When Häagen-Dazs® asked me to create a new, exciting recipe for their Like No Other® program to pair with their delicious brand of ice creams, I jumped at the chance. Everyone loves ice cream, and what ice cream is more iconic than Häagen-Dazs®? While the name doesn’t sound like an American brand, it actually is! Many people don’t know that the first Häagen-Dazs® location was right here in Brooklyn, New York, and was established in 1976! Who would have thought it? I love baking with whisky, as I’m sure you all know, so I thought this would be a great opportunity to combine some of summer’s most plentiful fruit with the rich butter pecan flavor of Häagen-Dazs® ice cream. Häagen-Dazs® is actually a fantastic dessert ice cream, because it is quite rich, due to the fact that it has a high butterfat content, and as little air as possible is incorporated into the treat during its creation. What better ice cream to pair with a grown-up dessert such as this Whisky Peach and Plum Galette?
The crust on this galette is absolutely to die for, and it couldn’t be easier to make! A galette isn’t anything fancy; it’s simply an open faced, rustic version of a pie. You only need flour, sugar, salt, and butter – mix them all together, chill for an hour, and bake! Before you know it, you have a light, flaky pastry crust that just calls out for some kind of fruit filling. I settled on peaches and plums, because, well it’s summer, after all! I wait all year long for peaches and plums to be in season – I’m a sucker for stone fruit in general, but there’s just something about these two fruits that call to me. I had to add a little whisky to the brown sugar caramel sauce that I drenched everything in, because I wanted to be able to use the butter pecan ice cream, and nothing works as well with butter pecan than whisky! The crunchy richness of the ice cream with the sweet, delicate galette work in perfect harmony as you take each bite, and I promise you, your friends and family will be begging for more. Enjoy this galette with peaches, plums, or any of your favorite summer fruits, and make sure to check out BlogHer, as well as the Häagen-Dazs® like no other Facebook page for more recipe ideas to pair with your ice cream!
Your pastry ingredients.
Whisk together your flour, sugar, and salt.
Add in your cubed butter.
Using your hands or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form.
Whisk in the water, then form the dough into 2 balls, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill for at least an hour in the fridge.
When your dough is almost ready, prepare your filling.
Bring your brown sugar and water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until all of the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the butter, vanilla, and whisky, then remove from heat.
Pour the sauce over your sliced peaches and plums.
Roll your dough out into a circle about ¼ inch thick.
Whisk together your egg and milk for the pastry wash.
Arrange your fruit slices in the middle of your dough, then fold the edges in and brush the sides of the dough with your egg mixture, and finish by sprinkling with sugar. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
Allow to cool and set on your baking sheet for a few minutes before serving.
And don’t forget a scoop of Haagan-Dazs Butter Pecan ice cream!
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) very cold butter, cubed
- 2½ tablespoons ice water
- 1 peach, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 plum, washed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or whisky
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- Raw or decorating sugar, for sprinkling
- 1 pint Häagen-Dazs® ice cream (preferably Butter Pecan)
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Using your hands or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until coarse crumbs form; I prefer to use my hands, but be sure to work quickly if you do, too, because you don’t want the heat from your hands to melt the butter too much. Add in the water and mix quickly with a fork until the dough can form a ball. Divide the dough into two balls, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour. I let mine chill for 90 minutes.
- When the dough is almost ready, preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Slice the peach and plum as thinly as possible, and toss with the lemon juice. In a small pot, bring the water and brown sugar to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the whisky, vanilla, butter, and cinnamon until melted together, then remove from heat. Pour this mixture over the peach and plum, then let them soak in the warm sauce for at least 5 minutes.
- Lightly flour a work surface, your hands, and your rolling pin, then roll out each ball of dough into a circle about ¼ inch thick. Place the fruit mixture in the center of each galette, then fold the sides in. Whisk together the egg and milk, then brush the crust with it and sprinkle with sugar. Place the galette on a lined and/or greased baking sheet, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sides of the galette are golden and firm. Allow to cool on the sheet for a few minutes before serving with a few generous scoops of Häagen-Dazs® Butter Pecan ice cream.