Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux

My parents and brother came to visit this past weekend. It was so nice to see my family for the first time since we moved to New York! It’s too bad that they were only able to stay for a few days, but we had fun while we were together. For those of you who live in New York, what are some of the must-see things that you do with visitors? My brother is staying a little longer, so we’re going to take him to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, Coney Island, and Upright Citizen’s Brigade, as well as to a few of our favorite restaurants. We’re also going to see Inception (finally) on Tuesday night; I can’t believe I’ll have to wait until then!

Kramer is the mastermind behind this tasty shrimp dish. I was at work all day, so it was wonderful to come home, sit down, and be served this for dinner! The shrimp were perfectly spicy, but while still being able to taste all of the individual flavors from each ingredients. The garlic is what stood out most for me, which I was very pleased with. The shrimp were cooked beautifully and the color was vibrant; how could you not want to dig into these shrimp? Even better than the shrimp, though, was the corn maque choux that Kramer also made. Maque choux is a dish from Louisiana and can be served as we did, as a side dish, but you can add chicken or other proteins to the mix and create a meal. It’s basically a Cajun version of succotash, so don’t be thrown off by the name! Summer corn is always a treat; it’s sweet and crunchy combination is irresistible. Pair that with some other fresh vegetables and a bit of butter and cream and you’ve got a winning side dish on your hands. I could have eaten this on its own for dinner, honestly. It was so good. It was bright and fresh and everything you would want to serve alongside some spicy Cajun shrimp. The contrast between the heat of the shrimp and coolness of the corn was a match made in heaven, and they both offered a unique texture that kept me going back for more. I hope that you’ll try at least one of these two recipes, and let’s hear it for my husband, the chef!

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
The ingredients.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Mince your herbs finely.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Combine the marinade ingredients together, except for the olive oil. Reserve 2 teaspoons.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque ChouxCajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Add in the shrimp and marinate for no more than 30 minutes.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Add in the corn maque choux ingredients, except for the butter and cream, into a large bowl.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque ChouxCajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Add the corn mixture to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Add the cream or half & half to the pan and cook for another few minutes.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
While you cook the corn, cook the shrimp in a large pan over medium-high heat.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Cook for just a few minutes on each side, until the color is bright and vibrant.

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux

Cajun Shrimp with Maque Choux
Author:
Serves: 2

For the Cajun Shrimp:
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
  • 2½ teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 pound shrimp, shelled and de-veined
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • juice of ½ lime
For the Maque Choux:
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups fresh corn (about 3 ears)
  • ½ onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced (we used half a red and half a green pepper, for color)
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons of reserved shrimp marinade (see above)
  • ¼ cup cream or half & half (I used half & half)
For the Cajun Shrimp:
  1. Combine the garlic, oregano, thyme, paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cayenne pepper in a small bowl and whisk together. Reserve 2 teaspoons for the corn. Add in the 3-4 tablespoons olive oil and stir to combine. Place the shrimp in a sealable bag or container and marinate with the rest of the marinade for no more than 30 minutes.
  2. Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add the extra 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat and add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes or so on each side, or until the shrimp has a bright, vibrant color. Squeeze some lime over the top of the shrimp just before servings. Serve on top of the corn maque chox (recipe follows) and enjoy.
For the Maque Choux:
  1. Melt the butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in the corn, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno and stir to combine. Add in the salt and reserved shrimp marinade. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened.
  2. Add the cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes, until the liquid had reduced and the mixture has thickened a bit. Plate and serve. Serves 2.

1. Memoria says:

Oh, these photos are amazing! The shrimp are calling my name. Now, there are two “chefs” in the house! What a great recipe!

2. Wei-Wei says:

I only just learned what choux means, isn’t it the puff in profiteroles?! I’m confused :S This does look delicious, though. I love shrimp!

Wei-Wei

Wei-Wei: From what I’ve read “choux” has no definitive definition; it actually means “cabbages” in French! When speaking of pastry, it is “choux pastry”, but I suppose even the sophisticated French language has some jibberish in it, too! :)

3. Angela Mears says:

Shrimp and corn is a great combo. Both are succulent and sweet at their best. When sweet corn isn’t in season, I like serving shrimp over polenta. But this… this is just the thing for summer. Go Kramer!

