Perfect Breakfast Potatoes

This post is obviously a continuation of my previous post, featuring my Bacon and Egg Cups. I served this perfect little crispy breakfast potatoes alongside them, and let me tell you, what a breakfast it was. I loved dipping these potatoes in my baked eggs, but they were absolutely delicious on their own. The secret? Bacon fat! Believe me. Any time that you cook bacon, be sure to save the drippings, let them cool, then store them in an airtight container in your fridge to use in place of butter in almost any savory recipe. It really yields fabulous results and a lovely bacon-y smell as whatever you’re making cooks. You could definitely taste something wonderful in these breakfast potatoes, and watching them fry and crisp up in the bacon fat is nothing short of delightful. Having a good cast iron skillet doesn’t hurt, either, as it gives a nice, golden crust to the potatoes, but of course, it’s not completely necessary. All you need is butter, salt, pepper, and potatoes – these are just kicked up a bit with savory shallots, a pop of jalapeno pepper, and, of course, bacon fat. Kramer and I continued to snack on the (yes, cold) leftovers of these potatoes throughout the rest of the day: they really were that good. The temperatures have been unbearably cold as of late here in the city, which means it’s time for hearty breakfasts like these to keep you going throughout the cold winter day.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
I like to leave my potato skins on, so if you do, too, be sure to scrub your potatoes really well.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
Then dice and boil them for 5 minutes, drain, and rinse with ice cold water to stop them from cooking.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
Mince your shallot and jalapeno peppers.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
This is the best part of the breakfast potatoes: glorious, glorious bacon fat.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
Melt your bacon fat, along with a little butter, in your skillet over medium heat, then add in your jalapenos and shallots and cook for 5 minutes.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
Add in your potatoes, turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook for 8-10 minutes. Do not touch them at all during this time.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
You can, however, add some salt and pepper.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
After 8-10 minutes, flip them as best you can and cook them on their other sides for another 10 minutes or so, until crispy and golden all over. Add in your garlic at the last minute and saute until fragrant.

Perfect Breakfast Potatoes
Serve piping hot alongside your favorite breakfast. I put mine in the oven at 350 degrees F to keep warm while I made my bacon and egg cups.

Author:
Serves: 4

• 5 large potatoes or 10 small potatoes, scrubbed well and diced
  • 2-3 tablespoons bacon fat (or unsalted butter)
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (plus more for garnish)
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • thinly sliced chives, scallions, or parsley, for garnish (optional)
  1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Wash your potatoes well, then dice them into bite-sized pieces. Add the potatoes to your boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Rinse under ice cold water until the potatoes are no longer hot, then side aside.
  2. Mince your shallot and jalapeno peppers, then heat your bacon fat or butter over medium heat in a large skillet (preferably cast iron). Add your shallot and jalapenos to the pan, and cook for 5 minutes. Add your diced potatoes to the pan, spreading them out in an even a layer as you can, and let them cook at medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. Do not touch them or move them during this time - you want them to get extra crispy and golden. Sprinkle your salt and pepper over the top of the potatoes while they cook.
  3. After 8-10 minutes, flip your potatoes in as even a layer as you can and cook the other sides for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crispy all over. Add your minced garlic to the potatoes when they are almost finished, and cook for 1 minute or so, until fragrant. Sprinkle with some extra salt, pepper, and freshly sliced chives, scallions, or parsley for garnish and serve.

1. […] Destiny. Perfect Breakfast Potatoes The Crepes of Wrath Thu, January 5, 2012 1:30 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this story Loading … Share (function(){var […]

2. Thanks for this! My husband has been trying to make hash browns forever and they always turn out inedible! I am going to give this recipe to him. I think one of the tricks is to not stir them too much like you say…let them sit and get that nice brown crust on them. These look delicious!

3. Shannon says:

What is the green mesh thing in the potato washing picture? Is that a potato scrubber? If so, I HAVE to have one!!

These look amazing, by the way. They will be gracing our breakfast table this weekend!!

It is, indeed, a potato scrubber! It’s so easy to clean potatoes with it – it was my dad’s idea to get one (dads are always so practical).

