Salted Chocolate “Twix” Bars

We’re watching our friend’s cat right now, and it’s a lot of fun. Kramer and I want to get a pet so badly, but I just don’t think that I have the time, energy, or, frankly, money, to take care of an animal the way I would like to. For now, though, it’s just fun to pretend to have a pet for a week. His name is Eddie and he’s pretty funny. I’ve never had a cat before, but Kramer grew up with them so he’s more accustomed to their behavior than I am. My dog at home, Tessa, is always so interested in what you’re up to and even sleeps under the covers at the foot of the bed, which I love and miss so much! Eddie, though, is very much his own man. He is happy to come hang out with us on the couch, but only when he feels like it, and he’ll go away as soon as you move a muscle. We’ve been having fun watching him explore our apartment and trying to get his attention. He probably can’t wait for our friend to get home so he can get the hell out of here, which he has made very clear by digging his nails into our couch. At least he gets to go home tomorrow!

These bars really do taste like Twix, and I’m not even exaggerating. The crust is a shortbread cookie, which is buttery and slightly crisp, serving as the perfect base for these bars. The center is a lovely caramel, made from condensed milk, which you all know makes dulce de leche, so you can be sure that this caramel is absolutely delicious. I love how this caramel turned out; it’s rich and thick, but not too chewy or too sweet. The chocolate topping is pretty standard, but the fleur de sel picks things up and elevates these to a more sophisticated “Twix” bar – I’d be pretty happy if I unwrapped a candy wrapper and found this inside! This recipe makes plenty of bars for a party or to bring into the office, and it’s easy to make! There caramel doesn’t take any special equipment or having to stand by the stove for hour on end, and the fleur de sel makes things seem much more complicated than what they actually are. The best part is how thick these are, so each bite is full of shortbread, caramel, and salted chocolate – a perfect trio resulting in a fantastic dessert. I imagine that they would be very well received at your New Year’s Eve party! Enjoy!

Salted Chocolate

Salted Chocolate
Combine your flour, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt.

Salted Chocolate
Cut your cold butter into cubes and add to the flour.

Salted Chocolate
Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until a course mixture forms.

Salted Chocolate Salted Chocolate
Mix in the water and the egg yolk until combined.

Salted Chocolate
Using your hands, spread the dough into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden.

Salted Chocolate Salted Chocolate
Combine the condensed milk, butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and vanilla in a sauce pot. Melt over medium heat.

Salted Chocolate
Bring the mixture to a boil and stir for 5 minutes straight to prevent burning.

Salted Chocolate
Spread the caramel over the baked shortbread crust. Place in the fridge and allow to set for 15-20 minutes.

Salted Chocolate
Melt your chocolate in a double boiler, on the stove, or in the microwave until smooth, stirring constantly.

Salted Chocolate
Spread the melted chocolate over the set caramel.

Salted Chocolate
Sprinkle the fleur de sel over the chocolate and place in the fridge to chill and set for at least 2 hours.

Salted Chocolate Salted Chocolate Be sure to “like” me on Facebook so you can keep updated on all of my new recipes for 2011!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Salted Chocolate "Twix" Bars
Serves: 36-40 bars

Shortbread Crust
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 2 egg yolks
Caramel
  • 2 14 oz. cans sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • ¼ cup corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Salted Chocolate
  • 1 12 oz. bag chocolate (I would have preferred semisweet, but I only had milk chocolate, so I used that and it was great, just sweet)
  • 1 tablespoon fleur de sel, for topping
  1. Start by making your shortbread. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or your hands (I think that using your hands is easier and makes for less clean up later), cut together the cold, cubed butter until a coarse crumb forms. Add in the water and egg yolks, and beat together until well combined.
  2. Grease a 9x13 pan with Pam or butter, then spread the shortbread dough out into the pan. The dough is pretty sticky, so I found it easiest to just spread it out with my hands. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Set aside to cool while you make the caramel.
  3. To make the caramel, combine the sweetened condensed milk, the brown sugar, the butter, the corn syrup, and the vanilla in a medium sized sauce pot. Place over medium heat and stir often until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and stir constantly until thickened. If you have a thermometer, you want the caramel to be around 220 degrees F. If you don't, you want to stir for at least 5 solid minutes while it simmers.
  4. When the caramel is ready, pour it over the baked shortbread crust and spread it out evenly. Set the shortbread and caramel aside and let it cool and set in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. While it sets, melt your chocolate in a double boiler if you have it. If not, you can just use a regular sauce pot and be sure to stir constantly so that the chocolate doesn't burn. You can also use the microwave, stirring after 30 second intervals, until smooth. Spread the chocolate over the caramel and sprinkle with the tablespoon of fleur de sel. Place the whole pan in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars and serve. Makes 36-40 bars and can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.

