Cheesy Garlic Potatoes

The weather has been beautiful for the past two days here in New York! We went to the park yesterday and did some shopping, and all I had to wear was a sweater. Who would have thought? Not that I’m quite ready for it to get really warm yet, but I’ll stick with the high 50s for now.

This is a recipe that I tweaked a bit from Gourmet magazine. It was a nice change from your typical roasted baby red potatoes. The filling is made of Asiago cheese, mashed up garlic poached in olive oil, basil, and mayo. It’s got tons of flavor and great texture. The cheese has a great bite to it, the garlic is almost caramely, and the potatoes are tender and buttery. I would probably use Parmesan cheese the next time I make these, but I would happily serve them as finger food at a party or as appetizers before dinner. The difference between Parmesan cheese and Asiago cheese is slight, but when you taste them, you can definitely tell. Both cheeses are sharp, but Asiago most certainly has a sharper bite to it. The cheese tastes a bit saltier than Parmesan as well, so if you use Asiago when you make this for a dinner party, it would go over very well with either red or white wine. I personally think it goes well with beer, too, because nothing is better than a salty snack with an ice cold beer. There are sure to become your go-to party food!

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Boil your potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes. Rinse with cold water, then place in the fridge until cool enough to touch.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Place the garlic in a small pot and add the olive oil. Cook over medium-low for 10 minutes, until golden.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Remove the garlic from the oil and mash with a fork until as smooth as possible. Set aside.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Grate your cheese in a medium bowl.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Combine the cheese with the garlic, mayonnaise, and basil.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Hollow out the potato with a teaspoon, just enough to fill with the cheese mixture.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes
Fill the potatoes with 2-3 teaspoons of the filling and sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbling.

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes

Cheesy Garlic Potatoes

• 20-24 small red potatoes
  • 10 garlic cloves
  • ⅔ cup olive oil
  • ⅔ cup Asiago or Parmesan cheese, grated (I used Asiago but I think Parmesan would be much better)
  • ½ cup mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • paprika, for sprinkling
  1. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn the heat down to medium-high and cook for 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain the potatoes, rinse with cold water so they stop cooking, and place in the fridge while you prep everything else so they are cool enough to touch.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the garlic in a small sauce pan and cover with the cup of olive oil. Over medium-low, cook the garlic until golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Remove the garlic from the oil and using a fork, mash it up until it's as smooth as you can make it.
  3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the mashed garlic, dried basil, mayonnaise, and grated cheese. Add pepper to taste, and salt if you really think you need it (the cheeses in this recipe are already pretty salty). Grab your potatoes and cut them in half, then using a teaspoon, scoop out some of the pulp of the potato. I scooped about two teaspoons out; you want to make sure that the shell of the potato is still in tact but that there's enough room to put the filling in it.
  4. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick spray. Stuff the potatoes with the filling (about 2-3 teaspoons) and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve immediately.
Adapted From

1. Lauren says:

The potato is my favorite vegetable of all time and as a devout fan, I want to thank you for this recipe and the scrumptious pictures which have me drooling over my desk…When I was a kid, I used to make twice baked potatoes all the time and was really good at it, but for some reason, these days my potato skins always split…I don’t know if it’s a)the potatoes I’m using, b) they’re too cooked or c) I’m just not gentle enough anymore…do you have any tips on scooping out the ‘tato flesh?

Lauren: Thank you so much for supporting the site! I have a feeling that the potatoes are too cooked. Scooping out the pulp for twice baked potatoes is really hard, I always have trouble keeping the flesh on. Good luck!

2. Meghan says:

Oh my gosh, these look amazing! It’s such a great idea to stuff a potato like this. I love Asiago cheese too!

3. Lurking Tweeter says:

Just had to say that these look good, and I love the name of your blog.

4. Amanda says:

OMG I am going to have to wipe the drool off my desk now! I am going to have to make this for my Mothers Day brunch! I always make Paninis & Belinis along with roasted potatoes every year (which everyone goes crazy for) they are going to LOOOOVE me when I make these! Thank you!!!!

5. Kim says:

I am so jealous that you eat all this delicious food but still look absolutely gorgeous at the same time. If you weren’t awesome, I might hate you.

6. Kate says:

My stomach started growling by the time I got halfway through the description.

7. I love potatoes, I love garlic, and I love cheese. These seem perfect for me.

8. Lauren Mc says:

my fiance is practically drooling over the photos of cheesy garlicky-ness, so I think we’ll be making this one soon :)

9. genevieve says:

just awesome! these look delicious! hub is super excited and begging me to make them right now! haha :)

10. Silvia says:

One glance is all it took-it’s on the menu this week. Hmm…salivary glands are acting up.

11. Yelena says:

Love it! Will be making it this week! =)

12. […] terms. Some recipes that are on my list are her Crock Pot Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic, the Cheesy Garlic Potatoes, and her Restaurant Style Orange Chicken. Enjoy, and let me know what recipes you try! Possibly […]

13. Sara says:

My husband is always asking me to make these now…any time I ask what he wants for dinner I get “I could just eat those nommy potatoes for dinner” lol. Thanks for the recipe!!

14. […] I used parmigiano-reggiano but think I will try Asiago next time. I want that melted cheesiness! Cheesy Garlic Potatoes from The Crepes of Wrath […]

15. […] inspirational) Why You Shouldn’t Use Olive Oil in Your Stir Fry Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Cheesy Garlic Potatoes Surprising Healing Benefits of Spices 50 Pizza […]

16. Kim says:

After making these potatoes half a dozen times, I suppose it’s time to give you a great amount of thanks for posting this recipe!! My fiance and our friends are huge fans, and I find myself making these “TATOES!” every time we’re all together. Soo…thanks!!

17. Jen says:

I made these the other day and just used minced garlic that comes in a jar. I cant believe how good these are. Its nice to have something other than mashed potatoes all the time. This will become a staple in our house!

18. jojo says:

I just found your blog through gojee and I’m your latest fan. I lived in NYC a long time ago and was actually a publicist for many famous chefs of the time. I will try many of your recipes but I was thinking–as an appetizer, might you cut a little of the bottom of the potato (not too much) so on a platter they would stand upright? Keep it up!

19. Austen says:

I have a cook book at home called The Crapes of Wrath – it is mostly Crapes but still fun!

20. Ashleigh says:

I’m in love with this recipe! I’ve made it twice so far, the first time for a family gathering and it was the favorite of everyone. Thanks for sharing!

21. Ali says:

Is this recipe able to be made without mayonnaise? I was going to make this for my mom and she strongly dislikes mayo.

22. […] made cheesy garlic potatoes for lunch today. The original recipe is here. I used cheddar instead of asiago because I wasn’t going to buy new cheese, I used white […]