Peaches & Cream Bars

Philadelphia was a lot of fun! It was so nice of my parents to take Kramer and I along with them to Philadelphia. We had cheesesteaks from both Geno’s and Pat’s, which was the highlight, of course. Kramer and I unanimously agreed that Pat’s was the better of the two, but they were both delicious and I’m happy to be able to say that I tried each one! We went to Independence Hall, the Military Museum, Carpenter’s Hall, the Benjamin Franklin Museum, and more. I had such a fantastic time walking through history; I was really in my element. I love just standing in the same place that such incredible people did only a few hundred years ago. We also ate at the Union Trust Steakhouse, which was maybe the most beautiful restaurant I’ve ever been in. I highly recommend visiting the restaurant if you have the chance. Not only was it a lovely place to be in, but the food was outstanding and the service was top notch. Thanks for lovely weekend, Mom and Dad! After Philadelphia, we went over to New Jersey to visit some family and had a great time. It was so good to see my dad’s side of the family, which we hadn’t seen since Kramer and I moved to the East coast. My dad’s uncle lives in a house that was built around 1850, which is just stunning, and his wife, Marilyn, made us a really tasty lunch of homemade pizza, a big, fresh salad, and a buttery apple cobbler. We couldn’t get enough of it! After visiting there, we ventured over to Frenchtown to see my Aunt René. She has two horses, rabbits, kittens, dogs, and a beautiful garden. It was so refreshing to be able to enjoy being outdoors! We all just sat around, talking for hours and catching up. I really had a fabulous weekend and I can’t wait to go back to both Philadelphia and New Jersey!

With Labor Day over, so ends summer! If you have some extra peaches to use up before the weather cools down completely, this is the perfect thing to make. These bars really do taste like Peaches & Cream. The peaches in these bars were plump and perfectly sweet (helped along with a bit of brown sugar and cinnamon), and the cake is just lightly sweet and wonderfully moist. The glaze on top brings everything together, but again, it’s not too sweet. I brought these in to work and I think that they were a perfect breakfast treat alongside a cup of coffee or tea. They are, of course, a lovely dessert as well, and perfect for the end of summer; satisfying, but not too heavy. I personally think that these bars taste best after a day or two in the fridge, so that the glaze has a chance to soak into the cake. If you’re longing for summer to last a little longer, this is the way to do it.

Now, on to what you’ve all been waiting for! The winner of the Bite Me Cookbook! I loved reading everyone’s stories about cooking with their families – food really does bring people together! Thanks to everyone who participated in the giveaway! The big winner is…Aubrie from We Eat! I have e-mailed her to notify her of the win, so congratulations to her!

Peaches & Cream Bars
Cream together your butter and sugar.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the extracts.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Mix in the flour, salt, and cinnamon, until just moistened.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Peel your peaches, either with a peeler or a knife. I find it easier to just use a knife.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Slice your peaches thinly, then mix with the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Spread 3/4 of your batter over your pan.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Place the peaches over the batter as evenly as possible.

Peaches & Cream Bars
Place dollops of the remaining batter over the peaches and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

Peaches & Cream Bars
When the edges of the bars begin to turn golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool. When cooled, drizzle the glaze over the bars and cut into bars.

Author:

• 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 7 ripe peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Glaze
  • 1½ cup powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cream (plus more, if needed)
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a large cookie sheet (AKA a jelly roll pan) with butter or non-stick spray. I used a 12x17 inch jelly roll pan, but a 9x13 will work just fine, the bars will just be thicker and take a bit longer to bake.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar, until smooth and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts. Combine the flour, salt, and cinnamon, then gradually add it into the wet mixture until just moistened (finish by hand if needed - do not overmix).
  3. Spread ¾ of the batters into the prepared pan. Slice the peaches, then squeeze the juice of half of a lemon over them. Toss, then mix the peaches, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl, and distribute evenly over the batter. I used my hands to line them up evenly among the batter, which made it easier to distribute them. Drop the rest of the batter by tablespoonfuls over the peaches (no need to worry about symmetry, as the batter will spread as it bakes), and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden brown. You may need to give the bars an extra 5-8 minutes, depending on how thick they are; the entire top will not turn golden, remember, just the edges.
  4. Allow the bars to cool. Whisk together the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla, and drizzle with a spoon over the bars. Allow the icing to harden a bit, either by leaving on the counter or, as I did, sticking them in the fridge. When the glaze has hardened a bit, slice into bars and serve. Makes 24-36 bars, depending on the size pan you used and how large you cut the bars.
Adapted From

1. Wei-Wei says:

That looks absolutely amazing. I remember in a middle school musical a couple of years ago when we literally sang, “Peaches and creeeeeam… So supreeeeeme! Like a dreeeeeeam…” hehehe. I always think of that when I see (fruits) and cream! 😛

2. Aubrie says:

These look amazing! My dad’s peaches just came on his trees and he sent a bunch home with me yesterday. These bars will be the perfect thing to make with them!

