Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles

Everyone has a favorite holiday cookie – some people like pinwheels, or maybe jam thumbprints, or sugar cookies, but as for me, I love chocolate crinkles. There is something supremely comforting about each bite; the soft, pillowy cookie filled with rich, fudgey chocolate and rolled simply in powdered sugar. They look so pretty and festive, and they couldn’t be easier to make, so they will forever remain my favorite cookie for this time of year. The only problem, though, if I were to find a problem with these cookies, is that they are usually so tiny. I like a big cookie, preferably the size of my whole hand. Maybe that’s not the healthiest way to bake cookies, but it’s definitely my way, so I wanted to make the classic chocolate crinkle a bit bigger and bolder for 2011. Bigger is better, especially when it comes to crinkles. These are absolutely perfect for dunking in a cold, tall glass of milk, or for nibbling with a cup of cocoa or coffee. They are almost brownie-like, and there’s nothing wrong with that! I know that everyone is probably already in holiday cookie baking mode, so be sure to add these beauties to your list.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Whisk together your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Beat together your sugar and vegetable oil, until it is the consistency of wet sand.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Beat in your eggs, one at a time, then your flour mixture.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
When you’re ready to bake, place your powdered sugar in a bowl and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Scoop out balls of dough and roll in the powdered sugar, then place on your baking sheets lined with parchment.

Jumbo Chocolate CrinklesJumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Bake for 12-14 minutes, until firm. Allow to cool before moving.

Jumbo Chocolate CrinklesJumbo Chocolate CrinklesJumbo Chocolate Crinkles

Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles
Serves: 36

• 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  1. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat together the sugar and vegetable oil, until the mixture resembles wet sand, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Gradually mix the flour mixture in, until just moistened. Cover the dough tightly with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or as long as overnight - this is necessary, as the dough is very wet and needs a while to thicken and firm up.
  2. When you are ready to bake your cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheets with parchment paper, or generously flour and/or butter your baking sheets (but I really do recommend parchment paper). Roll the cookies into 2 tablespoon sized balls, using either an ice cream scoop or greased hands, then roll them well in the 1 cup of powdered sugar. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on baking sheets and do not press down on them.
  3. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until firm but still a bit cakey looking. Allow them to cool completely before moving, storing, and/or serving. These will keep well in an airtight container for up to 4 days, or they freeze well for up to 3 months.

1. Jane M says:

I bake these cookies OFTEN and already have them on my list to do a batch soon for when we go to XMAS parties!

2. Mercedes says:

These look chewy and delicious!

3. These are one of my fav Christmas cookies. I made them for the first time last year and I ahve seen them popping up everywhere today! YUM!

4. Corrie says:

ohhh I love crinkle cookies!!! I think I’ll make these after finals are over!

5. Sam says:

These kind of cookies have always been my favorite.
    My mom has a recipe that uses a box of Duncan Hine’s Devil’s Food cake mix as a base. They come out REALLY chocolate-y and full of flavor – an element that I often find lacking in Chocolate Crinkle cookies. How is the flavor on these?
    Also, in my recipe, the icing sugar rarely stays so white and perfect – it crackles beautifully but seems to melt in the oven no matter how much or how little I put on!

These are definitely chocolate-y and cakey. I’ve made cookies with cake mix before and these are reminiscent of that texture/flavor. The reason that the icing sugar may not stay on as well is possibly because of the cake mix – it may be just a bit too moist!

6. Angela says:

Sydney, are you using a melon-baller there? Or an ice cream scoop? Lol! I have yet to purchase something like that but these look like the ideal cookie for such a purchase. I heard there were different sizes…any thoughts on that?

7. Benita says:

I bet my family and friends would love a few in their gift packages. Will they mail and keep well?

I think that they would mail beautifully – they can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 days, so that’s plenty of time to mail.

8. I love chocolate crinkle cookies! These look fantastic.

9. Elizabeth says:

I have a recipe similar to this! These are great!

10. Rhonda says:

If you are going to have a cookie, make it count! Those look great.

11. Geri says:

Yummy – I’m definitely going to be making these!

