Eggs Rothko

One of our favorite restaurants in Brooklyn, and all of New York, really, is Egg in Williamsburg. We go there quite often for their amazing breakfasts. I usually get the chorizo and eggs or the wonderfully vinegary pulled pork sandwich if we’re there later in the day, but Kramer always sticks to breakfast when we venture over to Egg. He either gets the biscuits and gravy, which are fantastic (and I don’t even like biscuits and gravy, normally), or the Eggs Rothko. Neither of us had ever heard of Eggs Rothko before we ordered it at Egg, and let me tell you, this breakfast dish is something to be celebrated. It only has a few ingredients, but the outcome is phenomenal. Kramer raved about it for days after he tried it for the first time. Part of the reason that I love it is its simplicity: sweet, golden brioche bread with a hole cut out for a fried egg, all topped with Grafton cheddar cheese. These ingredients together are really a thing of wonder. Eggs are a favorite food of ours, as I’ve talked about before, and we often eat breakfast for dinner, or “brinner”, as well like to call it. I started work last week, and so as a special treat, Kramer decided to try making Eggs Rothko at home. The result was a real success! Kramer found some amazing brioche rolls at a bakery in Brooklyn, which I would have happily eaten plain for dinner. He also went over to the Bedford Cheese Shop to pick up some beautifully aged white cheddar cheese that had a nice bite to it, but was still mild enough to go with the brioche. The whole meal took only 10 minutes from start to finish, and believe me, it was a fantastic way to end the day. The bread was a wonderful vessel for soaking up the creamy egg yolk and melted cheddar cheese, and all of these elements together really dance on your tongue, so to speak. This is now my favorite breakfast to make at home; it far surpasses French toast or omelets any day. You can always use regular bread for this, as well, but if you want to make something special, I highly recommend getting your hands on some brioche. The way that the crust crackles just ever so slightly under the broiler, on top of the sweet, fluffy nature bread, is quite a treat.

Eggs Rothko

Eggs Rothko
Slice off the top of the brioche and then level the tops if you need to.

Eggs Rothko
Using a small glass (a shot glass, in our case, cut a hole in the center of the brioche. Keep the cut-outs.

Eggs Rothko
Spread butter on both sides of the brioche and on both sides of the cut-outs, as well as the flat side of the top of the brioche.

Eggs Rothko
Melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a paper towel, spread the butter around the pan to create a smooth surface, but no puddles of butter (you want to create a non-stick surface, not fry the bread in butter). Add the bread to the skillet and turn the heat up to medium-high.

Eggs Rothko
Crack your eggs and place them in the centers of the brioche.

Eggs Rothko
Cook the bread and egg on one side for 2 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes.

Eggs Rothko
When cooked through, top the brioche with your cheese. Place in the oven under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

Eggs Rothko
Puncture the center of the brioche with your fork to unleash the deliciousness that is a perfectly fried egg, perfectly for dipping the sweet, cheesy brioche in. Enjoy!

Eggs Rothko
Serves: 2

• 2 pieces brioche or regular bread (I highly recommend splurging on some brioche for this)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature, plus 1 teaspoon for the pan
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup White Cheddar or Gruyere cheese, grated
  1. Preheat your oven to its broiler setting (about 500 degrees F). If you're using brioche, slice off the "bubble" on the top (if needed) and level the top and bottom of your brioche or whatever bread you're using with a serrated knife (see photo above). Using a small glass, such as a shot glass, cut a hole in the bread. Reserve the cut-out pieces if you like, or eat them right there!
  2. Spread both sides of your brioche or bread with butter (about ½ tablespoon in total for each slice of bread). Heat an oven-proof skillet over medium heat and add in the teaspoon of butter. Using a paper or cloth towel, wipe away any puddles of butter from the pan so you have a thin, non-stick surface. Add in the buttered brioche or bread.
  3. Turn the heat up to medium-high and crack your eggs into the holes of the bread. Cook for about 2 minutes on one side, then carefully flip the bread and cook on the other side for another 2 minutes. Top with your grated cheese and place the skillet with the Eggs Rothko under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from the pan and plate. Serves 2.

1. Emma says:

NICE TO SEE SOMETHING WITHOUR SRIRACHA FINALLY WOOHOO!

2. TabzChewy says:

This looks….nothing short of amazing! I think it’s about time I made it!!

Thank you for the recipe and hope you’re enjoying the new job!

3. Ben says:

runny eggs! brioche! cheese! bookmarking!

4. Mom says:

Wyatt has been practicing his EGG making techniques for next year. I will have to make this for him. A great dinner for the college student!

5. Rachel says:

Litterally just got my stove tuned on and I’m wishing I had the materials to make this. Oh well! Breakfast burrito will suffice.

6. Steph says:

Now, where to find good brioche in Iowa…

Steph: You can use regular bread, too! But I bet there’s at least one bakery in the area that makes it. Bagel places usually have it, too.

7. Tina says:

Another one to put on the to try list . We only eat breakfast on the weekends , so I’m always looking for something new and different . Thanks for a great idea !

8. Memoria says:

I bet this would taste even better with homemade brioche. YUM! I’m not a fan of runny eggs, though. I guess I could cook it longer.

