I very much enjoyed these Zesty Garlic Chicken Wraps. Kramer and I had been out for a late breakfast/early lunch (but not exactly brunch) earlier in the day and were looking for something light to have for dinner. I figured that these wraps would really hit the spot, and they did! I made a simple marinade for the chicken with lemon, olive oil, garlic, pepper, basil, oregano, cayenne pepper, and some fresh thyme, then let that sit in the fridge with the sliced chicken for a few hours while we continued to re-watch Lost (no, I haven’t let go of it yet). I also made a sauce for the wraps with some sour cream, a bit of milk to thin the cream, Parmesan cheese, the same herbs and spices, and golden roasted garlic that I minced into an almost paste. I whisked that together and allowed it to sit in the fridge alongside the chicken so all of the flavors would be able to combine together nicely. When it came time to make dinner, all I had to do was bake the chicken and roll up all of the ingredients into a tasty little wrap. The sauce was really the shining star here. The almost buttery roasted garlic made a huge difference and was so savory and delicious that I wouldn’t hesitate to put this sauce on a sandwich or a burger. I used mostly the same ingredients in the marinade that I did in the sauce, too, so I felt that the two main parts of the wrap fit very well together. The crunchy lettuce, perfectly plump summer tomatoes, and the pepper jack cheese were wonderful accompaniments to the chicken and garlic sauce. I especially think that the pepper jack cheese added an important, ever-so-slightly spicy element to the wrap. I loved everything about these wraps and I know that you will, too!
Combine your marinade ingredients.
Slice your chicken into thin pieces and place in an airtight container or sealable bag. Pour in the marinade and make sure the chicken is as submerged as possible. Refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight.
Place your whole, peeled garlic on a greased baking sheet, coat with a bit of olive oil, and roast at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool.
Mince the cooled, roasted garlic and mash into a bit of a paste with your knife.
Add the minced, roasted garlic to a bowl and add in the Parmesan cheese, sour cream, milk, cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
You can make this ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge overnight, if you like. I made mine about two hours ahead of time and allowing it to sit in the fridge really allowed all of the flavors to come together.
When ready, line and/or grease a baking sheet and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and discard the remaining marinade.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
You can make these while the chicken is still hot or wait for them to cool, they’re delicious either way. Just spread a thin layer of the sauce on the tortilla, add lettuce, tomato, and some pepperjack cheese (if you like), top with the chicken, roll up into a wrap, and enjoy!
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into thin 2-inch long strips
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoons milk
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4-5 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1-2 handfuls of lettuce or spinach
- ½ cup pepper jack cheese, grated (or cheese of your choice - optional)
- Slice the chicken and place the pieces in a large sealable bag or an airtight container. In a small bowl, whisk together the marinade ingredients, then pour it over the chicken. Do the best you can to submerge the chicken completely in the marinade and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or as long as overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Line and/or grease a baking sheet, then brush your whole, peeled garlic cloves with the olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes or so, until golden. Set aside to cool. When cool enough to touch, mince well and with the side of your knife, grind the garlic into a bit of a paste as you mince it by pressing your knife down and dragging it along on the garlic (see photo above).
- Place the garlic paste into a bowl and add in the rest of the sauce ingredients. Whisk together, cover, and place in the fridge until you're ready to serve. You can also place these ingredients in an airtight container and allow to sit overnight with the chicken, if you like.
- When you're ready to eat, grease and/or line a baking sheet and preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Place the chicken on the baking sheet and discard the remaining marinade. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Spread the sauce on a warmed tortilla and add cheese, lettuce, and tomato. Top with the hot (or cooled) chicken and roll up into a wrap. Makes 4 to 5 wraps.