Aubrie: I need my dad to plant a peach tree so he can send some to me! We had some tasty ones at a farmer’s market in New Jersey this past weekend and I’m definitely going to miss them when the weather gets cooler!

3. ingrid says:

You guys did a lot in a short time.

These bars look outstanding! I don’t have peaches but I’m adding them to the grocery list!

Ingrid: Definitely a must-have before the end of summer! I’m notorious amongst family and friends for epic sight-seeing vacations. Kramer and I are actually trying to plan a beach/resort vacation for February/March because every time we go on vacation, we wake up at 7 AM to go do all of the nerdy historical stuff that I want to do and then we’re asleep by 9 PM from exhaustion! :)

4. Rachel says:

These look so good ! And I’m so glad you had a good time in NJ, I recently just moved from the shore area to right near Frenchtown, and I love it here :)

5. These bars look so delicious! Your picture is beautiful too. I love that you can drizzle the glaze over the top for a pretty presentation.

6. V. says:

do you think these would freeze well? I have a ton of peaches to use up and was hoping to make a few batches of these bars to keep handy in the freezer.

7. Shelley says:

These look lovely! And your’s is the best blog name I’ve run across in awhile. Made me laugh out loud!

8. Kim says:

do you think it would matter if your peaches weren’t juicy? i keep getting these peaches that SUCK kind of dry and mushy

Kim: I think that if they were dry, the cake would also become dry and not be as good. However, you do add sugar and a squeeze of lemon over top of the peaches, so that might help bring some life back to the peaches!

9. Kelly says:

Wow… that looks delicious! I’ll have to try it tonight. I’ve never actually baked with peaches – each time I try I end up eating all the peaches before I get around to it. Now… how to get out of work before the peach place closes (for anyone in MD – “Rock Hill Orchard” in Damascus has the BEST peaches… they’re not so perfect now – they were better earlier in the season, but still way better than anything you’ll find in a store).

Kelly: That’s usually my problem, too, but I also have peaches in the office right now, so I can eat my fill here and then go home and bake with the ones I’ve bought! I hope you can sneak out of work a bit early!

10. Michelle says:

Delicious adaption of this recipe!

11. Tina from PA says:

I love peach anything! I got some beautiful peaches at the Scranton farmers market last week, but we ate them all .They were sooo juicey that I had to cut them and eat them from a bowl! We had peach juice running down our arms! But the friend I went with and I had a good laugh! I’m making this soon as I get me more of those super juicey peaches! Glad you & Kramer had a fun weekend !

12. lily says:

personally i think Jim’s on South Street is the best cheesesteak in the city! next time you go to philly you should def check them out!

also don’t know if you know this, but if you go in to NY chinatown, you can catch the “chinatown bus” in to philly’s chinatown for $20! well, it was $20 r/t when i lived there 3 years ago. but it’s still cheaper than amtrak. the bus also goes up to boston’s chinatown and i think also washington dc, too!

Lily: I looked into the bus, but Amtrak got us there in a little over an hour, so I figured it was worth it, plus the seats were very spacious! I slept the whole way, hahah. I will absolutely check out Jim’s the next time I am there! Thanks for the tip!

13. Juliana says:

Wow, these bars look awesome…peach and cream, it is sure a great combination…nice photos!

14. Cherine says:

Those bars are mouthwatering!!

15. Benita says:

Sydney,

The name captivated me; the recipe intrigued me; and the results recieved praise ranging from my 91 year old adopted “Mom” to everyone at my neighbor’s pot luck last weekend. The recipe looks like it can be adapted to many different types of fillings after peach season is over. I’m going to try it with apples/chopped nuts first, then see if it will work with a pear/dried cranberry combo and even a cinnamon/sugar/raisin/nut combo for more of a coffee cake. Sure love your blog – much continued success to you!

16. […] Peaches and Cream Buckle Bars adapted from The Crepes of Wrath […]

17. Kirsten says:

So, I made these last week….and WOW! They were such a hit! What moist, flavorful perfection. Thanks so much for sharing this rockin’ recipe, lady!

18. […] cupcakes. No, something far more brilliant. You see, recently, there was a really amazing looking Peaches & Cream Bars recipe from Sydney at The Crepes of Wrath. Sydney was wrapping up summer with a beautiful layered […]