4. B# says:

Nothing beats fried potatoes! These looks great.

5. Foie Grateful says:

Where can us devoted followers acquire such a rad potato scrubber?

6. Anthony says:

Oh, gad, these look good. Now I’m starving for a second breakfast. Must be part Hobbit… 😉

7. Liz says:

Yum! I love breakfast potatoes in any shape or form..and I just got that cast iron skillet you linked to for Christmas, so I’m excited to bacon grease that puppy up and give these a try!

8. Deanna B says:

Bacon fat makes everything better. Its the only thing we cook eggs in, and it makes for a mean sauteed brussels sprout.

9. Ashley says:

OMG, YUM. I think that having a cast iron skillet is absolutely KEY… It’s one of my favorite things to cook in, besides my Le Creuset Dutch Oven :-)

10. Katie says:

Man those really do look perfect! But I’m not sure I could bring myself to keep bacon grease in the fridge all the time… too tempting.

11. Rhonda says:

Your cast iron pan is awesome. My husband would love these potatoes.

12. […] Finally, food: After all those annoying or depressing articles, doesn’t some comfort food sound good? And what’s a better side dish for breakfast than potatoes? You’ll love these “Perfect Breakfast Potatoes,” from Crepes of Wrath. […]

13. […] Finally, food: After all those annoying or depressing articles, doesn’t some comfort food sound good? And what’s a better side dish for breakfast than potatoes? You’ll love these “Perfect Breakfast Potatoes,” from Crepes of Wrath. […]

14. […] Finally, food: After all those annoying or depressing articles, doesn’t some comfort food sound good? And what’s a better side dish for breakfast than potatoes? You’ll love these “Perfect Breakfast Potatoes,” from Crepes of Wrath. […]

15. Erin says:

For great hashbrowns I’ve always used baked potatoes. The nights that I make baked potatoes I’ll throw in a few extra and keep them in the fridge until I make hashbrowns. They turn out great! I’ve never tried boiling them though.

16. Lindsay says:

Made these yesterday morning along with your bacon and egg cups – they were delicious! I used a dark non-stick pan as we don’t have a cast iron one and they still crisped up nicely. Leftovers this morning… mmm :)

17. Deanna B says:

I made these for breakfast on Sunday and they were soooo good. They were gone in a heart beat. The only thing I changed was I microwaved the potatoes for 3 minutes instead of boiling them.

18. Will says:

Bacon fat with potatoes is good but doing this with duck fat is even better. Harder to get but some stores sell frozen confit duck for cheap and you get alot of exess fat from that.

19. If I’m making these for a vegetarian can I skip the bacon grease and just use butter, or do they need another type of fat in there? I’m tempted to sneak in the bacon grease but I don’t want to risk making my beloved sick! Recipe looks great!

20. Sara says:

I’m in the middle of making these now – on my second attempt, actually. The first time, the shallot and jalapeno got burnt to a crisp while the potatoes were cooking, causing all kinds of smoke and awful burny smell. Did I do something wrong? Putting them in for 5 minutes plus another 16-20 on Med-High seems like it is always going to burn such small things.

This time around I am just omitting them. :(

21. V. says:

Second time making ’em! Rather, fourth actually. I have to split each cooking attempt into two parts all the time, as half of my family is vegetarian (and they also don’t eat shallots and garlic). The non-vegetarian option tastes better ha ha, I am eating this now (for dinner though) as I type this!

Thanks for the recipe! Really tasty!

22. American Health Journal is interested in content partnerships with blog owners in the medical genre. AHJ is a health care web site containing over three thousand of high quality medical videos. We are in need of bloggers to contribute guest blogs to our brand. Get in touch with us at our contact form on our site.

23. DW says:

Was delicious, but the shallots and jalapeños burned. I would watch it closely next time and not run the heat to high

24. V. says:

Same! The shallots got burnt! But I’m assuming I slice them up too much and they cook really fast with the amount of heat I’m using.

I’m eating the burnt shallots with ’em as I speak, but oh well the fat makes it all so good and tasty, so a little bit of bitterness and errr carbon is fine…