Bacon and Egg Cups

Happy 2012, everybody! Kramer and I had a fantastic weekend running around town and lounging around our apartment. On Friday, we kicked things off with a trip to Ikea for some bedside tables, new lighting fixtures for our kitchen, and a few other things. It’s always a bit of a hassle getting to Ikea, because it’s all the way out in Red Hook, but we got out of there as fast as we could, grabbed some pizza, and headed back to Williamsburg to meet up with our friends Joel and Janise for some drinks and shuffleboard at Burnside. On Saturday, we did a little cooking (i.e. these Bacon and Eggs Cups, plus more to come), ran a few errands, and then headed out to a New Year’s Eve party at The Brooklyn Lyceum. It was a lot of fun, and I posted some pictures from the photobooth after the cut. After the party, we were lucky enough to grab a cab (I am not a fan of the drunk pukefest that the subways usually are on NYE) and a much needed club sandwich before crashing for the night. On Sunday, Kramer worked on building our new bedside tables while I putzed around in the kitchen, after which I persuaded him to see Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy starring Gary Oldman. I thought it was excellent, but Kramer was a bit lukewarm on it. Monday was my favorite day out of our eventful weekend, as it was our two year wedding anniversary. That means not only have we been married two years, but we’ve been in New York for just about as long. It seems like we’ve always been out here – we’ve loved every minute so far and I look forward to a long, happy life out here on the East coast. We celebrated with lobster, crab, and oysters at our favorite cocktail bar, Maison Premiere. What a great way to ring in the New Year. I hope that everyone else had as lovely a weekend as I did.

I made this big breakfast on Saturday morning for an early anniversary celebration. The potatoes were equally delicious, and I will share the recipe for them later, but the thing that I was most proud of were these little bacon cups. I was kind of worried that they wouldn’t set up, but they did, and you just can’t beat that presentation, can you? The eggs were perfectly baked inside the best kind of edible serving vessel: bacon. Kramer and I happily dipped our potatoes in the egg baskets, then devoured the rest, while enjoying the warmer than usual weather with our windows open and some favorite sitcom reruns on the TV. I think it was a great way to greet 2012.

Bacon and Egg Cups
Here we are on New Year’s Eve at The Brooklyn Lyceum.

Bacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg CupsBacon and Egg Cups
Now, let’ s get on with breakfast. This is pretty much all you’ll need.

Bacon and Egg Cups
Cut each strip of bacon in half and lay them across the bottom and then around the sides. Bake at 375 degrees F for 5-8 minutes, just to crisp it up a bit.

Bacon and Egg Cups
Pull the bacon cups from the oven and crack your egg into each one. There will be some run off, so you can either try to get some of the egg white out, or just let it cook over, like I did, and cut off the burned bits.

Bacon and Egg Cups
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or so, until cooked through.

Bacon and Egg Cups
Serve with some potatoes, toast, or whatever else you like.

Bacon and Egg Cups

Bacon and Egg Cups
Author:
Serves: 2

• 4 slices of thick-cut bacon (thinner, fattier pieces of bacon won't crisp up as well)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
  • freshly cracked black pepper (optional)
  • buttered toast or potatoes, for serving
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and spray your muffin cups with non-stick spray. Cut your pieces of bacon in half, then place two criss-crossed lengthwise across each muffin cup, then place the other two along the sides of the cup, so that they will cook together and form a vessel for your egg. Place these in the oven and cook for 5-8 minutes, just to get them cooking.
  2. After the bacon has cooked for 5-8 minutes, crack an egg into each cup. The egg will run over a bit, so either crack the egg into a bowl, remove some of the white, and place that in the cup, or just let the run off cook and remove it after you're finished. Either way works well. Reduce the oven's heat to 350 degrees F and cook for 20 minutes or so, until cooked through. Allow to sit for a minute or two after removing from the oven, then use a butter knife or something similar to wiggle the cups out of the tin. Place on a plate and serve alongside some toast or potatoes for dipping.