Angela: I’ve tried so hard to like polenta, but it’s just not firm enough for me! It does look beautiful with shrimp on top of it, though!

4. Can I tell how hungry you’ve made me now! Unfortunately stabbing my fork at the pc screen with my fork is just not working out. Gotta get in the kitchen with this recipe.

5. ingrid says:

Next sleep over Babygirl leaves for, I’m making this for dinner for the twins and I!

Looks amazing! Nice job, Kramer! (Btw, I love when my honey does that!)

6. Tina says:

Bravo,Bravo to Kramer ! Wow looks like this would go over big in this house ! I’m so happy for you to have family in for a visit. I can relate all of my family lives away from me and I get sooo excited why they come to stay . Enjoy your visit with your brother ! How lucky is he ,good company ,great food & a guided tour of NYC !! Have a great time !!!!!!!!!!!

7. Karla says:

This seems like a great dish! I wish I could come home to someone cooking that for me :)

8. Susie says:

Coney Island is a great one. I also think Times Square and Union Square are must sees for NYC. Have a great time!

Susie: My parents and brother did Times Square on their own, and we also went to see The Addams Family with Nathan Lane, which was fantastic! We might get a chance to Union Square if the weather stays nice, but I don’t know how interested a 17 year old would be in it (although I love the farmer’s market that is there). Coney Island is my favorite though: Nathan’s and roller coasters, is there anything better?

9. Juliana says:

What a beautiful shrimp dish…love it how you put it together with the corn…absolutely gorgeous!

10. Kate says:

Yum! Thanks for this! It was perfect for the last few frozen shrimp (and cod, finished off after the shrimp with a little bit of beer for the fiance who thinks shellfish are gross…) we had lingering in the freezer and this week’s CSA haul. SO good.

Like, wondering if I can get away with making it again tomorrow, good.

11. What a great meal! Props to Kramer for a job well done. I’m with you—love, love cooking, but also love coming home to a meal already ready :)

12. LindseyBK says:

I made this last night for my boyfriend – what a deelish meal and so easy too! I wanted to lick my plate afterward ;-) – give a pat on the back to Kramer! This will for sure be a repeat dish in my kitchen.

13. allison says:

go to Vosges! I’ll give you some free chocolates

14. […] did, as a side dish, but you can add chicken or other proteins to the mix and create a meal….more […]

15. Dana says:

Wow! That looks so good!

When I read the title, I asked myself, “What is a maque choux?” And as I read, I learned, “Ok… it is basically a succotash. What is a succotash?” Whatever it is, it looks lovely. Off I go to google succotash! :P

16. Katherine says:

I made this last night, and it was wonderful. The shrimp was spicy but the corn really added some sweetness and cooled your mouth a bit. I eyeballed the olive oil when adding it to the shrimp marinade, and I ended up putting too much so the seasoning didnt stick as well. But it still tasted just as good. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Katherine: I’m glad that you enjoyed it! It’s not so bad that the marinade didn’t stick at much; then you get more shrimp flavor!

17. Derrick says:

I am a college student, and this is a dream come true!!! I made this last night…its quick, easy, AND DELICIOUS!

18. joanna says:

Wow, just discovered your website and I’ve already bookmarked a dozen recipes! I made this tonight and it was absolutely delicious! I made a little extra thinking we’d have leftovers but we scraped the pans clean. The Cajun seasoning is just how I like it – the oregano and thyme both add a savoriness to the dish that contrasts beautifully with the sweet, slightly hot corn. The next time I make this I will cook the corn mixture no longer than 8 minutes – we like our veggies nice and crunchy. Great recipe and lovely photos – I can’t wait to try more!

19. […] Choux: The standard version of the dish is just corn and veggies; however this blogger kicks things up a notch by topping the corn dish with spicy, pan-fried […]

20. Elina says:

Could you fix the ‘print_link’ on this page? I’m an old-fashioned cook and like to see a recipe on paper when I cook. Great recipe BTW!