Thankgiving Recipe Round-Up

Who saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows this weekend? Kramer and I saw it with some friends this weekend and I really enjoyed it! I have never read any of the books, so I don’t have the burden of knowing what they left out or what they changed, but I know that I liked what I saw. I think that these movies are just a lot of fun; I don’t have to think about it too much, but it’s a really well done big budget production with great actors and fantastic special effects. What’s not to like? I especially loved seeing the Cowboys and Aliens trailer before the movie. I am so excited for that. I know that I’m not the only one who looks forward to trailers more than I do the movie, sometimes.

It was great to just relax and hang out this weekend, because this is the week of Thanksgiving! I know that this is definitely a hectic time for everyone. You not only have to do more cooking in one day than most people do in two weeks, but you have to plan ahead, buy all of the ingredients, know how much time you’ll need, prioritize, and coordinate the beginning, middle, and ending of the preparation and serving of each dish! All of that, and there are always a million people running around, phone calls to be made to family and friends in other cities or states, and more. Despite all of this, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. This year, Kramer and I are playing it pretty low key, especially because I have to work the next day. It will be our first Thanksgiving alone in our apartment. I’m looking forward to waking up, cooking all day, and splitting a bottle of wine with my husband while we spend some quality time together. Knowing how stressful this holiday can be, despite all of the good stuff that comes along with it, as well, I wanted to do a little round-up of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes that everyone in your family will love. I wanted to help give you all a little inspiration for your own very special holiday meal! My own menu will include a number of the following dishes, and I hope that they will be on your table this Thursday, too!

Finally, be sure to check out my Curried Butternut Squash Post for your last chance to see how you can win a trip home for the Holidays from Folgers!

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
Pumpkin Pie Pancakes

What better way to start off Thanksgiving morning than with these delicious Pumpkin Pie Pancakes? They are sure to put you in a festive mood, and the recipe makes enough for a crowd. You can use pure pumpkin or pumpkin pie mix to make these. Either way, the pumpkin puree adds a level of richness and moisture unlike any pancakes you’ve ever had! Each bite will remind you of the wonderful meal ahead, and make you feel like a kid again. These pancakes not only have pumpkin, but a hint of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, as well. These fluffy ‘cakes will be sure to put a smile on the faces of your friends and family.

Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Curried Butternut Squash Soup

This Curried Butternut Squash Soup is not only vegetarian, but a welcome twist on an old favorite. The butternut squash is rich and flavorful, attributes which are only accentuated by the fragrant curry and turmeric. This soup is quite autumnal. It is mild, rich, and just a little bit sweet, which makes for the perfect starting dish for your Thanksgiving meal.

Maple Roasted Yam Salad with Cranberries and Pecans
Maple Roasted Yam Salad with Cranberries and Pecans

This is a lovely, seasonal side dish for Thanksgiving: a Maple Roasted Yam Salad with Dried Cranberries and Toasted Pecans. This dish can be served hot or cold, which is perfect for bringing to a potluck dinner or for making ahead of time. The yams are slightly sweet, rich, and hearty, while the acidity of the cranberries and the sweetness of the maple syrup really bring out all of the best flavors in the yams. The toasted pecans add a much needed crunchy element as well. Other than tasting fabulous, this salad is beautiful and colorful, so it will be sure to make your Thanksgiving dinner pop!

Savory Sweet Potatoes
Savory Sweet Potatoes

This is another option for your sweet potatoes this year. These Savory Sweet Potatoes are perfectly savory, proving once and again that sweet potatoes do not need to have marshmallows on them all of the time. The ingredients are simple: fresh herbs, garlic, and shallots roasted simply in the oven with some salt and pepper. My husband said that he prefers sweet potatoes prepared this way to even good ol’ mashed potatoes, so we will be enjoying this dish with our meal this year.

Mom's Chestnut, Sausage, and Apple Stuffing
Mom’s Sausage, Chestnut, & Apple Stuffing

My Mom’s Sausage, Chestnut, and Apple Stuffing was a staple in my childhood. I grew up loving this stuffing, and I will continue to make it every year as long as I am able because it is, hands down, the most delicious stuffing in the entire world. I know a lot of people say that about a lot of family recipes, but this stuffing is outstanding. It is made with sweet Italian sausage, crisp apples, juicy dried cranberries, freshly roasted chestnuts, fresh herbs, and stuffing cubes. It is the most perfect stuffing combination. It’s not wet and mushy, like a lot of stuffings, but instead, full of life and flavor, bursting with different tastes and textures that will keep you and your guests coming back for more.

Sugar Pumpkin Lasagna
Sugar Pumpkin Lasagna

This Sugar Pumpkin Lasagna is a fabulous vegetarian option for your Thanksgiving centerpiece. Instead of doing something like a “tofurkey”, I believe that you should be able to take a little creative license with your vegetarian options. This lasagna is baked inside of a “pie” or “sugar” pumpkin, using the rich pumpkin itself, ricotta cheese, chestnuts, and a mixture of caramelized onions, garlic, and meaty mushrooms. All of this is layered between lasagna noodles, seasonal yellow zucchini, and a luscious, creamy bechamel sauce. The combination is beautifully savory and quite impressive.

White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Truffles
White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Truffles

These White Chocolate Pumpkin Spice Truffles are decadent little desserts that are perfect for large groups. The cake is a heavenly combination of browned butter, warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and pumpkin puree, which is then combined with a rich cinnamon cream cheese frosting. All of that is rolled up into balls and dipped in white chocolate, making for perhaps one of the most sinfully delicious treats that you will have this holiday season. Not only are these little truffles packed with interesting flavor combinations, but they are easy to make a lot of and can be decorated in any number of creative ways.

Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies
Salted Dulce de Leche Cookies

These Salted Dulce de Leche cookies are not traditional for a Thanksgiving dessert, but they are quite delicious and a fun way to mix things up this year. The salted caramel is a sophisticated way to dress up an ordinary sandwich cookie, and the cookies themselves are soft and pillowy, a perfect pairing with the sweet and salty caramel. I promise you that these won’t last long on the dessert table.

Monkey Bread Mini-Muffins
Monkey Bread Mini-Muffins

These Monkey Bread Mini-Muffins are another great way to make a lot of desserts for a group of people in a short period of time. These can be made in the bread machine or by hand, and the ooey-gooey cinnamon filling topped with a simple vanilla glaze make for a lovely way to end a meal, as well as a great way to jump-start the following morning (if there are any leftovers, that is).

1. Wei-Wei says:

What a delicious collection of recipes – a very, very good job!

2. Jen T. says:

Great collection of recipes! And it sounds really nice to just relax at home, rather than trying to get somewhere in awful traffic with a bunch of food you don’t want to slide around/drop. I’m in Wisconsin with my family right now, we did Thanksgiving on Saturday because of my mom’s work schedule and because I’m going to my boyfriend’s grandparents’ houses for Thanksgiving this year (so I will be doing the long-drive-with-pies-in-the-backseat routine!). And thanks for not having any HP spoilers- I’m going to see it on Wednesday with my boyfriend and best friend, and I was really relieved I could open this without fear, haha! Happy Thanksgiving Sydney!

Jen T: I would never put spoilers on my site! I hate when people are careless about stuff like that – the reason you get excited to see a movie is because you don’t know what is going to happen (most of the time, anyway)! Good luck getting all of the pies to your destination! And I’m glad that the lemon sugar cookies were a hit! I was thinking about making them again some time soon, myself – they are so simple and so delicious! Happy Thanksgiving!

3. Jen T. says:

Ok, so I was babbling because I couldn’t remember what I actually came on here to tell you, and I just remembered. I made your lemon sugar cookies yesterday morning, and my grandma came home from church with three lemons. Apparently she’d told so many people at their post-church breakfast group about how wonderful they are, that everyone wanted her to bring them in next week. So now I’m apparently making a triple batch of them in the next few days! Just wanted to say thanks, and that everyone loves them!

4. ingrid says:

You won’t be shocked to hear that I’m looking forward to the desserts.

Happy Thanksgiving!

5. Lauren Gaw says:

Sydney, Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you and Kramer have a nice and quiet thanksgiving. I was so inspired by your lasagna in a pumpkin, that I went out and bought one to try it for myself. The pumpkin is just waiting patiently on my counter. I haven’t seen Harry Potter yet, but hope to soon. I did got to the movies on Saturday night and was met with a mob scene because everyone was flocking to see HP! It was a parking nightmare. I saw Morning Glory, and would recommend it! I can’t wait for a few days off this week (I’m a grad student!) What is that you do for work? when you aren’t cooking!
    Lauren

Lauren Gaw: Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I’m happy to have inspired you – let me know how it goes! I hope that you enjoy your time off. I never went to grad school, but I know that when I was in college, any break was an immense relief! Right now I live in New York City and I work as an admin for an asset management firm. Fun stuff! 😉

6. Tina from PA says:

Great round up! I’m going to start cooking tomorrow,and I have a lot of desserts to make for my dessert buffet. I will make everything from pies,cookies, mini muffins ,cakes,you name I will have it, at least 20 different things.I love it ! It’s so relaxed ,we have such a good time! Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!

Tina: I’m jealous of your dessert buffet! I’m just doing a mini-pumpkin pie for my husband and myself, since it’ll be only the two of us. I hope that everyone appreciates all of your hard work!

7. Emily says:

Thankfully I don’t have to do too much cooking because I am going to other people’s homes for Thanksgiving. I am planning on making my mom your Pumpkin Pancakes for breakfast though. Also, I made the truffles for Halloween and everyone went crazy for them.

Happy Thanksgiving!

8. Jen says:

Okay, I totally saw Harry Potter when it opened at midnight and it was awesome. We’re hardcore fans(hence our themed wedding) and I approved heartily. In fact, I’ve seen it twice already. Sooo goooood. Anywho, I’m making your chestnut, apple, sausage stuffing for thanksgiving 😀 It looks amazing! <3

Jen: I would love to go see movies at midnight – but I can’t anymore now that I have a “real” job. 😉 I’m glad you’re making the stuffing! Have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

9. Shelley says:

I’d like that yam salad, please. Looks divine. Have a great Turkey Day!

10. Tina from PA says:

Oh my ,don’t be jealous,you and Kremer can come! I ‘m only making dinner for the 2 of us ,because my family is out of town and my husbands mom and brother and his gang spend the day with my SIL ‘s parents. That’s why we have a open house in the evening, and I never have any dinner leftovers by time everyone picks at that too! It really is a great time!

11. Michelle says:

Delicious round-up.
    Glad to hear you liked the new HP movie. I’m not all that into them, but my son and husband are getting movie tickets as a gift, so it’s good to know they’ll enjoy the show.

12. Lauren Gaw says:

Thanks Sydney! I will let you know how it all goes. I have just one class to get through tonight and then I can let the baking begin!!!!! I am planning on making pumpkin and a pecan pie, and some fresh rolls to go along with dinner! I hope the job is going well for you!

Cheers!

13. Lisa Marie says:

These look delicious! Im going to make these white chocolate pumpkin spice truffles! as well as this spiced sugar pumpkin cake, any other suggestions? I love thanksgiving! http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/blogs/four-green-steps/best-thanksgiving-desserts

14. Juliana says:

Sydney, what a great round-up…they all look delicious :-)