The Perfect Scrambled Eggs

Have you figured out how much I love breakfast yet? If not, welcome to The Crepes of Wrath, where I can’t help but do a new breakfast recipe almost all the time. I’m sorry! Kramer and I are just breakfast fiends. Making breakfast together on Sunday mornings in our kitchen is my favorite part about the weekend, so I always look forward to it. That’s why I jumped at the chance to pair up with TasteSpotting and Safest Choice Eggs to do an egg dish that really showcases the beauty of the typical egg. The difference between most eggs and the Safest Choice brand is that they pasteurize their eggs, so that they are completely salmonella free. That means that they are the safest eggs that you can buy for young children, and especially for those who may be pregnant or nursing. Seeing as how I am none of those things, I decided to go a different route and use the actual eggshell to present my dish, as there is no risk of contracting salmonella. I’ve seen fancy magazines and cooking shows use this technique, so I bought an egg cutter a long time ago, but of course, I never got around to using it, as is what tends to happen with most impulse buys, right? Anyway, when Sarah from TasteSpotting offered me the opportunity to make a beautiful egg dish, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

There are a few elements involved in making the Perfect Scrambled Eggs. First and foremost, use a pot, not a pan. The steam the develops as the eggs cook help to keep them soft, so you want to trap as much of it as possible in the pot, and stir the eggs often as they cook to keep them from becoming hard. The other key is to add something creamy, but not butter, because butter can make your eggs greasy. I like, like Randy Marsh, prefer to use crème fraîche, because it’s rich and slightly tangy, so it perfectly balances my scrambled eggs. Those are the two big secrets to making scrambled eggs – once you’ve got those, you just need to cook them over medium heat and stir them often, so that they don’t burn, and ta-da! You’ve got yourself a plate of the most perfect, fluffy, delicious scrambled eggs you’ve ever tasted.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
First and foremost, check out this cool egg cutter that I got! I bought it for $6 at a kitchen supply store near Kramer’s office, but you can get them almost anywhere.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Crack all of your eggs (I usually do 2-3 eggs per person).

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Whisk them together well.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Grease your medium sized pot with a bit of butter, then add in your eggs.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Continue to stir with a rubber spatula over medium heat, cooking slowly.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Add in about 2 teaspoons of crème fraîche and fold it in, and continue to cook over medium heat until the eggs are the consistency that you prefer. I love a soft scrambled egg, so mine are ready in this photo.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Top with some sliced chives and serve alongside some good toast and orange juice.

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs

The Perfect Scrambled Eggs
Serves: 2

• 5 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
  • 1 tablespoon crème fraîche, heavy cream, or sour cream
  • sliced chives, for garnish
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  1. First of all, I used a cutter like this one to cut the tops off of my eggs to remove them from the shell - this way, I was able to wash the shell with warm water and soap and use it as a cute serving vessel. This is obviously an optional step, but it was a great way to showcase how to use pasteurized eggs from Safest Choice and I think that it makes for an impressive plate. If you use this method, just be sure to wash out the inside of the egg shells to remove any leftover raw egg.
  2. Whisk together your eggs in a small bowl until well combined. Heat a medium sized pot over medium heat, and melt a teaspoon of butter in the pan to grease it. Add in your eggs and allow to cook a bit, then, using a rubber spatula, stir the eggs every so often to move them around and prevent them from burning to the bottom of the pot. Continue to stir every so often for 5-8 minutes, until the eggs start to firm up.
  3. As soon as the eggs show their first sign of firmness, add in your 1 tablespoon of crème fraîche. Fold it in, and continue to stir gently, until your eggs have reached your preferred consistency. I like mine to be quite soft, so I usually take my eggs off the heat after I've folded in the crème fraîche.
  4. To get the eggs back into the cleaned eggshell (again, this is completely optional), I used a small spoon and a pair of chopsticks. Sprinkle with some sliced chives, salt, and pepper, and serve.

1. joe d says:

love it – will try this weekend :)

2. Jeff Rechten says:

Thanks for this post. I found it quite interesting.

One thing that stuck out for me is the pan vs pot. How does the pot help cook with more steam if covering is limited since you should be stirring frequently?

Thanks

It’s a small difference, but I promise you will notice it! The pan is flat, so the steam leaves immediately, while the pot collects it ever so slightly and allows more moisture to penetrate the eggs.