Memoria: The brioche was baked that day, so it was very fresh, but I’m sure that I would appreciate it more if I had made it myself! I just don’t have the patience! Maybe one day.

9. Kevin says:

Sydney, this sounds SO incredible!! I may start making this before school too!!!

By the way, where is the ‘print’ button?? I can’t find it… I usually email myself the entire page anyway so I have the pics, but THIS ONE is goin’ on my phone too!!!

Kevin: It’s definitely quick enough to make before school! The print link should be below the recipe title and at the bottom of the page. :)

10. Skye says:

My boyfriend and I have a very small menu of breakfast foods we enjoy cooking and eating together. I am DEFINITELY forcing him to try this and I think we will both love it! Thank you for sharing!!!

11. Kevin says:

Well look, there it is! I fell SO dumb! haha
    I guess I just couldn’t seem to look slow enough to see it there!

Thank you so much! I’m heading to a bakery right now to try it tonight!
    What other kinds of cheeses would work well with this? I’m not a cheese-genius & haven’t ventured into that realm yet….

Thanks again!

Kevin: Don’t worry about it! It probably didn’t load. :) Any sharp Cheddar cheese (such as Grafton), Gruyere cheese, or Swiss cheese would work well, I think.

12. Kevin says:

Thanks Sydney! I did find some cheeses in ONE grocery store here…however, NOT ONE BAKERY even knew what Brioche was!! Granted, I only have a selection of 5 ‘bakeries’ here in southern Utah…

I simply canNOT wait to move to NYC in a few months so I can actually FIND stuff! haha

Kevin: That’s awesome that you’re moving to the city! I know it’s a big move but it’s so worth it! We moved from similar areas (I was in Phoenix). Good luck!

13. Dana says:

Eggs Rothko sounds so simple but elegant. The joy of a runny egg, with brioche right there to mop up the yolk, and all covered in melted cheese. Sounds like a lovely “brinner”.

14. Kevin says:

Well, not to overpost on ONE entry…but… now that I found a place with some white cheddar here…since I do not have access to a ‘proper’ bakery that knows about brioche, what kind of GOOD alternatives can I look for? I know you said ‘bread’, but I’d like to have something that could properly substitute.

I bought some basic sandwich rolls that are very soft -it seemed the only thing close to the brioche texture that I could find, but I’d like to find something more….yummy…

Sydney, thank you SO much for helping me out! I’m trying, girl, I’m TRYING! haha

15. I can not tell you how much I want this RIGHT NOW!!! I have become addicted to making “eggs in the hole” at 10pm. This looks like a million steps up from what I’ve been making with regular old wheat bread. I’m off to the bakery!

16. Jen says:

I am VERY intrigued. I have a strong feeling my husband will love this as much as I will!

17. Sydney says:

Kevin: Try to find Challa bread. It is the closest texture to brioche. I hope you enjoy!

18. Grace says:

I stumbled upon your blog by accident and am thrilled I did! I love your recipes, the simplicity and approachability of all of them!
    Thanks!!!!!

19. […] Crepes of Wrath’s Eggs Rothko (I used Challah bread since I couldn’t find–and didn’t want to make–brioche) […]

20. Angela Mears says:

Nom nom! I had eggs in a basket (same idea, sliced wheat bread, no cheese) for breakfast but this looks BETTER. Damn.

21. Kara says:

I made this and it was a real success! But I had a lot of trouble finding Brioche rolls; I live in Greenpoint and couldn’t find them anywhere in the Greenpoint/Williamsburg. What Brooklyn bakery did you find them at?

Kara: You can always use challah, but my husband said he went to Bakeri in Williamsburg for it, but there are quite a few places that have it; just search on Yelp! :)

22. Ka Mun says:

oh my goodness. Looks surprisingly simple to make for something that sounds so amazing to eat :) I need to try this!

23. Hillary says:

Thanks for another great recipe! I’ve made several from this site now and they’ve all been very good. My local grocery didn’t have brioche, so I planned to make it myself. But somehow it just never happened. Instead, I ended up using some onion rolls, which worked great. Since one egg didn’t fill up the holes I made, I added a second egg to each one. I cooked a little longer than the recipe called for to get the extra eggs to cook, but next time I would go even longer because the whites were still pretty runny. I think doubling the cooking time would be appropriate. This was really delicious and easy, so I will definitely make again. Thanks!

Hillary: I’ve done that before and had trouble with the double eggs, but the result is doubly delicious when it’s cooked for long enough! I’m glad that it was still tasty and an onion roll sounds right up my ally!

24. lk says:

i’ve been making this my whole life with regular sliced bread. we call it “egg in a hole”

25. sydney's dad says:

Hey syd. I have been in shanghai tis week with my oreilly automotive buyers.we travel all over on large bus. We had a lot of down time and I was showing all the workers your web sight and they loved it. Sorry I can’t be home when you come back home to pheonix. Love you, dad.

26. April says:

I found your blog via Stumbling. I’m so pleased with the accessibility of your recipes! I’ve haven’t been so excited to cook/bake in a long time. The step by step pictures are a God-send. Please keep up this fabulous work!

27. Mandy says:

Um, I’ve been thinking about this all evening!

28. Kine says:

Made brioche buns last night and i just tried ur recipe.It vas absolutly faboulus. Thanks darling!!