ย

1. […] On Modern Destiny. Bacon and Egg Cups The Crepes of Wrath Tue, January 3, 2012 2:07 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this story Loading … Share (function(){var […]

2. […] On Modern Destiny. Bacon and Egg Cups The Crepes of Wrath Tue, January 3, 2012 2:07 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this story Loading … Share (function(){var […]

3. Anthony says:

Happy Anniversary!

Those bacon cups are a clever idea, and what a nice way to enjoy bacon and eggs. :)

I think I’m with Kramer on “Tinker, Tailor.” The book was great and so was the old Alec Guinness multi-part adaptation, but I think it’s too complex a story with too many characters to render easily to a 2hr film.

This was my first introduction to the Tinker, Tailor world, but I can definitely see where they probably left a good deal of information out. Love me some Gary Oldman, though!

4. aarthi says:

simple yet awesome recipe…Happy Anniversary sydney..you both look great

5. Such cute photos!!

I need to make these for my husband.

6. Karen says:

Happy Anniversary! New York sounds like the place to be on New Years Eve. Thanks for the photos – it’s always nice to see the people behind the blog, and you look like a neat couple! I’m looking forward to all you have in store for us in 2012.

Aw, thanks, Karen! I’m going to make an effort to post more on the site, because I like to see the people behind the blog, too. :) Happy New Year!

7. Deanna B says:

In a happy twist of fate I just became the owner of 2 pounds of homemade bacon. Its fancy bacon and eggs. So cute! (Both you and bacon/egg cups).

8. Rhonda says:

Your new years pics are adorable and so are those little bacon cups :)

9. Ashley says:

A) Happy Anniversary! Although I must say being married two years is NOTHING compared to getting a cab on NYE in NYC. Impressive. Who’d you have to knock to the ground for that one? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    B) Eggs in a Bacon Basket. OMFG. My husband is going to die when I make this for him. I’m big into eating real food these days… including bacon, real butter, and eggs from our four hens in the backyard, so this is going to go over really really well. :-) Thanks for the recipe!!

Thank you! I was most impressed with the cab, too – just as we were about to give up and begrudgingly walk to the subway, one appeared – a miracle, indeed.

10. Praerna says:

Hey this is such a great idea! There’s nothing that my husband likes more than eggs and bacon, together or apart! This is totally on Sunday’s breakfast menu!

11. Daniela says:

This recipe looks so delicious. I tried to make it but my bacon cup collapsed before I could put the egg, I need to to try again.

Hm – maybe you can just prop it up? Mine was a bit wobbly when it came out of the oven initially, but you just have to kind of force the egg in there – as it cooks, it will straighten the bacon out. I hope that helps!

12. Dana says:

Such a good breakfast! I find it really helpful to use a silicone muffin pan, because my bacon and egg cups always seem to get hopelessly stuck in the metal pan.

13. William says:

These look brilliant!

14. beti says:

happy anniversary!! the wrapped eggs look fantastic, lovely photos

15. Nicole says:

Happy Anniversary and new year. :)

Just tried the bacon-egg-cup-goodness. OMG amazing! I only have thin-cut bacon (refuse to get out after coming home from work) so I made due. A tad on the smooshy side, but I’m too hungry to mind. Very very tasty. Thank you so much. :)

16. Love bacon, love eggs, love that you’ve made pairing the two so simple.

17. […] So when tasked with preparing an awesome breakfast on Saturday morning I turned to our favorite: bacon and eggs. ย This time I decided to switch things up using this really easy and really tasty recipe from the Crepes of Wrath. […]

18. Jena says:

These work really well with proscuitto too. :) I made these for breakfast this morning and they were delicious.

19. Gabrielle says:

Made these today – they were so tasty! I added a little bit of curry & paprika to the eggs and covered them with some cheese. I couldn’t believe how much baking them altered the taste. The bacon really adds something to the flavor of the eggs. Plus they’re really cute ;).

20. […] post is obviously a continuation of my previous post, featuring my Bacon and Egg Cups. I served this perfect little crispy breakfast potatoes alongside them, and let me tell you, what a […]

21. gigi says:

love this recipe and the picture is super cute!!! is there a way to make them so that the egg is fully cooked?? can i whip the egg first then pour it in??

22. […] This bacon madness is still from the awesome Crepes of Wrath. […]