The Padre Blanco

First off, I want to say that I am very excited to announce that I am one of the finalists in the Knorr Four recipe contest! Thanks to my Weeknight Chicken & Mushroom Pho, I will be attending the BlogHer 2011 conference in San Diego! I am really excited, especially because I will be participating in a cook-off on Saturday, August 6th, along with the other seven finalists, to see who will be representing Knorr for the year. The other finalists are What We’re Eating, Secret Agent Josephine, A Little Glimpse, Sweet Basil, Reese Dixon, Southern Hospitality, and M Cubed. I can’t wait to meet everyone, and hopefully get to try their dishes after the cook-off, as everyone is clearly a fabulous chef! I’m definitely nervous about this cook-off, but I’m thankful for the opportunity, and hey, I’m going to California! I only wish Kramer could come with me, but it doesn’t look like he’s going to be able to. I guess I’ll have to soak up the San Diego sun without him this year (unless ticket prices suddenly drop).

So, in light of the good news, I present to you the Padre Blanco cocktail. I found this recipe on my favorite New York Magazine article of all time, from the Blue Ribbon Downing St. Bar. I have never actually been to this bar, but I plan to check it out ASAP, because this cocktail was crisp, clean, and absolutely refreshing. It’s kind of a new take on the classic margarita; you still have the lime juice, which I think is essential is any margarita, but they’ve added cucumber and mint, which definitely helps to cool you off on a brutal summer day. Be careful, though – you’re going to want to drink an entire pitcher of this delicious cocktail once you’ve had a taste! To be honest, I’m not usually a tequila drinker (we’ve all had bad experience with tequila, I’m sure), but this is in a league of its own, and if you usually avoid tequila, go ahead and give this recipe a try – you’ll fall in love all over again!

The Padre Blanco

The Padre Blanco
Juice your limes.

The Padre Blanco
Run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass, then dip the rim in salt (I used fleur de sel, but kosher salt will work just fine).

The Padre Blanco
Thinly slice your cucumbers and add them to the shaker.

The Padre Blanco
Muddle well.

The Padre Blanco
Add in the tequila, lime juice, and mint simple syrup, then fill with ice and shake for 30 seconds or so.

The Padre Blanco
You can see Kramer eagerly awaiting his cocktail in the background.

The Padre Blanco
Strain into a salted glass with 1 or 2 ice cubes.

The Padre Blanco
Garnish with a lime wheel and a sprig of mint.

The Padre Blanco
Serves: 2 cocktails

• 12 cucumber slices, muddled well
  • 5 ounces blanco tequila
  • 2 ounces fresh lime juice (about 4-5 limes)
  • ¾ ounce mint simple syrup (recipe follows - you can also just muddle the mint with the cucumber and then use regular simple syrup)
  • salt, for garnishing the glass
  • 2 wheels or wedges of lime, for garnish
  • 2 mint sprigs, for garnish
  1. First, you will want to make your mint simple syrup. In a medium sized pot, combine 2 cups of roughly chopped mint, 1 cup of granulated sugar, and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the sugar is completely dissolved. Strain the syrup through a mesh sieve, being sure to squeeze the mint so that all of the syrup is released, and allow to cool until at least room temperature before using (I put mine in the freezer so it would cool faster).
  2. Thinly slice your cucumber and muddle well in your shaker (you can also muddle the mint here, instead of using the mint simple syrup). Add in the tequila, lime juice, and mint (or regular) simple syrup. Fill the shaker with ice, seal, and shake well for about 30 seconds. Run a lime wedge around the rim of both of your glasses and dip in salt. Strain the cocktail into the two glasses, filled with 1 or 2 ice cubes, and garnish with a lime wheel and a sprig of mint.

1. Anthony says:

Congratulations on becoming a finalist! We, your loyal minions, will be loudly rooting for you!

And toasting your victory with a “Padre Blanco.” :D

2. Jessica says:

Congratulations!!! And this looks so delicious, can’t wait to make one myself.

@Jessica: Thank you! :)

@Michelle: Thank you very much! I’m going to be toasting all weekend! ;)

@Mindy: Aw, thank you!! I need all the help I can get!

3. Michelle says:

Congratulations! This looks like a yummy drink to toast your good news with. :)

4. Mindy says:

I’m one of those people with the bad tequila experiences. Even the smell can make me gag. Everything else in this drink sounds amazing though. You’re making me question my aversion. I’m pinning it, and if nothing else, I can make it for guests.

Congrats on the finals! I had emailed your Pho recipe to several friends.

@Blog is the New Black: Thank you!!

@Chris: I think you’re right about the drink! ;)

@Lauren: I couldn’t agree more!

@Ty: I want to go to a tequila restaurant – we need to get our asses out to Seattle! Soon, soon. We miss you bby!

@Dulcie: Thank you very much!

5. Congratulations! Don’t be nervous (well, easier said than done) – just have fun and do your best! (Ok, maybe having a drink beforehand might help too)

6. Congrats! This looks like the perfect drink to celebrate:-)

7. Ty says:

I had a similar drink (-the mint) at a Mexican food/tequila joint yesterd pleasantlyay and was pleasantly surprised at how well the cucumber mixed with the tequila.

I’m loving all the drink posts Syd!

8. Ooh, this looks like one tasty drink. The cucumber is a very interesting touch!

9. Ty says:

Wow that post looks like I was still drunk… damn phone. I think you got the idea.

10. Amanda says:

Huge congratulations! I have been dying to try out that pho recipe and have an even bigger reason now. We have been LOVING your summer cocktail series – you have been keeping us happily cocktailed all summer. Thank you!

11. amie says:

im making this drink right MEOW! waiting for my simple syrup to finish as we speak… so excited!

12. Jenn says:

Oh man, that’s awesome news! Good luck! I will cross several fingers and toes for you.

More cocktails… Drooling over here…

13. Jen says:

Congrats Sydney! I was born in San Diego/still live here so I hope you have an amazing time visiting! Good luck! All of us are rooting for you. :D

14. Miss says:

Congrats, that is so exciting! You will do great and it will be a ton of fun!

@Miss: Thank you so much! I can’t wait to share the experience with all of you!

@ACP: I agree! I love that article and refer to it constantly!

15. acp says:

thank u for the new york mag article! the photography is too beautiful for words. im in love. also will probably make this drink one day. thx!!

16. Sydney says:

@Ty: That’s how I like ya.

@Amanda: Thank you so much! I think summer is all about cocktails – gotta beat the heat somehow! ;)

@Amie: Glad to hear it!