Sweet Asian Hot Wings

I’m sorry that I did not post yesterday. My husband’s grandfather passed away on Friday morning, so we were with family for his funeral. We will all miss Russ very much. I only knew him for 5 years, but he was always happy to see us and loved us dearly. We enjoyed gathering with family this weekend to celebrate his life and to remember all of the wonderful moments we spent in his company. Everyone is doing very well and happy to know that he is finally peaceful.

Kramer and I made these wings last week for the Fourth of July. We enjoyed an evening in, watching Independence Day and viewing the fireworks from our roof. We wanted to cook something low-key and tasty, but also something that embodied the holiday. The answer was, of course, hot wings, but what kind? Hot wings are so versatile; there are countless ways to make your wings special. I opted for Sriracha, as I always do. Kramer was very worried about how the hot wings would come out, as he did not think that Sriracha was a good choice. I begged him to have faith in me, because I had always wanted to do wings with this sweet and spicy Thai sauce, and I knew they would be absolutely delicious. Thankfully, I was right! Kramer was actually very surprised. I watched him as he eyed the finished product with skepticism and took his first bite. The transformation on his face made me certain that he was a changed man: hot wings with Sriracha are, in fact, pretty damn tasty! The secret to this recipe is to marinate the wings in a similar sauce that they are coated with. This way, the wings pack a good amount of heat, but not within the sauce, so it doesn’t stick to your lips or tongue in an unpleasant way. Instead, the outside sauce is sweet with just a hint of heat, allowing the spiciness to build a bit as you enjoy the wings, while not burning your mouth. Don’t get me wrong; these weren’t mild by any stretch of the imagination, but they were just a pleasure to eat. You didn’t need to gulp down your beverage with these hot wings, but at the end of your meal, you’ll feel the heat starting to kick in. The honey and garlic are wonderful pairing with the Sriracha, and there is just a bit of lemon juice to cut through it all. I made a Parmesan Ranch Dipping Sauce to serve with the wings, and while you might think that Asian wings don’t go well with a Ranch sauce, you’d be surprised! The cool sauce was a welcome addition to the hot wings. There will be lots of finger licking going on in your house after you serve up a batch of these Sweet Asian Hot Wings!

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
To begin, if you have actual chicken wings, you want to break them down (this could also be easily done with drumsticks). Cut of the tip of the wing and discard it.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Find the line between the drumette and the double-bone section (see above). Find the joint connecting the two. Your knife should slice fairly easily through the area where the joint connects the two pieces.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Continue until you’ve cut up all of your chicken.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Mince your garlic and mash it a bit with your knife. Do this by sliding the knife and pressing down on it over the garlic until it has reduced to half its size as the garlic is mashed, creating a stronger concentration of garlic for the marinade.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.

Sweet Asian Hot WingsSweet Asian Hot Wings
Pour the marinade ingredients over the chicken pieces in a sealable bag or container. Allow to refrigerate for a few hours or as long as overnight.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
When the wings are ready, prepare a wire rack sprayed with non-stick spray over a baking pan (preferably lined with foil) and line them up on the rack.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Bake until the wings are slightly crispy, flipping over halfway through, about 12-15 minutes on each side.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Combine your sauce ingredients and heat in a small pan over medium heat until thickened, about 8 minutes, stirring constantly.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Gather together your ranch dipping sauce ingredients.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
If you have buttermilk, great, but I did not, so I made it by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar to a measuring cup, then pouring in enough milk to reach one cup. Allow this mixture to sit for 5 minutes or so, and you have some homemade buttermilk!

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Combine, cover, and place in the fridge until ready to use.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
When the wings are ready, pour the sauce over them and toss to coat.

Sweet Asian Hot Wings
Sprinkle some sliced green onions over the top, if you like.

Sweet Asian Hot WingsSweet Asian Hot Wings

5.0 from 1 reviews
Serves: 2

Marinade
  • 2½ - 3 pounds chicken wings
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup Sriracha
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced and mashed (see above)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
Sauce
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced and mashed (see above)
  • ½ onion, minced
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • 2 tablespoons Sriracha
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste (add 1 tablespoon, taste, and add another if necessary)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon cumin
  • 3 scallions, green parts only, sliced thinly (for garnish)
Parmesan Ranch Dipping Sauce
  • ¼ cup low-fat mayonnaise
  • ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
  • ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 2-4 tablespoons buttermilk (or regular milk)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced and mashed (see above)
  • 3 scallions, green parts only, sliced thinly
  • squeeze of lemon
Hot Wings
  1. Cut up your wings, if necessary. Cut off the wing tip, then cut apart the double-boned section from the drumette. See the photos above for step-by-step directions. Place the prepared chicken in a sealable bag or container.
  2. Combine the marinade ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together. Pour the marinade over the chicken wings and allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or as long as 24 hours.
  3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with foil, then place a wire rack over it. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. Line the chicken up on the wire rack and bake for 10 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 10-12 minutes, until crispy. You can also forgo the wire rack if you don't have one, I just like to use it because it makes the wings slightly crispier.
  4. While the wings are baking, prepare the sauce. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan, then cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until thickened, stirring every few minutes. Set aside until ready to use. Also prepare the dipping sauce (recipe follows).
  5. When the wings are cooked through, place them in a large bowl and pour the sauce over them. Toss to coat. Serve with the Parmesan Ranch Dipping Sauce (recipe follows). Serves 4 as a light appetizer or 2 for dinner.
Parmesan Ranch Dipping Sauce
  1. Whisk together the ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to combine.

