Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers

I walked to work in the snow this morning. Again. It was cute at first, but now it’s just too much! At least the city seems to be more prepared this time, although I haven’t been outside since 7:30 AM, so time will tell how prepared they really are. My neighborhood was salted up and down, though, so I’m hopeful. It’s fun watching the snow fall from my office 20 stories up, though! Too bad that I know when I finally start my trek home, I’m not going to think that it’s beautiful at all. I’ll enjoy it while it lasts, I suppose. We are planning to head up to Eastchester and New Rochelle this weekend to visit with Kramer’s family, so I’m staying positive that the MTA-North will continue running! What are everyone else’s weekend plans? I’m excited to spend some time with the Kramers and the Behrs – it’s been far too long! Wish us luck in getting out of the city!

I know that everyone is probably trying to eat a little lighter now that the holidays are over, but it’s so hard! It’s difficult to get out of the habit of cooking big, stick-to-your-ribs types of meals. Not only are they delicious, but they’re fun and make everyone feel comforted and happy. These stuffed peppers are a great way to transition into healthier eating in 2011. Think of them as a low-carb taco, if you like (I know, it’s a stretch, but work with me here). I used ground chicken instead of ground beef, and instead of a taco shell, the chicken is stuffed into a roasted bell pepper and topped with some pepperjack cheese. My favorite part, though, is the Mexican rice that’s inside. Now, you can cut back on the amount of rice you use if you’re looking to eat fewer carbs, but it’s pretty tasty, so you might have a hard time doing it. Here’s to a happy and healthy 2011, starting with these peppers!

Mince your shallots.

And your garlic.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Add the shallots to the pan with some heated olive oil and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes, over medium heat.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Add in the garlic and cook for a minute, until fragrant. Add in the ground meat and spices, cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Remove the mixture from the pan and place in a separate bowl. Cover and set aside until ready to use.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Drain any grease from your pot, and add in your oil and heat it up over medium heat. Add in your rinsed rice. Cook over medium heat until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add in your minced garlic and saute for a few minutes, until fragrant.

Chop your onion.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Add it to the food processor with your tomatoes, and chili powder.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Puree the vegetable mixture and add it to the rice along with your broth.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Bring to a boil, then cover and cook in a 325 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir, cover, and place back in the oven for another 15 minutes.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
While your rice cooks, you can get your peppers ready. Clean them well and slice the tops off of them. You can do it two different ways, as shown above.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
In a 325 degree F oven, roast the peppers for 10 minutes, until softened.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Look at that beautiful Mexican rice!

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Add the chicken to the rice and stir to combine.

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
Now it’s time to stuff your peppers. Stuff them with the rice mixture, then add some grated cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.

Serve and enjoy!

Serves: 4-5

Meat
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey (I used chicken)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
  • ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
Rice
  • ⅓ cup olive oil (or vegetable/canola oil)
  • 2 cups long grain white rice (I used Basmati), uncooked
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes, with juices
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
  • ¼ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
Peppers
  • 4-5 bell peppers, cleaned and tops cut off
  • 1½ cups pepperjack cheese (or any other cheese that you prefer)
  1. Start with the meat. Heat the olive oil in a large pot (the same one you will use for the rice) and saute the minced shallot until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another minute or so over medium heat. Add in the ground chicken, then the spices. Cook for 8 minutes or so over medium heat, until cooked through (don't over cook - it will continue cooking after being removed from the pot as well as when it is added to the rice).
  2. Remove the chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Cover with foil and set aside. Drain the pot of any grease that has accumulated.
  3. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Place 2 cups of long grain rice into a mesh sieve and rinse with water until the water runs clear. Shake off the excess water. Heat the ⅓ cup olive oil in an oven-proof pot over medium heat and add in the rice. Cook until almost translucent, about 8 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
  4. In a food processor or blender, process the can of tomatoes with its juices, chopped onion, and chili powder. When the rice and garlic are ready, add the processed mixture to the rice, stir, and add in the vegetable or chicken broth.
  5. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then cover and place in the oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove it from the oven and stir to make sure it isn’t burning on the bottom, then return to the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes, until most of the vegetable broth has been soaked up by the rice. Stir and taste for seasoning. Now, this make a lot of rice, so add rice to the chicken or turkey mixture and stop when you have added the amount that you want. Use the leftover rice to serve on the side or as leftovers for the next night.
  6. While the rice cooks, you can prepare your bell peppers. Clean them well and slice off their tops, either by slicing it off while upright or laying it on its side and cutting it lengthwise (both versions can be seen in the photos above). Roast on a baking sheet in a 325 degree F oven for 10 minutes or so, until just barely tender. Remove and set aside until ready to use.
  7. When the meat and rice are ready, stuff the bell peppers with the chicken and rice mixture. Grate enough pepperjack cheese to cover the meat. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or so, until the cheese is bubbling.

1. Mom says:

A++ Looks like a nice quick dinner plan!

@Mom: Thanks!

@Megan: Thank you! I needed something bright to lighten up my winter!

@Jen: Thank you very much!

@Dana: Thank you! Good luck with all of your snow!

