Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Kramer honestly made these all by himself. I can take no credit for them. He even took all of the photos himself. He’s quite the burgeoning food blogger, isn’t he? I’m quite proud of him. As I’ve said before, he is the bread maker in our household. I don’t have the patience required for it except on rare occasions, while he loves playing with dough. To that, I say, good for him! That only means more bread for me. I even recently bought him Bread: A Baker’s Book of Techniques and Recipes by Jeffrey Hamelman on commenter Juliana M.’s suggestion. He loved it, and on Sunday, after I got out of the shower, he was sitting on our sunny balcony, reading it! I hope that means that we’re going to be having even more warm, homemade bread laying around our apartment soon!

Kramer and I are truly pretzel fiends, so we figured what better way to satisfy our pretzel cravings than by making some soft pretzel bites? The end product was delightful – light, slightly chewy, and with a nice crust on the outside. I personally liked to dip these in a nice spicy mustard, while Kramer preferred to dip his in dijon. They were quite a hit at our Oscar Party in February, and I cannot wait to make them again. The only thing is that they don’t keep very well past 24 hours or so, so they really should be eaten the day of. If you are like us, though, and don’t have time to make 50 pretzel bites the day of your party or gathering, be sure to let them sit out – don’t put them in an air-tight container, like we did, or else they will become sort of soggy. We fixed this by letting them sit out for 5 or 6 hours the day of our party so that they “dried out” a bit. Oh well, lesson learned! They were still delicious and I really couldn’t get enough of them.

First, melt your butter.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Then add it to your water, sugar, yeast, and salt.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Add the flour and pulse until smooth and combined.

Homemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Now, on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough into a ball.

Homemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Oil a large bowl, place the dough in it, and roll it out to make sure it is covered. Cover the bowl and allow to rise in a warm spot for at least 1 hour, until it has about doubled in size.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
When the dough has risen, remove it from the bowl and cut into smaller pieces.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Now make those smaller pieces into 8 long ropes, about 22 inches in length.

Homemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Now cut the ropes into 1-inch pieces.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Cover the bites and allow them to rise again for another 20-30 minutes.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Boil for about 30 seconds in batches.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
Brush your pretzels with the egg wash.

Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites
And sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden.

Homemade Soft Pretzel BitesHomemade Soft Pretzel Bites

Serves: 80 pretzel bites

Pretzels
  • 1½ cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (this is usually 1 packet, but double check to be sure)
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 4½ to 5 cups all-purpose flour
Cooking the Pretzels
  • vegetable or olive oil (for oiling your bowl)
  • 3 quarts water
  • ¾ cup baking soda
  • 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
  • Coarse sea salt or fleur de sel (we used kosher salt and it worked well)
  1. To make the pretzels, combine the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer or a food processor and beat or pulse until well incorporated. Afterward, allow it to stand for about 5 minutes. If you are using a food processor, great, but if you are using a stand mixer, use your dough hook, then add in the salt and 4½ cups of flour, then mix or pulse on low speed until combined. Bring the speed up to medium and continue kneading or pulsing until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, you can add more flour a 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl or processor, place on a flat, lightly floured surface, and knead into a ball with your hands.
  2. Lightly oil a large bowl with vegetable oil or olive oil, then add the dough and turn it to coat with the oil. Cover it with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. We placed ours on our windowsill in the sunlight - it was only about 40 degrees F that day, though.
  3. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a flat, lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4¼ to 4½ ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope that is about 22 inches long. Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces, then cover and allow to rise again for another 20-30 minutes.
  4. When the dough has risen again, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot and add in the baking soda. Now you can boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches - don't overcrowd the pot - 10-15 pretzels at a time is a good number. Boil for about 30 seconds, then remove the pretzels with a large, slotted spoon or spatula. Place pretzel bites on a lightly greased baking sheet, being sure that they are not touching one another. Brush the tops with the egg and water mixture and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Place the pretzels in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating. These are great fresh from the oven or room temperature. Serve with some nice mustard and enjoy!
Adapted From

1. Jane M says:

WOW very very nice pretzels. I’ve only tried making pretzels once before and I think it’s a fun project. Very fun for a par-tay indeed!