12. Aha! I knew these cookies existed in a non commercially packaged form.
    My sister has been baking these for me ever since she first picked up the mix at BJ’s last year. I love them. But I’ve always wanted to make them from scratch. I feel like cookies are so much more satisfying and enjoyable when they’ve been made from scratch. Thanks for sharing this recipe. :)

13. aarthi says:

They look super delicious…I love it with a cup of milk like you do..Thanks sydney..

14. Sydney! These looks amazing! My family absolutely loves a version of them with instant coffee in the mix, but we’re pretty much coffee addicts, so that might explain a few things! =)

15. Christine says:

Hey Sydney, your Jumbo Crinkle is a Recipe Guessing Game on Knapkins. Think your friends can win? http://knapkins.com/guess_games/946?source=blog

16. sue gallagher says:

I checked the pantry and had everything to make these ,little did I know i would soon be eating a cookie?no a cake? no a brownie no? The Dream dessert with a glass of cold milk. Many thanks and please keep up the great work.

17. Alissa says:

I just made these and they came out wonderfully! I always get excited when what I bake ends up looking like your pictures :) This recipe is incredibly tasty and easy – thank you!!

18. Amanda says:

The only thing that could make crinkle cookies even more delicious is making them jumbo so I tip my hat to you! Amazing. PS. cool plaid tablecloth.

Amanda
    The Hot Plate

19. […] Jumbo Chocolate Crinkles from Crepes of Wrath […]

20. mette says:

Thanks for the recipe — made the batter last night, baked up a few this afternoon, and they are absolutely delicious! Made them smaller (baked for 10 mins), used #70 scoop, since I need six dozen for my neighborhood cookie exchange this week! Happy to have a cookie recipe that calls for oil and not multiple sticks of butter!! (Only printed the written portion of your recipe, not the fotos, and fyi, it never says to combine sugar/egg mixture with dry ingredients — oops.)

Thanks for the head’s up! Sometimes I write these things so fast and miss a thing or two – I really do appreciate it.

• mette says:

Not to be boring, but these cookies are freaking awesome!! They were a huge hit at the neighborhood cookie exchange, both for taste and their “dramatic” powdered sugar covering, and my son-in-law (he’s usually a one-track guy: brownies brownies brownies) thinks they’re the bomb so this recipe is a permanent addition to the family cookie roster. Thanks so much for sharing — Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!

21. Tricia says:

These turned out amazing!! And they are beautiful! BTW, I ran out of parchment paper and had to make one pan without it…and they did not end up with the pretty cracks. Maybe the readers who mentioned not getting cracks should try again with parchment paper?

22. Simi says:

These look awesome and yummy! Anything that can be described as a cake/cookie/brownie is a winner to me! Do you think that I could use canola oil instead of vegetable oil, though??

23. RHODA HERZOG says:

I baked these lovely cookies today for a reception and will serve some New Years Eve, when friends drop by. They are beautiful, easy, and your recipe made about 4 dozen.
    Sydney, we are related by marriage and met briefly at Mackenzie’s Bat Mitsvah Marilyn K. knew I would enjoy your website, and I do. Your index is a great improvement and I enjoy trying out your recipes.Happy New Year to you and Kramer.

Hi Rhoda! You are always so sweet when you comment – thanks for stopping by! Marilyn is one of my biggest supporters and is always sending people over here – I really appreciate it! :) I hope that you are doing well. Happy New Year to you, too!

24. maria elena says:

MARIA OCTOBER 14 2013 LA PAZ BOLIVIA SOUTH AMERICA THANKS FOR THIS AWSOME RECIPE. ..I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I ADD ONE TEASPOON OF BAKING SODA WOULD THEY TURN OUT DARKER? SINCE IN MY COUNTRY WE DONT HAVE THE EXTRA DARK COCOA. WE DO HAVE A WONDERFUL ORGANIC ONE THOUGH. I HOPE YOU ANSWER MY QUESTIONS. I WISH YOU WELL BYE..

25. Sol says:

Why the powdered sugar on my crinkles are wet?…i made these things before and they’re perfect…wondring why the sugar coating comes out of the oven wet this time….need ur help pls

Hi Sol – hm, I’m not sure? Perhaps there was just too much powdered sugar, or maybe your kitchen is very warm and humid if you’ve been baking all day?

• Sol says:

Hello Sydney and thank you for replying. The crinkles were the first that i baked that day and even if i put too much sugar, it shouldnt matter coz they’re suppose to crack and the sugar should br white