2. This looks ridiculously good. And it’s pretty and bright! Love it.

3. Jen says:

Sydney, these look amazing! The colors are especially gorgeous. :D

4. Dana says:

As someone who spends 7-8 months a year in snow (and generally lots of it): I feel your pain, but snow isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Your Mexican rice looks amazing on its own, it must be truly scrumptious in a stuffed pepper!

5. Tina from PA says:

These peppers look devine! Hope you have a safe trip and a great time ,stay warm!

@Tina: Thank you! I managed to keep all of my fingers and toes.

@Jen T: We actually moved here in February 2010, so we were just in time for that awful storm last year. You’re a saint to go help friends fix up their new house!

6. Jen T says:

I’m with Dana, I was even just thinking the rice sounded awesome! I’m a little curious, since you moved to NY in February last year, did you guys miss the brunt of winter? I know this year’s been exceptionally snowy, which is probably making the transition even harder. Somehow Chicago had two 60 degree days last week, so now everything’s just icy from when everythign refroze.

Your weekend plans sound like a lot of fun too. Good luck getting there- I’m sure the trains will keep running! I’m getting up early tomorrow (ok, my regular work time, but it’s Saturday, 5:30 is early!) to drive to the north suburbs and visit some friends- they just bought a house that needs a lot of work, so everyone’s pitching in this weekend. I’m ducking out early though because my grandparents will be in town tomorrow afternoon.

7. new ro says:

Hey, I live in New Rochelle! I’m a reader, but this is my first time commenting. Had to when I saw you are headed my way. I always check your site. Love reading about your recipies and family, etc and seeing your yummy photos. We didn’t get much accumulation of snow here so don’t worry, your commute should be fine. Enjoy your weekend!

8. Stacy says:

I stumbled upon your website last weekend and I am so glad I did…and I’m so glad it was at the end of my winter break and I could spend an entire evening looking at it without a pile of ungraded papers staring at me! These stuffed peppers look delicious, and I bet my picky boys will eat the filling as a meal! Thanks so much for sharing it and have a safe, fun weekend!

@New Ro: It is so pretty up in New Rochelle right now – I’m jealous!

@Stacy: Enjoy the rest of your break, I’m sure that the end is coming up faster than you had expected!

@Lauren: Thank you!

@Michelle: Kramer wasn’t a huge fan of the pepper-eating, either, but he loved the filling!

9. I agree that it is so hard to transition from holiday eating to clean, healthy eating! These are so pretty, how could you resist?

10. Michelle says:

These look really wonderful. I’ve never enjoyed eating peppers, but I really love the color they bring to dishes.

11. Mmm, this looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!!!

12. Janelle says:

I know I’m, like, the 5th one to say this but these peppers look SO amazing and delicious! I can’t wait to make them this week.

13. Nic says:

Wow! These pictures look so enticing, I’m actually curious as to what kind of camera you use!

14. Kelsey says:

I saw this recipe last week and decided to try it on the weekend with my boyfriend.
    We followed all the steps, and had WAYYYYY too much rice filling!!
    We were able to go out and buy 3 more peppers and fill them up (after filling up 5), and we STILL have a container of rice filling left (I’ll use them for burritos).
    Next time we make these, I’m going to have to half the rice portion of the recipe!

It was absolutely delicious tho =) I love the different flavours in the rice filling!
    Yumm yumm!!

Kelsey: I completely forgot that I used half of the rice – I made these quite a while ago. Thank you for pointing this out. I have adjusted the recipe to reflect how much rice there is. I’m glad it still tasted good and thanks again!

15. MichellePC says:

These look fantastic! I’ve been wondering what to make for dinner tonight all afternoon, and these sound tasty and satisfying. Thanks for the recipe!

16. Nicolette says:

I’m a follower, not much of a commenter. However, I made these vegetarian style tonight and they were fantastic! Thanks for the awesome recipe! I’m using the pepper tops and left over rice to make salads. :)

17. [...] Crepes of Wrath’s recipe for Mexican Stuffed Peppers caught my eye as soon as she posted it. I love stuffed peppers, they make great leftovers too, such neat little packages. [...]

18. Sara says:

I’m curious as to what cheese *you* used. It looks super delicious!

19. Jen says:

These were awesome!! My husband and I had a great time making them. I actually liked all the extra filling-but I ended up needing to cook the rice longer than you said (maybe because I used brown rice?) Anyway, an extra 20 minutes in the oven, and the rice was fantastic!

20. Mel says:

Minus the meat (subbed with Quorn, or simply left out), this looks super awesome, will definitely be making it sometime! =)

21. Talathia says:

I’m eating these as I speak (type?) and doing homework, they are DELISH and making my homework not quite as bad!

22. [...] Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe adapted from The Crepes of Wrath. [...]

23. [...] Peppers *Recipe inspired by Crepes of Wrath and How Sweet It [...]

24. […] is more Mexican than peppers?  Love the look of these Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers developed The Crepes of […]

25. I love peppers and I love cheese. So I really thought this would be a fun idea for a party. So I featured it on my Friday Five – Mexican addition over @Feed Your Soul Too – http://www.feedyoursoul2.com/2014/06/friday-five-mexican-addition-3.html