Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip

Everything is back to normal this week, sadly, including the weather (it rained this morning, then it started to snow). Kramer and I had a great time with my brother, Wyatt, all week. We went to the United Nations building (here’s a photo of me with Ban Ki-Moon), Grand Central, FAO Schwartz to get candy, then we walked to Central Park to eat said candy. We had some nice dinners, and even got to hang out on the roof of our friend’s office building, which had a great view of the city. Now it’s time to count down the days until Kramer and I get to go back to Phoenix to visit everyone (except my poor father, who is on business in China until April and gets back into town on the same day that we leave). I can’t wait to hang out in the hot tub, go hiking, and see people that we haven’t seen in almost a year and a half!

This is one of the last items that I will be sharing with you from the Oscar party that we had in February. I’ve honestly been so busy that it’s taken me this long to go through, edit the photos, and write up the recipes for all of the things we served. This was one of the dips (or spreads, whatever you want to call it) that we made. I didn’t want to do the usual hummus with pita chips, but I still wanted to keep this dip light and maybe even a bit refreshing. I decided on goat cheese and artichokes, because it wasn’t something I had seen at another party before and I absolutely adore goat cheese. The lemon zest completely brightens this dip up, while the goat cheese is hearty and creamy, and the artichokes lend a different level of flavor and just a bit of acidity to bring it all together. You will notice that this dip does not have any added salt, because the Parmigiano-Reggiano and capers add all of the salt that we need. Now, before you say that you don’t like capers, please give this a chance! Capers are probably in more of your favorite foods than you’d think, like tartar sauce, marinara sauce, and plenty of spaghetti recipes. They are just little buds from the caper bush, and are salted and cured and/or brined, just like an olive. They are more interesting to use than just plain old salt in this artichoke dip, plus, since you will have leftover capers, it’s the perfect excuse to go out and get some nice smoked salmon, bagels, and cream cheese (which we did). I used the leftovers of this dip to put on bagels and sandwiches, as well as finishing it off with some more pita chips. If you’re sick of the same dips and spreads that you see everywhere, give this one a go! It’s easily adaptable and tastes great without making you feel heavy.

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip
Zest your lemon.

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip
Roughly chop your parsley.

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip
And rinse your artichokes. Puree these ingredients with the Parmigiano-Reggiano, goat cheese, mustard, capers, and ground black pepper.

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip
Garnish with a few parsley leaves and serve with pita bread, pita chips, and/or vegetables.

Goat Cheese Artichoke Dip

• 2 cans artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
  • 12 ounces high quality goat cheese
  • ¼ cup FRESHLY grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
  • 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest (plus more to taste)
  • ground black pepper, to taste
  1. In a food processor or blender, combine the rinsed artichoke hearts, goat cheese, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, chopped flat leaf parsley, dijon mustard, rinsed capers, lemon zest, and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Pulse until combined. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve in a bowl garnished with some parsley leaves, and enjoy on pita chips, pita bread, or with veggies like carrots, celery, radishes, or cucumber.

1. Megan says:

You had me at goat cheese. This is pretty! And I have no doubt, it’s delicious.

2. mom says:

It looks fabulous! Well, unfortunately you will be getting the boring old hummus and pita chips at my get together, but there will be some Canadian classics also…
    that made me laugh!

3. I’m not quite convinced that I’d like the capers in this, but the rest of the dip sounds awesome!

4. Michelle says:

MMm! I love artichokes in dips. This looks awesome!

5. Nina says:

I *heart* goat cheese! Goat makes everything wonderful….Can’t wait to try this!

6. Michelle says:

Such a simple, quick recipe with so many complex flavors. Love goat cheese. Yum!

7. Anthony says:

Goat cheese seems to be one of those food items people either love or hate. Me, I love it. 😀

This looks like a great change from popcorn for movie night.

@Anthony: I think people are starting to realize that it’s really good – it’s not scary just because it’s from a goat! I should really do this on a movie night – great idea!

@Kindra: Aw, thank you so much! We are trying to get the most out of it since we spent so much of our lives away from a big, metropolitan area like this.

8. Kindra says:

This looks like such a great and delicious dip! I love reading your blog by the way, it looks like you have an awesome life in New York :)

9. I love goat cheese. I love capers. Until I get around to buying the rest of the ingredients, I’ll be snacking on goat cheese crusted in capers :)

10. Susie says:

My sons just recently discovered the deliciousness of goat cheese. This looks like a perfect snack for me to make for them!

@Susie: That’s great that your kids like goat cheese!

@Natalie: Thank you!

@Erin: Thanks for posting it!

@Cheryl: I’m sorry to hear that! I like it really lemony, but you’re right in that not everyone would like that – I’ve adjusted it per your suggestion. Thanks for letting me know!

11. LOVE each of those ingredients!! I cannot wait to make this dip! bookmarked! :)

12. Erin says:

This sounds amazing! I’m posting it on my blog. Thanks for the great recipe.

13. Cheryl says:

I made this dip tonight for my weekly dinner with friends and sorry to say that I had to throw it away. The zest of an entire lemon (and, admittedly, I used a large lemon) completely overpowered the recipe. My advice is to add 1 tsp. of lemon zest and add more to taste. A specific measurement is always better!

14. […] Goat cheese artichoke dip at Crepes of Wrath […]

15. looks so delicious, I love goat cheese!

16. So many of my favorite ingredients in one recipe!

17. Yummmm!! Love all of these ingredients.

18. jojo says:

Love goat cheese? Have you ever tried baking and serving this warm?