1. Jane M says:

These look so so good! I’m gaining so much weight baking, cooking, and OVER EATING that I have to stop the MADNESS! I’m now FATTENING up our UPS Driver because I don’t know what to do with all the food coming out of our kitchen! I did make 2 of your Chinese recipes for XMAS night – as we don’t celebrate the holiday and didn’t want to go out for Chinese food (after our Katz’s deli lunch). I made the orange chicken and the Asian lettuce wraps! A lot of work and giant mess, but OH SO WORTH IT! Thanks and happy new year!

@Jane M: Thankfully, I have an office to bring treats in to or else I’d be putting on even more weight than I already have over the holidays! Chinese is my favorite Christmas treat – we made pizzas this year, but Chinese is a classic! I’m glad you liked both recipes and Happy New Year to you, too!

@Lauren: Thank you very much!

2. My husband JUST asked me the other day to make him homemade twix bars! This is the best looking recipe I have seen for them and they look absolutely delicious!

3. Mom says:

I think the boys would LOVE these. Luckily I have them to feed all of the baking. Wyatt just ate TWO whole boxes of chocolates I had gotten them for Christmas.
    That is the nice part of being 18 and 6 foot 1. I am making these tomorrow since my freezer has been cleaned out by two boys!

Mom: I wish I could have cooked and baked for them more when they were here, but I wanted them to eat all of the good food that NYC has to offer! I wish I had Wyatt’s metabolism, too! When we went out for lunch one day, we all had a bunch of sushi, then went out and he had an apple cider doughnut, a Belgium waffle, and then cannoli later on that he bought, after we had pizza for dinner. He’s so lucky.

4. Mom says:

and he only weights 167 lbs…..

5. Shanon says:

Wow!
    These look great! I want to pull one out from my computer right now. I have always thought about attempting these-your step-by-step pics make it look easy! I need a chocolate fix right now. :)

6. polwig says:

Twix are by far my favorite bars. This look amazing…

7. These look like absolute heaven! And your photography is stunning.

8. OK, OK, enough already about the luscious looking twix bars! Let’s talk some more about Eddie. (Just kidding. No, I’m not :)

I would eat your twix bars in a heart beat, but I would kitty-sit for Eddie in half a heart beat. What a handsome cat! I have two of my own that keep us entertained and our laps warm. Nothing like a cat to make a place feel like home.

Hope you are making your way through the snow drifts safely.

Kathleen

9. Katie says:

Looks gorgeous. Love the salty sweet combo

10. Fia says:

Oh my Lord! I’m a twixaholic and this I have to try. I’m gonna blog about your recipe… I hope that’s ok. If not pleace let me know and I’ll remove your pics!!

11. Jen T says:

Ok, I’ve always been much more of a dog person, but that last picture of you holding Eddie is hilarious! I don’t think I could handle having a cat, though, they’re way too aloof and act like moody teenagers to me. Now a chocolate lab, that’s a different story!

Oh, and the twix bars look good, too… Haha! I tried the Millionaire’s Shortbread from Baked, which is basically the same idea, but I wasn’t happy with the ratios of ingredients (too much shortbread, not enough everything else), nor with how soft and not shortbread-y the crust was. I may have to try these now- although a half batch, because my office isn’t so big on sweets and I don’t want to eat them all!

