Watermelon Margaritas

Yesterday was officially the first day of summer, so what better way to celebrate than by combining two of my favorite summer treats: watermelon and margaritas! Kramer and I have been devouring at least one watermelon a week between the two of us, and I don’t think I’m going to get sick of it any time soon. Every year when watermelon season ends, I get a little depressed, thinking about how I will have to wait another year for what I believe to be the most delicious of fruits. Watermelon truly does taste like candy…so why not add a little tequila to it? These are some of the most refreshing margaritas I’ve ever had, and hey, since watermelon is, in fact, mostly water, you can hydrate while you drink! I’ve solved two of your problems right there for you: drinking enough water and finding a simple cocktail to make on hot summer days. You’re welcome, world. It’s easy to whip up a pitcher of these for backyard get togethers, or, in our case, small Brooklyn balcony get togethers. Happy Summer!

Watermelon Margaritas
What you’ll need.

Watermelon Margaritas
Squeeze your lime juice.

Watermelon Margaritas
And puree your watermelon.

Watermelon MargaritasWatermelon Margaritas
Throw it all in the shaker with the tequila, triple sec, simple syrup, and ice cubes. Shake for about 30 seconds.

Watermelon Margaritas
Strain into two salt-rimmed glasses and start sipping!

Watermelon Margaritas
Serves: 2 drinks

• 1½ cups pureed watermelon
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1½ ounces triple sec
  • 6 ounces tequila
  • dash of simple syrup (optional)
  • ice, for shaking and for the glass
  • salt (I like to use fleur de sel, but kosher salt will do), for the rim
  1. I pureed my watermelon in my food processor, but a blender or even an immersion blender can do the trick. Add the pureed watermelon, lime juice, triple sec, tequila, and a dash of simple syrup, if you like, to your mixer. Drop in a few ice cubes and shake for 30 seconds. Wipe the rim of each glass with a wedge of watermelon, then dip the edges in your salt and fill with 2 ice cubes each. Strain the drinks into the glasses and garnish with small watermelon wedge or a slice of lime.

1. I was on watermelon overload a couple of weeks ago, I so wish I had thought to make these!

@Lauren: There’s still plenty of time – summer’s just begun!

@Anthony: Thanks! My parents gave them to me (as it usually the case with the nice things I have, haha).

2. Anthony says:

Off on a tangent, but I love those glasses.

3. Mindy says:

I can’t do tequila (for the reason most people swear off a certain booze), but your pictures make these look amazing. I’m thinkin’ vodka wouldn’t suck as a replacement. Yum!

4. I am loving these drink recipes! Looks perfect for the summer. Like Mindy I think I’ll need to substitute vodka. One bad night in my youth forever ruined me to Tequila. What a shame. Hahah.

5. Right so the water hydrates you while you drink but you forgot an even healthier aspect, all that Vitamin C from the lime juice. A truly healthy drink wouldn’t you say? ;)

6. This looks right up my alley! Watermelon is soooo refreshing in the summer!

7. Jen says:

Oh that looks seriously refreshing. I could use some more watermelon in my life.

8. Stacy says:

So I call my husband in to check out your margaritas, and he gets all excited about your food processor! I’m going to have to apologize to the boys that I’ve just comandeered the watermelon on the counter!

@Stacy: A food processor is something that is easy to get excited about! I know we were thrilled when my parents bought us our new one! :)

@Natalie: Let me know how it stands up!

9. 2 years ago on vacation I had a watermelon margarita and I’m still dreaming about them! Can’t wait to try this!!

10. Miss says:

This looks so refreshing, I love it! Tequila is my favorite!

11. Dana says:

I made watermelon margaritas on Wednesday after a not particularly pleasant afternoon at work. They certainly helped make the world a little rosier after having paint explode all over me.

• Enes says:

Yummy — I actually bhogut a little watermelon this morning. Going to have to try this – despite it being October now! :) Stopping by from SITS to welcome you to the gang! Have a great weekend.

12. Peggy says:

Well, I originally planned to just make a watermelon salad with my watermelon, but not anymore. The book club girls are gonna love this!

13. Nic says:

These were AMAZING!!! So we had them a second night but cut the top of a pretty balancy watermelon, used the immersion blender to gut it, the strainer in a bowl to grab the seeds & junk, then poured the good stuff back in the melon w limes, tequila, simple syrup and had the CUTEST centerpiece. Used a spoon, but wanted to really use straws!!

Thanks for the idea

14. Derek says:

watermelon and liquor – not a bad combo.
    i’ve blended pineapple, rum and ice together. also very dangerous b/c its so refreshing. (tyler and i are actually drinking one right now. I hope our boss isnt reading this).

Derek: I’m definitely stealing the pineapple and rum drink, so thank you for that! You’ll have to come by and enjoy them with us in Brooklyn.

15. […] You’ll need: Patron or similar, fresh limes, triple sec, simple syrup, salt and of course the recipe (see link below). Recipe via Crepes of Wrath […]

16. […] too. I think it’s becoming a chronic, perhaps even lifelong, condition for me. Think this watermelon margarita can cure it? Not sure, but I’m definitely gonna give it a shot. I’ll get back to […]

17. […] Watermelon MargaritasA rich source of vitamin A and the antioxidant lycopene, pureed watermelon gives this cocktail a […]

18. sally says: