Sesame Pork + A Special Event

Sesame pork, let me count the ways I adore you. This simple dish is great for an after-work meal. It can be thrown together in the morning or the night before, left to marinate all day, and cooked in less than 15 minutes. The pork is sliced very thinly, then marinated in shallots, garlic, fresh ginger, sesame oil, honey, and chili paste, then stir fried quickly with some zucchini, or whatever other vegetables you like, and served over rice. It’s easy to make and full of flavor: just what you need at the end of a tough day.

Now, if you know me, you know that I love living in New York City because of all of the amazing food available almost everywhere. The most recent trend has been food trucks, and it seems that each one is better than the next. I’m excited to announce that I get to participate with All-Clad‘s new food truck events, which are happening all over the city through September. They kicked things off last week with Chef Scott Conant of Scarpetta, and I will be attending next week on Thursday, September 15th, where All-Clad will have Chef Aaron Sanchez of Centrico cooking up some delicious food and showing off all of the All-Clad equipment! There’s nothing better than some free food during a hectic day, so be sure to check my site next week to see when and where you can meet Chef Sanchez and sample is wares. I’m even more excited to announce that I will be able to bring 4 readers with me, where they will get VIP access to the event, including a meet and greet with Aaron Sanchez, tour of the truck, and a gift from All-Clad. If you’d like to attend the event with me, just leave a comment here or Tweet at me here and tell me why you’d like to go! The event will be held in NYC, so you will need to live in the area to attend.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
The ingredients.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Mince your garlic, ginger, and shallots and combine them with the sesame seeds, sugar, salt, pepper, soy sauce, chili paste, honey, and sesame oil.

Sesame Pork + A Special EventSesame Pork + A Special Event
Slice your pork very thinly.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Combine the marinade and the pork in a sealable bag or the container and seal. Allow to marinate for a few hours, or up to overnight.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Chop your zucchini and set aside.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Heat your vegetable oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add in the pork and the marinade and cook for 10 minutes or so, until the pork is cooked through.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Add in the zucchini halfway through cooking the pork – it should be tender when finished cooking, as it only takes a short time.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Serve over rice and sprinkle with a few scallions.

Sesame Pork + A Special Event
Serves: 4-6

• 2 pounds of pork (I used tenderloin, but shoulder or butt would work well, too), sliced thinly
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 2-inch piece of ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon hot chili paste or Sriracha
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable or peanut oil, for cooking
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced and quartered
  • 1 scallion, sliced thinly, for garnish
  • rice, for serving
  1. Thinly slice your pork and set it aside. Mince the shallots, garlic, and ginger, then combine it with the sugar, honey, sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, chili paste, salt, and pepper. Combine the pork with the marinade in a sealable container or bag and allow to marinate for at least 2 hours, or as long as overnight.
  2. When the pork is ready, heat a tablespoon of oil in a hot pan over medium-high heat and add in the pork with its marinade. Add in the zucchini with it, then cook for 10 minutes or so, until the pork is cooked through. Serve over rice or with more vegetables and serve. This keeps well as leftovers and makes a great lunch or dinner the next day.

1. Judy Lim says:

I would LOVE to attend the All-Clad food truck tour!! I live in Jersey but commute to work to Manhattan M-F, so I am in the area and love NYC!! I hope you select me! :)
    -Judy

2. Shelly says:

Sydney, I stumbled across your site a few months ago and I’m so thrilled that I did! I always look forward to reading your recipes and getting ideas. Like yourself, I’m a self-taught cook… granted, my mother always cooked but it was – let’s say the 50’s staples – meatloaf, pot roast, side of mashed potatoes, canned vegetable. I love trying new things and seeing what I can concoct.. which is why I turn to you for ideas! Congrats, by the way, for winning the Knorr contest! I watched the clip you posted and you were fabulous!

3. Anthony says:

I’d love to attend the truck-tour, but it’s a bit of a long walk from LA. 😉

Gourmet food trucks have become the rage here, too (favorite name so far: “Shrimp Pimp”) , but food wagons in general have long been part of the LA scenery, going back to the original “tamale wagons” of the late 19th century: http://goo.gl/A6bWJ

Regarding the recipe — yum! 😀 Did you have to salt the zucchini first to draw out some of the water? I find I have to salt, let drain, and rinse before sauteing it, or it doesn’t come out right.

I didn’t do anything to the zucchini, actually, just threw it in there! There wasn’t too much liquid or sauce with the pork, though, so maybe that’s why I didn’t find the water to be an issue.

4. Amanda says:

Ahhh, I just moved to NYC and I would love to experience more of it with the food trucks! I could really get into this trend 😉

5. Aarthi says:

Yummy pork dish…I love the flavours that go around this…Job well done..and i couldn’t participate in that amazing event,since i live 1000s of miles away…(sniff sniff)

6. Dana says:

Yum! I’ve been collecting recipes that I can start in the morning, and make quickly for supper after work. Saving this one!

7. Ruth says:

This pork looks amazing! Yum!

8. Kim says:

First, cannot WAIT to try this recipe! My new husband loves when I cook anything stir fried – especially if it has sesame seeds! Second, here’s my plea: When I moved out on my own a few years ago my budget forced me to learn to cook on my own (Panera every night gets pricey, who would’ve thought?!) I had a few cook books by found myself lost in the words and often found myself saying, “well THAT doesn’t look right…” One day I was searching online for a pumpkin recipe and found your spiced pumpkin bread–I’ve been hooked ever since. Your blog has really created a passion for cooking in my life! I have passed you along to many friends saying, “and there are pictures so you know if you messed it up or not!!” So thank you for that, and my friends (esp. the husbands) say thank you for the “TATOES!” (the garlic cheese red potato app. Now served at every college group reunion!).

9. […] onto bigger and better things. If you remember, I posted last week about how I was going to be involved in All-Clad’s New York City food truck events. I told […]