2. Jen says:

Oooh they look so good! The only breadmaking I’ve done is marzipan stollen during the holidays, but I think I could handle these.

@Jen: Thank you! Stollen is a lot of work and one of my favorite desserts! If you can make that, I’m sure this would be a piece of cake for you!

@Mom: It was, it was. We are in the market for a new one – we’re thinking the biggest one that KitchenAid makes (we saw that they use them on Top Chef, plus they come in red to match my mixer).

@Julie: Thank you for stopping by!

@Maddy: It’s not so bad when there are two people in the kitchen!

3. mom says:

I have made a good amount of bread, great kneading technique Kramer! The aroma of fresh baking bread is the best. That must of been before the “death” of the Cuisinart ..

4. LOVE pretzels!!! LOVE THEM! Thanks for this recipe :)

5. Maddy says:

Oh my goodness, this looks delicious! And who could’ve imagined all the work that goes into making a batch!

6. This is so funny that you just posted a comment on my website. Just last week I found your site as I was searching for Pretzel Rolls. They make them a lot here in St Louis and I love them. I copied your recipe among others to try and make some. They also make them in large thick strips here that are easy to eat on the run. You should try to make some like that.

I’m looking forward to making them. Thanks for visiting my site. Don’t forget to sign up for my free giveaway as well.

Have a great day!

@Vicki: That sounds like a good idea – I will definitely make them soon!

@Viv: That’s what I was saying all day while he made them! :)

@Michelle: Great idea! Sounds delicious.

7. Michelle says:

Yum, I love soft pretzels. And making yeast breads from scratch. It does take some paitience but the end results are so worth it. I think I’m going to try making these into a sweet recipe with some cinnamon and sugar coating. :-)

8. Tracy says:

I’ve only tried my hand at making bread once before (and it turned out decent…not great, but edible), but I think I’m going to try this one for a baseball opening season party on the 9th. :-) Go Braves!!

I wonder if there’s a way to make them cheesey pretzels… Thoughts or guidance?

TFS!

@Tracy: Sounds like a great way to start the season! I think you could sprinkle them with some nice cheese halfway through baking time. Maybe Parmesan or a nice sharp cheddar?

@Hannah: Pretzels buns? Genius!

9. Hannah says:

I’ve made pretzel buns before and that’s the extent of my pretzel making but these are definitely worth another go at it!

10. Kimmy says:

These look perfect for a great party dish or just an anytime snack. It’s definitely bookmarked!

11. Oh my gosh. These look amazing. Your hubby is a GREAT blogger :)

12. Meri says:

haha awesome- I came for the blog name (I love a good pun) and STAYED for the pretzel bites! These are my favorite, I’ll have to try making some as an adventure.
    Cheers!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

13. Jen T. says:

Droooool… I keep seeing these around the blogosphere, and every time I wonder why I haven’t made them. Kramer (or Sydney), did you have trouble with boiling them? It seems like the dough should dissolve when it gets boiled, which is one of the big things holding me back. Thanks!

Jen: We didn’t, but only because you only boil them for 30 seconds – it’s just to give them a nice sheen, not to cook them at all. I promise it’ll be okay! :)

14. Katie says:

Just made these! AMAZING. So good. All my roommates ate them up. I will for sure be making these again soon. Thank you for the recipe!!

15. […] Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites (from Crepes of Wrath) Soft pretzels are one of those foods that I love but never really crave… until I smell them!  You know what I’m talking about.  Picture this; you’re innocently walking through the mall (could be any old mall) when you happen to pass the food court.  All of a sudden, you are overwhelmed by the rich, buttery, cinnamon-sugary scent of Auntie Anne’s.  Mmmm.  Yeah, I want that scent wafting through my apartment […]

16. […] better than a cheese doused soft pretzel? That’s right. Nothing. We made these pretzel bites from the Crepes of Wrath website for E & J’s Twins Opening Day […]

17. Bob says:

Sydney – thank you for these! They came out amazing. We did half the batch with salt, following the recipe, and half with cinnamon/sugar. FYI – I wouldn’t recommend the cinnamon/sugar – the sugar burnt a bit and you really couldn’t taste the sweetness or cinnamon.

18. […] 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (this is usually 1 packet, but double check to be sure) Homemade Soft Pretzel Bites […]