Southern Fried Pork Chops

Every once in a while, you have to cook something that you wouldn’t normally cook. Fried food obviously isn’t something that you should cook often, but when you do make fried food, make sure that it’s worth it! I had never made fried pork chops before. In the past, when I fried something, it was usually small, bite-sized pieces of chicken for Chinese dishes such as orange chicken. I was kind of intimidated when my husband suggested that I fry up some the remaining pork chops that we had in our fridge, but I figured that since I made something pretty healthy and low-fat with the other two chops, I would go ahead and humor him by frying these ones. It’d be good for me to learn, anyway, right? That’s what I told myself.

I wanted to make the spice mixture for these pork chops a little bit different. I used the usual flour, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, but then I added some fun extras; turmeric powder, ground mustard, ground sage, ground thyme, ground nutmeg, cayenne pepper, and onion powder. I also battered the chops in the flour twice, to make sure they were nice and crispy. The result was a tangy, smokey pork chop that was so perfectly seasoned I couldn’t believe it myself. I’m usually not a huge fan of fried foods, but I really liked these! All of the flavors went together so well and created a fried pork chop with a little something more. They were also really moist; I was afraid of overcooking or undercooking them, but they ended up being wonderfully juicy and tender. My husband also insisted that I make a gravy to go with the pork chops, but I wasn’t quite sure how it would be because I wouldn’t have any drippings to make the gravy out of. I melted some butter, whisked it together with flour and chicken stock, and cooked it until thickened. The texture was creamy and the flavor was good, but I definitely wish I had been able to use the drippings from something to make my gravy. Does anyone have any better recipes for gravy made without drippings? I’d love to hear them! So, while you might not want to make fried food every night, go ahead and treat yourself every once in a while!

The ingredients.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Rub your chops with salt and pepper.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Whisk together your egg and about 2 tablespoons of water.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Combine your flour and spices in a shallow dish, like a pie tin.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Then dip the pork chops in the egg, then again in the flour.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Heat about an inch and a half to two inches of oil in a pot or pan (enough to cover half of the pork chop) to 350 degrees F, or until not quite simmering. I kept my heat just under half on my stove’s dial (medium heat).

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Fry the chops on each side for 8-9 minutes.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
I made a gravy without fat drippings (sadly), because there weren’t any. I just melted two tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan, then added two tablespoons of flour.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Whisk the flour and butter together until thickened and golden, over medium heat.

Southern Fried Pork Chops
Whisk in the chicken broth and continue to whisk over medium heat until thickened to your liking, about 5-8 minutes.

Author:
Serves: 2

Pork Chops
  • Vegetable oil, enough to fill the pot or pan you'll be using with 1½ to 2 inches of oil (4-5 cups)
  • 2 thick-cut pork chops
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons water
Gravy
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  1. Begin to heat your vegetable oil over just under medium heat. Rub your pork chops with salt and pepper. In a shallow dish, like a pie tin, combine the flour, paprika, ground mustard, sage, thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, turmeric, and nutmeg. In another dish, whisk together the egg and two tablespoons of water.
  2. Dip your pork chops in the flour mixture, then in the egg, then once again in the flour. Place the chops in the vegetable oil (it should not be simmering, at 350 degrees F, just under medium heat). Cook for 8-9 minutes on each side.
  3. While the pork chops cook, start the gravy. Melt the butter over medium heat and then add in the flour, whisking until golden. Add in the chicken broth, and whisk until thickened, about 5-8 minutes. Serve the pork chops with mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, and/or vegetables, and drizzled with the gravy. Serves 2.

1. Jay says:

I miss “Kramer”. Who is this “husband” guy? The pork chops look delicious!

2. Those pork chops look great! I usually don’t make them, because they dry out so easily and I’m also afraid of under cooking them. I’ll give your recipe a try!

3. Pat B says:

To make a gravy with the drippings-drain off most of the fat from the frying of the pork chops, there will be some flavor there. Then make a roux with flour and add seasonings and water. You can also use part of the water you used to boil the potatoes in for the liquid.

Pat B: Thank you very much! I was afraid that doing it that way would be too greasy because of the oil and not very flavorful. I will absolutely do this next time.

4. Juliana says:

Wow, the pork chop look so juicy and tasty…yummie…great photos!

5. Deanna says:

Yum! I would brine the pork chops to make sure they stayed juicy.

6. Tina says:

Looks great , I guess pork chops are on the menu later this week! Hope you are feeling better !

Tina: I’m starting to! I really think it’s allergies because my chest is really tight today and my throat hurts, but there’s no more runny nose. My body hates me, basically, hahah. Thanks for asking!

7. Tina says:

Sydney : I had to go to the Dr today ,have bad pain in my ear ,pain on the side of my head ,runny nose ,sneezing,cough ,just really feeling crappy. He said allergies are really bad this year ,he started me on Allegra -D 12 hr , I hope it works no OTC was helping . I ‘m like you I don’t like taking medicine.Also I’m not far from you ,our weather is about the same , perfect for allergies . Feel better!

8. TabzChewy says:

I am highly unamused by how delicious these looks because:
    1. frying things in my apartment means setting off a horrendous fire alarm
    2. I’m very hungry.

Lovely…too lovely ;_;

9. Caroline G says:

If you don’t have drippings to make gravy with then make an onion gravy instead. Finely chop a small onion then fry gently in beef dripping (here in the UK we can buy beef dripping in blocks) / lard / butter / olive oil (whichever you prefer) until the onion is a really deep colour. Then stir in the flour and add the vegetable water together with a beef or chicken stock cube and season. You can also add Marmite instead of stock if you want it to be completely vegetarian. This is what we make in England – you might have trouble getting hold of Marmite over there!

10. MP says:

I have to say, I am a newbie in the cooking department but I am so excited to try out some of your recipes! Everthing looks absolutly amazing. I admire your work and I hope sooner rather than later I’ll be a better chef! My biggest obstacle is timing but you seem to break it down in a way that I think I can handle…. Wish me luck!

11. Dana says:

What an interesting sounding coating for your pork chops. Perched atop mashed potatoes they look divine!

Great picture!

12. Jen says:

I honestly am so picky about pork chops that I don’t eat them normally, but that slice looks like a chop I could get behind :)

Jen: I’m very picky about pork chops as well, but as long as I’m careful in the way I prepare them, I’m usually pretty happy with them! I’m glad you approve of these ones, haha!

13. ingrid says:

I don’t like frying foods either….all that flying popping grease freaks me out.

You did a great job on the chops…they do look very juicy.

Ingrid: Thanks! It used to freak my out, too, but my husband begs me to make fried stuff every once in a while as a treat, so I learned.

14. I hardly ever fry because I frankly don’t like doing the dishes and cleaning the stove afterwards. I agree, the spice blend is unique and seems like it could hold up to frying.

15. Wow! Those pork chops look fabulous. I will have to give this recipe a shot this week. Hope mine come out as good as yours look.

16. Maggie says:

I just wanted to let you know that these are the ONLY pork chops that ever leave my kitchen. I’ve tried several different ways of cooking them, but my boyfriend and I have been let down by every other recipe we’ve tried. You really set the standard here! I also used this recipe to make a country fried steak once… Amazing. Thank you SO much!

17. Jill says:

i agree with Maggie. You set a standard. This is my daughter’s favorite meal now. Only change I made is that find that it tastes better when using the thinner chops with the bone in.