1. Wei-Wei says:

I’m sorry about your husband’s grandfather. I hope your family is well!

Wei-Wei

PS: I cannot handle raw meat photos well, but thank you for the little tutorial.

2. Melissa says:

great pics this week…love the step by step !!

3. Tina says:

Kramer and Sydney you have my deepest sympathy. I missed you guys. ( notice how I just made this Kramers blog too!) So anyway ,the wings sound so good ,I really have to make wings at home ! Thank you for sharing the recipe I’ll let you know how it goes!

4. Katherine says:

My sympathies on your loss.

These wings look delicious though, thank you for sharing :-)

5. Beth says:

I have been looking for a tasty at-home alternative for buffalo wings (buffalo wild wings is so expensive!) and this recipe is perfect. Thank you so much! Cant wait to try this over the weekend.

6. Memoria says:

I send my most sincerest condolences to you, Kramer, and his family. I hope that you all are okay.

On a lighter note, these wings look amazing. As you probably know, I’ve been on a wing kick lately, and I think I need to add these to my menu ASAP. Your final photos and presentation look amazing! Did you get a new camera?

7. Niamh says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that you, Kramer and his family are doing okay *hugs*

8. TabzChewy says:

I’m sorry to hear about Kramer’s grandfather and I hope everything will get betters soon…

For some reason, I never ever thought about making my own ranch…I think I’ll have to give this a try!

TabzChewy: Thank you very much. I never thought to make it myself, either, until I was making the wings and thought I really needed something cool to dip them in!

9. ingrid says:

Sorry to hear about Kramer’s grandfather, Russ.

The wings look good but they do sound spicy. :)

10. Mei Teng says:

Very tasty looking Asian wings. Would go so well with a bowl of rice.

11. Wow, these look delicious! My hubby would absolutely love these!!

12. Angela Mears says:

Came here looking for a roast chicken, and found something maybe even better. Wings are my favorite part of the bird, hands-down. I like that these are so much healthier than fried wings. But they still look crisp and yummy!

13. Phil says:

About how many servings are most of your recipes? I’m often cooking for two, which is frustrating because so many recipes are for four or six or more.

Phil: I always cook for two and save the leftovers. Generally, most of my “batch” recipes are for 4 people, though, so halving it usually does the trick. Most of my chicken breast/pork chop/etc. recipes are for 2. The wings were enough for dinner for my husband and myself.

14. YUM! And with a parmesan dipping sauce? oh man.

15. Syleanna says:

This is the first blog where I have actually printed off recipes. These sound delicious, and I will be making them soon. But I don’t think I have the stomach to cut my own wings, either my boyfriend will cut them for me or I will be buying a precut package.

Well done! I have you bookmarked now and I will definitely be coming back to see what else you make! :)

16. GTL says:

I made these for the superbowl. Great change from the usual hot wings. I’m obsessed with this site by the way….Good stuff on here

17. Sydney, I absolutely love your blog. Also congrats and good luck on the Blog Her cookoff! I am an aspiring chef so I am always looking for new recipes and trying to create new things. I decided to make these wings last night. I actually marinated them for a day. My Fiance loved them and so did I! They were delicious. We were both kind of upset I didnt make more lol. I didn’t get a chance to make the dipping sauce so I will try that next time. I cant wait to make them again. Thanks again for the recipe. I started a blog yesterday. I’m new to this whole blogging thing. Check it out whenever you get a chance. bladesculinarycreations.blogspot.com

18. Dana says:

On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hottest) what would you rate the spicy-ness? I got a super baby as a husband who cant handle to much heat. Thanks!

19. Allie says:

Just made these tonight and my boyfriend and I love them! I had to protect the sauce so he wouldn’t eat it! He loves (and to only a slightly lesser degree myself loves, too) anything with lots of garlic, paprika, and Sriracha, so these were perfect. He kept the leftover sauce for sandwiches (he makes odd sandwiches) he loves it so much. Very awesome recipe! Thank you!

20. [...] Hummus from bellalimento Grilled Buffalo Wings with Avocado Blue Cheese Dip from Eclectic Recipes Sweet Asian Hot Wings from Crepes of Wrath Caramelized Onion Spinach Dip from Bake Your Day Moroccan Carrot Dip from A [...]

21. Renee Ridgeway says:

I made these for a Super Bowl party last year and I was asked to make them again for Sunday’s game. They were such a big hit that I’ve been officially named “Wing Queen”…. thanks for all you do Sydney! LOVE your site!

22. […] 10)  Of course, wings and football go together like cookies and milk.  Give your guests a few different options including traditional, Korean, or sweet hot Asian. […]