This red cabbage salad is the perfect accompaniment to your Cinco de Mayo celebrations this week. I’m always on the look out for something to top my tacos with other than my old stand by, pico de gallo. This salad adds a nice crunch to any filling, be it fish or meat. I love the sweet and sour combination, too, with the sweetness coming from agave nectar, and the sour coming from the fresh lime juice. It really wakes up your mouth and makes you hungry for more! If you can’t get agave nectar, honey will work just fine, too, but there’s just something about agave that I love. It is produced in Mexico and is a bit sweeter than sugar, while still having an almost nutty flavor, a bit like browned butter or caramel, which is absolutely delicious and a fun alternative to honey. Best of all, it’s vegan, as it comes from a plant, so if you are making a vegan taco, this is a great alternative to any cream or cheese based toppings. It is refreshing without being overwhelming, which is just what you want on your tacos, in my opinion. My mom loved this salad so much that she just ate it straight, so it can even double as a side dish! Who would have thought cabbage had so many possibilities?
Combine the lime juice, agave nectar, vinegar, and salt and set aside.
Peel the outer leaves off of your cabbage.
And slice thinly, either with a sharp knife or a mandolin.
Now pick your cilantro leaves off of their stems.
And mince the cilantro.
Add the cilantro to the cabbage.
Toss the cabbage and cilantro with the dressing and let sit for 20 minutes or so. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- 1 very small head of red cabbage, washed and dried
- ⅔ cup cilantro, washed, dried, and minced
- juice of 2-3 limes
- 1-2 tablespoons agave nectar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1-2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (depending on how acidic you want it)
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Remove the dirty outer leaves of the cabbage and cut off the root end. Wash the cabbage as best you can, then slice it very thinly, either with a sharp knife or a mandolin. Place the thinly sliced cabbage in a medium to large bowl. Mince your cilantro and toss it with the sliced cabbage. Whisk together your lime juice, agave, red wine vinegar, and salt. Pour it over the cabbage and cilantro and toss to combine. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes, so that the flavors can develop, taste, add more lime/agave/vinegar/salt as you see fit. Serve as a side dish, over tacos, on burgers, or whatever you like!