about chocolate! Don’t be intimidated though; the hardest part about this recipe is melting the chocolate in the microwave! These get even better the next day, as they’re chewier and the chocolate flavor has developed even more, especially if you use a high quality chocolate (although you can use whatever you have available).

Supernatural Brownie Bites
I originally thought that the ingredient list included both chocolate and cocoa powder, but I was mistaken and it only called for chocolate.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Whisk together the four eggs.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Whisk in the granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Melt the butter and chocolate in a double-boiler, or in the microwave in 30-second intervals in a heat-proof bowl, as I did. Pour it into the sugar mixture and whisk to combine.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Add the cup of flour and fold in with a spatula gently until just combined; don’t over mix.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Spray your pan with Pam, or, as I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend, line your tins with mini-muffin cups or liners (I didn’t and mine were pretty hard to get out of the pan) and spoon a bit less than a tablespoon into each cup (do NOT put an entire tablespoon in, it’s too much and they will overflow). Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-22 minutes, until the tops are shiny and they don’t wiggle when you shake the pan.

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Allow to cool completely before removing from the tins.

Supernatural Brownie Bites

Supernatural Brownie Bites
Serves: 44 brownie bites

• 2 sticks (16 tablespoons or 1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghirardelli chocolate chips)
  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup dark or light brown sugar
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  1. Line and spray with Pam 2 24-cup mini-muffin tins. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together, stirring frequently. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk together the eggs. Whisk in the salt, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in chocolate mixture, then fold in flour just until combined, by hand if necessary.
  3. Pour the batter into your prepared pans. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until shiny and the brownies don't wiggle in the pan when you shake it a bit. Cool completely before removing from the tins. Makes 44 brownie bites.

1. Meghan says:

I don’t know why I’ve never thought to put brownies in mini muffin tins! What a great idea! I love the edges of brownies, so this is a great way to maximize it.

2. Gini says:

I love everything mini. I prefer not to use linings. Seems like they always stick too much to whatever I’m baking. Plus they look pretty just like you made them. These look really good to eat.

3. Jane M says:

HOW DO YOU STAY SO SO THIN BAKING AND COOKING? Listen, I do not know how to EAT IN CONTROL! I’ve tried many of your recipes and they are all sooooooooooooooooo good! Now that I’m snowed in, I’M AFRAID TO BAKE THESE BROWNIE BITES BECAUSE THEY MAKE 44 AND I MIGHT EAT 43! AAAAAAAAAAAH! My all time favorite recipe is the ORANGE BEEF! I always think I’m at the Chinese restaurant, but I’m NOT I’M HOME! THANKS FOR YOUR GREAT BLOG! Congrats on the wedding…you looked FAN-DAMN-TASTICK! Really! Best of you luck to you!

4. SD says:

@JaneM…LOL. I hear you! Ditto

5. Jen T. says:

These look wonderful, especially the crinkly tops! If you want to try another good recipe (which, unfortunately, calls for melting chocolate, sorry!), try the Black Coal Cookies on My Baking Adventures. They’re incredibly rich, as they have melted chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate chips, but they’re absolutely delicious! I fed them to the guys at my boyfriend’s frat, along with your lemon sugar cookies, and pretty much became their favorite person ever.

6. Emily Heath says:

Hello, I’m British and would really like to try this yummy looking recipe. An American friend gave me some cups, but I find measuring butter with cups much trickier than in scales, because it doesn’t fit into a cup shape properly. Should I be melting the butter first and then pouring it into the cup to measure it? Or do you know how many pounds or grams one cup of butter is? Thanks!

Your wedding dress was very beautiful :)

7. alison says:

Yum, these look great. I may have to unearth my mini muffin tin from the depths of my cabinet to try these. I’m a firm believer that brownies NEED melted chocolate. It is a pain to melt it, but so totally worth it.

8. Sara says:

I highly recommend brownies made with chocolate instead of cocoa. It is the only way I make brownies now and I find it only takes 5-10 extra minutes. If you have a thick-bottomed sauce pan, you can melt chocolate on the stove without a double boiler (don’t leave it alone, though, for more than about minute at a time), then mix everything up in the saucepan after the chocolate has cooled! I tend to melt my chocolate, run around doing some other things like getting dinner prepped, finish mixing the brownies and then pop them in to bake while I am eating. Fresh brownies for after dinner!

9. Val says:

If you take them out when they’ve cooled for only 2 mins it’s easier to get out of the pan..

10. LizzieBee says:

YUM. I love brownies, and I never make them because one pan always seems too much for just the two of us. But these? These I could gobble down!!

11. Chris says:

Sidney, Congratulations on your wedding! You both looked beautiful and happy. I wish you both all the best.

I *love* your blog and find myself constantly coming here to figure out what’s for dinner. I’m not sure I’ve ever made anything exactly as you have, but I love all of the new ideas you give me.

In regards to Emily’s question about butter. As you said, 1 c is .5 lbs US… but not metric. I have an analog kitchen scale and it puts 1c butter at just over 225 grams, maybe 230 grams.

12. Chris says:

So, I think these just might be the best brownies I’ve ever tasted. Thank you so much for posting the recipe!

13. Kim W. says:

I made a half batch (because I only had 1/2 cup of chocolate chips!), and they were delicious! They had a nice crispy top and a smushy middle. I do admit, I made mine in regular size cupcake pans, and ate two of them. But the bf ate three; so there! Now the peanut butter brownies have some competition!

14. Betty says:

mm these brownie bites are the PERFECT SIZE!
    you seriously cant go wrong when you make brownies they always (in my experience) come out sooooo good :O)

15. Aimee Birdsong says:

I made these tonight, and they are really tasty, but I am having a problem with them sticking to the muffin wrappers!! I even tried lightly spraying them, but it is still a bit of a problem. Any ideas??

Aimee: I didn’t use muffin wrappers, so I’m not sure about that – maybe they are just too small? I bet it you made them regular muffin sized, they would peel away alright. Maybe non-muffin wrapper is the way to go, and instead, just pry them out of the pan with a butter knife.

16. Aimee Birdsong says:

I made another batch, and what I did was butter the muffin pan, and then lightly floured it. They popped RIGHT out, and they were absolutely perfect. I think that baking them directly in the pan also gives them a better texture and outside all around. I highly recommend that you make them this way. Best brownies I have ever had!!

17. Aimee Birdsong says:

Oh, and I did add the miniature chocolate chips, and they were awesome!

18. Julie says:

Could I add walnuts to these & how do you think they would do in one of those all edges brownie pans, given the difficulty you had in getting them out of the muffin tins without liners?