Jen T: I agree. Having a cat makes me miss the dog I have at home at my parent’s house! I need a pet that wants to hang out and be petted. You actually just inspired me to buy the Baked cookbook! We got some pies delivered from them to the office today for a co-worker’s birthday, and they were just so amazing that I had to get the book. Thank you!

12. Michelle says:

We have a dog and a cat. The dog is still a pup, sort of – only just turning one. She’s into a lot of mischief all the time and the cat can’t stand her. Not the peace and harmony I was hoping for. I must say that I could easily soothe my sadness with a few of your salted twix bars. : ) They’re awesome!

@Michelle: I want a puppy SO badly! That probably won’t happen for at least 5 years, though. I’m jealous!

@Sara: Thank you! I hope that these turn out better for your sister!

@Sarah: I’m glad to be of service!

@Kris: Hmm, I’m not sure! You definitely used brown sugar, not granulated sugar, right? Maybe it just wasn’t cooked for long enough, same thing with the oven. Everyone’s ovens and stoves are different, so sometimes things take a bit longer (or less time) than the recipe says. I truly am sorry that it didn’t work out for you! I’m glad you liked the salt, though.

@Ivana: If you can find liquid glucose, use that, or try this recipe out (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf21362042.tip.html). Good luck!

13. Sara says:

Those look absolutely DEEEE-lect-able! My mouth is watering like a water balloon went off in my mouth. I am acutally so sick of seeing sweets, but this is like none other that I have seen. I’m allergic to milk, but I might have to sacrifice for this…and share with others! :)
    I think I need to show my sister this recipe because she tried making something like this a few summers ago, and they didn’t turn out like that at all. They were mushy and the carmel was all stringy! Thank you so, so much for sharing!

14. Sarah says:

This looks amazing. I’m thankful for your step-by-step photos. Very helpful!

15. Kris says:

I just love your blog and have made many of your recipes…they are wonderful. I saw this post tonight and my son said, “you have to make that right now!”

Well, I just tasted them and while they are good, the caramel layer doesn’t have the rich color your picture shows. It is about the same color as the crust. Any idea what I did wrong? I don’t think I cooked the crust long enough either, it is kind of soft. I love the addition of the salt to the top. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

16. Ivana says:

Woah these look so tempting! Just wanted to know if you could substitute the corn syrup with anything though, as corn syrup is really hard to find in Australia…
    Happy New Year :)

17. [...] Salted chocolate “twix” bars Crepes of Wrath [...]

18. alison says:

These look insane! I bought some sweetened condensed milk today and will be making them tomorrow for my husband’s co workers. I don’t have any fleur de sel, so I’ll just omit that part. Thanks for the incredible recipe!

19. Rachael says:

…in your kitchen stealing your noms.

and I am in love with that cat. He reminds me of my little Otis :)

20. Dana says:

These sound great! My mom makes something kind of similar, I’m going to have to try this out!

21. Ashley says:

I made these last night and they turned out perfect! I used parchment paper so they were easy to lift out and cut after they set. I couldn’t find fleur de sel so I used sea salt and it worked just fine! The making of the caramel part was interesting, it didn’t thicken too much but worked perfectly in the end! Loved them! Thanks for the recipe!

22. Salt, chocolate and twix? Yeah, you pretty much had me at the headline. These look fabulous – fattening but totally fabulous

23. Lauren says:

Just put these in the fridge to chill – as a new chef, it was a bit of a task for me to make them, but I think they’ll turn out really well! Everything smells delicious and I can’t wait to try a bite. It was such a fun adventure making everything from scratch – I had no idea how to make a caramel! I’ll post again once I try them out. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us!

24. [...] Adapted from Crepes of Wrath [...]

25. Maidenemmy says:

I have never heard of fleur de sel. Can one use any kind of sea salt?

Maidenemmy: Absolutely, use any sea salt. You can definitely get fleur de sel anywhere online or in a specialty bake shop, though – it’s so worth it!