3. Emily D. says:

I had decided about ten minutes before I saw this post to make myself scrambled eggs for breakfast (okay, okay brunch). I’m really excited to try out the pot method. That was maybe one of the nerdiest sentences I’ve ever typed.

4. Anthony says:

I believe this is the first time I’ve seen artistic-looking scrambled eggs. :) And I’d never considered using creme fraiche — that’s an intriguing idea!

Good thing I like scrambled eggs; I never can fold the omelet right. ;)

5. Rhonda says:

What a cute idea to remove the top of the egg!

6. yoonie says:

saw this post in my google reader and just wanted to say the pictures are so beautiful! I LOVE EGGS

7. Dana says:

I love the presentation in the eggshells! I was wondering how you got them cut so perfectly flat, but it seems this egg cutter you purchased does the trick! Soft boiled eggs with toast soldiers for dipping is one of my favorite breakfasts, but this would be a great way to mix things up a bit!

8. It’s been so long since I’ve made legit scrambled eggs! I’ve been on a browned omelet kick for months… but my mom would totally approve of these. She is a fluffy scrambled egg fiend! That is one badass egg cutter — one that I am trying to refrain from buying, knowing that it is definitely going to end up crammed in a drawer, forgotten, until I find a use for it three years from now.

And HECK YES for vegan doughnut shops! That’s so awesome, definitely let me know when it’s open so we can do some major taste testing! :)

9. Ivana says:

Oh yay I’ve been making my eggs with a dairy element for years! I think you can really notice the difference, especially if, like me, you prefer soft, ‘just formed’ eggs. Usually I use no-fat milk though, as I feel so guilty using cream. Do you think there would be a huge difference?

10. My eggs always turn out watery or burnt, and sometimes both! I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks for posting this!!!

11. sarah says:

i LOVE how bright this post is… thank you :)

12. Simone Anne says:

Hello! Looks delicious! I also participated in the Safest Choice blogging event/activity, so I was excited to see what other bloggers came up with. Such cute presentation and I’m hungry just looking at your photos! :D xo

13. hayley ryczek says:

More DEAD FOOD. Why on earth would anyone want Pasteurized Eggs? That is disgusting. When chickens are raised correctly there is no risk of salmonella. Pasteurizing food is just an excuse to be a lazy and dirty farmer.. I have a home-flock of chickens for eggs and raise chickens and turkeys for meat in the warmer months … I eat raw my eggs regularly! Salmonella bacteria is introduced into chicken housing through rodents and filthy conditions!

Thank you for your concern, Hayley. I think it’s important that people have all the options that they want available to them – you definitely don’t need to eat these eggs if you don’t want to! However, if you want to err on the side of caution, then Safest Choice Eggs are a great option. I, too, eat raw eggs often in dressings and sauces, but if you can be guaranteed that there is no risk of salmonella or other food borne illnesses, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, or have small children, then why not?

14. Mika says:

They look pretty, but were they hard to eat out of the shells? I’d imagine you’d get lots of little shell fragments everywhere from trying to dig the egg out.

Thanks! I served them with a long, thin spoon (like something you’d stir a cocktail with) – you can definitely just put them on a plate, though, if you like.

15. Julie says:

Oh, they look so lovely! Makes me wanna buy an egg cutter too :)

16. Wow!

This looks great.

It reminded me of something I made that was also stuffed in egg shells..

Check it out if you get a moment :)

17. Scrambled eggs are pretty much all I cold make, since everything I make turns out scrambled eventually. But your post bring scrambled eggs to a much higher level, really awesome! Fantastic photos!

18. Jennifer Lennox says:

We (Randy cooked) tried your method this past weekend and we are complete converts. We didn’t have creme fresh so substituted half fat Philadelphia creme cheese and it worked a treat. Thanks.

19. baobabs says:

oh my yum! i saw a post like this last week, but it wasn’t scrambled eggs! this is such a great idea. I’m a monster for cheese, so might add some cheese to the scrambled mix! thanks for sharing, such beautiful presentation and stunning photos!

20. Ama says:

I used this method to make scrambled eggs for my boyfriend and I. I used sour cream (in Hilo, there is simply no creme fraiche) and the eggs were amazing. They were so fluffy and light, just great and tasty!
    P.S. Shout out to crazy Randy Marsh!

21. [...] I loved the meaty, earthy mushrooms paired with simple black beans, sauteed garlic, and creamy scrambled eggs. This is the perfect light breakfast (that is, of course, you consume more than your fair share of [...]