I saw Amy Poehler at the Upright Citizen’s Brigade last night! It was nuts! I can’t believe she was there! She was so cute and tiny and super pregnant. She performed at the weekly ASSSSCAT show and if you live in New York and haven’t been, you should definitely check it out. You need to make reservations, and the show is every Sunday night at 7:30 ($10) and 9:30 (free, but you have to stand in line for a few hours to get good seats). It was so much fun.
The weather has been beautiful lately. Last weekend was my sister-in-law’s 19th birthday, so my husband’s Aunt Beth put together an amazing picnic in Central Park for her. She brought so much food, I couldn’t believe it! A big green salad, shrimp pasta salad, bagels, two different kinds of cream cheese, cheeses, crackers, cold cuts, chips, and cupcakes! All I did was bring chocolate chip cookies – I felt like such a failure! Next time I’ll have to do much better! Anyway, the day inspired me to make a big, fresh spring salad. I marinated the chicken in some lemon, ginger, and sriracha, and to cut some of the heat of the sriracha, I added some fresh cilantro. The chicken had just the right amount of heat, along with tons of flavor from the lemon, ginger, and soy sauce. The salad dressing is made from honey, white wine vinegar, and olive oil; it added a beautiful bright flavor to the vegetables and chicken. I also bought these cool oranges from the grocery store that were an orange and grapefruit hybrid, so I knew that I had to use them in the salad. I did my best to supreme the oranges, but it’s a skill I’m still working on. When you supreme an orange, your goal is to remove all of the skin and pith, leaving pretty citrus pieces that are wonderful in a salad. If you’re afraid of cutting yourself while you attempt to supreme, simply peeling the orange is fine, put you should definitely give supreming a try! I’m getting better and better at it, so with practice, maybe one day I’ll be able to do a photo tutorial for you. For now, here’s a great video on how to perfect this not so practical, but impressive, skill.
Chop your chicken up.
Place the chicken in a large sealable bag, then add the combined marinade ingredients (the salt, pepper, lemon zest, cilantro, lemon juice, sriracha, ground ginger, and soy sauce). Let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to 24 hours.
Combine the rest of the salad ingredients in a large bowl (the washed and dried salad, tomatoes, citrus fruit, radishes, cucumber, and red onion).
Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil a medium sized frying pan, and cook the chicken (with the marinade) for about 8 minutes, until cooked through.
Serve the chicken over the salad and dress with the honey vinaigrette. Serves 3.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- zest of ½ a lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 or 3 big handfuls of mixed greens or spinach, washed and dried
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 orange or grapefruit, supremed as best as you can (see explanation above, or check out this great photo tutorial)
- 3 radishes, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- ½ a red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the bite-sized pieces of the chicken in a sealable plastic bag. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, cilantro, lemon zest, lemon juice, sriracha, ground ginger, and soy sauce. Pour the marinade into the bag with the chicken and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the salad, tomatoes, citrus fruit, radishes, cucumber, and red onion. Divide the salad among 3 salad bowls.
- Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a medium pan, then pour the chicken and its marinade into the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes or so over medium heat, until cooked through. Place the chicken over the top of the salad and serve the vinaigrette over that. Serves 3.
- Whisk ingredients together and pour over the salad.