26. Kelley says:

Hi, I just wanted you to know that I made this recipe gluten free.
    My daughter has celiac disease, making her gluten intolerant. And that means she can’t have her favorite candy bar, Twix, because it contains wheat.
    So when I saw this recipe posted on a friend’s facebook wall, I had to try it.
    I think the taste is more sophisticated than twix.
    I wanted you to know that the only change I had to make to the recipe was to use a gluten free flour (I used Jules’ Gluten Free Flour) and make sure the chocolate was gluten free (most is).
    I have a question about the shortbread. When I stuck that in the oven, I immediately started on the caramel. So when the caramel was done, the shortbread was still pretty hot out of the oven. I let it sit a few minutes but did end up pouring the caramel on while the shortbread was very warm. I suppose it would have been crisper if I had waited to make the caramel until the shortbread was cooled entirely. Not that the soft-flakiness of the shortbread was a problem (indeed, its tenderness was nice) but that if I’m looking to make it more twix-like, that crispness would be nice. Any comment?
    We used sea salt on top and, oh, salt + dark chocolate= heaven.

Kelley: I think if you let the shortbread cool, it will be a lot crispier because the moisture from the caramel won’t sink into the cookie as much. I’m happy to hear that this was an easy gluten-free conversion! Thanks for sharing. :)

27. [...] DIY Twix Bars: There is nothing about these that I do not want. Just go look at the candy pictures. GO LOOK. I cannot wait until I have my own kitchen. [...]

28. slim dream says:

wow this looks really tasty :). To bad im on a strict diet >.<

29. Elyse says:

I edited this recipe by adding pretzels and pecans to the caramel layer. It added a really great crunchy/salty layer and I highly recommend it to anyone baking this dish. It was delicious! Great recipe, thanks!

30. Cindy Lou says:

These look yummy!

31. Veerle Van Keer says:

This recipe is absolutely divine! Made it for the second time yesterday and turned out super! Did add peanuts, so is more like a snickers in stead of twix..

Keep it up!
    Veerle, greetings from Ghent, Belgium

32. Brooke says:

Made these earlier today and just shovelled one into my mouth… i had planned on being a lady but after one bite i couldn’t control myself. TOO yummy! Surprisingly the salt is my FAVE bit. perfect compliment to the sweet chocolate n caramel.
    Just like every recipe i’ve made from here, it’s sure to be a hit with everyone at work tomorrow. Makes working Saturdays bare able i’m sure.

xx

33. Kim says:

I made these just as the recipe said and they were wonderful! I took them into work and was declared a “baking genius” !! I do have a question…the directions say to boil and stir the caramel for five minutes; yet, I had to stirr for at least 45 minutes until the mixture had that “caramel-brown” color and thickness because given less time the mixture was neither thick nor the right color. Also, instead of melting the chocolate, I sprinkled the chips over the hot caramel and spread them around after they had melted. Still…delicious!!! and…Thank you!!!

34. Tammie says:

Really Karo syrup?? Do you have a substitute????

35. [...] These bars really do taste like Twix, and I’m not even exaggerating. The crust is a shortbread cookie, which is buttery and slightly crisp, serving as the perfect base for these bars. The center is a lovely caramel, made from condensed milk, which you all know makes dulce de leche , so you can be sure that this caramel is absolutely delicious. Salted Chocolate “Twix” Bars | Crepes of Wrath [...]

36. Kathy says:

These are delicious. My caramel did turn out a little grainy, though. The color was a little light, but I did cook to 220. Any idea why my caramel was a little grainy?

Your sugar just didn’t dissolve all the way – maybe your thermometer is a bit off or maybe it wasn’t stirred enough – I hope that it didn’t deter you too much from the whole recipe, though!

37. Callie says:

I made this today and it was so tasty. Took a little while to make the carmel thicken, but it was worth it. My family gave it 100/100.
    I used parchment paper to line the pan and that worked perfectly, and no mess! I would also refrigerate it for more than two hours, the chocolate still hadn’t softened by then, but it was still delicious.
    Thanks so much for the recipe!

38. Michelle says:

I boned the shortbread (I give up on any crust), but oh man, that caramel! Delightful.