Mexican Rice

Kramer and I had a pretty relaxing weekend. We had some friends over, went to dinner at our new favorite Italian restaurant in Brooklyn, PT, and had a few drinks. For the most part, though, we stayed in. Kramer put together some of the new bedside tables that we got at Ikea last weekend, and I did a bunch of cooking. I also got a chance to play around in Lightroom, which is a program that I should already know how to use, but, of course, don’t. Kramer and I took at class at 3rd Ward last Tuesday so that we could both learn how to use it, and it’s been so much easier to work on my photos now that I am comfortable using it. I am the kind of person who needs hands-on instruction, so taking a class was extremely helpful. Maybe I will finally get around to taking a photography class there soon – who knows.

This is the most simple, delicious Mexican rice that I have had in a long, long time. It’s not too spicy, but it’s still bold, flavorful, and bright. You don’t need any special ingredients to make Mexican rice at home, so it’s worth it to try it out for yourself. All you have to do is puree tomatoes and shallots, saute your rice with some garlic and jalapeño peppers, and cook the rice in a large pot in the oven until tender. Kramer and I had a hard time not eating this rice while we stood in the kitchen getting the rest of dinner ready, and you probably will, too. We ate this with some roasted pork, which I will post the recipe for soon, but the rice is great with eggs, in tacos, or as a side to any of your favorite entrees. Instead of your usual white or fried rice, try out some fresh Mexican rice tonight!

Mexican Rice
We played some Apples to Apples this weekend.

Mexican Rice
Kramer didn’t win, but he was a good sport (I won, of course).

Core your tomatoes.

Quarter your shallots.

Puree them until smooth.

Mexican Rice
Rinse and dry your rice.

Mexican Rice
Toast your rice in a large pot or pan until golden.

Mexican Rice
Mince your garlic and jalapeño peppers.

Mexican Rice
Stir in the garlic and peppers until fragrant, about 5 minutes.

Mexican Rice
Add in the pureed tomatoes and shallots, chicken stock, tomato paste, and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, and place in a 325 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.

Mexican Rice
After 15 minutes, take the rice out, give it a stir, and place it back in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until tender and cooked through.

Mexican Rice
Serve alongside your favorite meal and enjoy.

5.0 from 3 reviews
Author:
Serves: 4-6

• 2 large tomatoes, cored and roughly chopped
  • 2 large shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 2 cups long grain rice (such as basmati), rinsed and drained
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2-3 large jalapeño peppers, washed and minced
  • 2¼ cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • cilantro, for garnish
  1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Core and quarter your tomatoes, roughly chop your shallots, and add them to your food processor. Process your tomatoes and shallots until pureed and smooth, about 30 seconds. Set aside.
  2. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, add your ¼ cup of olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Rinse your rice in a mesh sieve with cold water until the water runs clear, then shake out as much excess water as possible. Add the rice to the pot and cook, stirring often, until the rice is golden and lightly toasted. Add in the minced garlic and jalapeño peppers, and stir for 5 minutes or so, until fragrant. Add in the pureed tomatoes and shallots, stock, tomato paste, and salt. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
  3. When the mixture is boiling, stir to be sure nothing is burning to the bottom, then cover and place in the 325 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Remove the rice from the oven, stir, and return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes, until cooked and tender. Taste, adjust seasonings as needed, and serve with some fresh cilantro and lime wedges.

1. [...] today. On Modern Destiny. Mexican Rice The Crepes of Wrath Mon, January 9, 2012 1:41 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this story Loading … Share (function(){var [...]

2. [...] today. On Modern Destiny. Mexican Rice The Crepes of Wrath Mon, January 9, 2012 1:41 PM UTC The Crepes of Wrath Rate this story Loading … Share (function(){var [...]

3. Stacy says:

Perfect timing! We are going to have roasted pork shoulder later this week, and Dave was wondering what we’d have with it…now I know! Thanks so much!

4. Deanna B says:

I always have the hardest time cooking rice, but I think its because I stopped cooking it in the oven. I love all the flavors in your rice and it will be perfect the next time I make Mexican.

5. Dana says:

So tasty looking, I love the color!

(Apples to Apples is so much fun! Good job on winning!)

6. Shaina says:

Is the finished dish a dry rice or a wet rice? My sweetie has been trying to reproduce the dry rice we get at Mexican restaurants without success. Other recipes she’s tried had the step to toast rice, but yours is the first to put it in the oven. So if yours is dry, maybe this is the trick? Please let me know!

7. Anthony says:

Yum, I could eat Mexican three times a day. This looks great; I’ll have to try it this weekend if I can find some good tomatoes. (Store-bought ones tend to be… bleh.)

8. liz says:

We love flavored rice recipes like this one! We’ll have to give it a try soon. We’ve been sort of addicted to egg scrambles on top of a toasted tortilla lately – this will be the perfect side dish for it the next time we do eggs for dinner! Yum!

9. This sounds soooo delicious, can’t wait to try it, thanks.

10. Praerna says:

Looks amazing! I can’t tell you how similar to Indian Rice Pulao this type of preparation is. Many recipes I come across also use a dash of turmeric and cumin, making it even more so. I can have shameful quantities of this as my main meal – by itself!

11. Mike says:

Mmmm! Looks delicious! I love the oven idea! In cooking school we learned from a chef who owns a Mexican restaurant here in Boston how he makes his rice. The most important things were REALLY toasting the rice – they should be nearly brown – and heating the water mixture before adding it to the pan. I mix my water, tomato paste, spices etc. in a pot and bring it to a boil before I add it to the hot pan of toasting rice. Doing this has FINALLY allowed me to achieve that super dry rice you get in the restaurants.

It’s funny to me that people seem to be really into this “dry rice” idea – I guess I lived in AZ for so long that I can’t imagine Mexican rice tasting any other way.

12. Rhonda says:

The oven idea is genius, I always need an excuse to break out the enameled cast iron. Looks delicious as always.

13. [...] Mexican RicePrint this recipe [...]

14. Junebug says:

Did you really eat it later with a fried egg on top? Really?? That sounds much less delicious than the original recipe.

15. Rita says:

Can’t wait to try this!!!!

16. amelia says:

This recipe looks amazing!

I added it to my recipe round-up on my blog because it looked too good to not share!

Thanks again!

amelia

17. [...] Friday: Mexican Rice and Cuban Black Beans [...]

18. [...] Wednesday: Cuban Black Beans and Mexican Rice [...]

19. Afton says:

Thanks so much for this delish recipe. I’ve made it twice already for my family and we love it. My 1 year old gobbled it up. Thanks for sharing!

20. Kimo says:

Looks yummy! I am mexican and as someone already said, this is a VERY popular rice dish in Mexico, and a typical side dish for almost any meal. It’s not called “Mexican Rice” in Mexico, of course. We call it ARROZ ROJO (Red rice) and we usually add a small handful of fresh cilantro before covering the pot and we add a few (whole) serrano chiles instead of jalapenos which are too big. In Mexico, “Arroz a la mexicana” (Mexican rice) is basically just arroz rojo with diced potatoes, carrots and peas and is also extremely popular.

21. Leeann says:

Im trying this recipe now! Looking good with some chicken fajitas!

22. Stephanie says:

Holy bikinis, Batman! This recipe is a definite HOMERUN! I didn’t change a thing and it tasted just like the yummy rice at restaurants. THANK YOU! I will be adding this to my printed recipe book with a big star to indicate its preference just in case.

23. Tianna says:

Thank you for posting recipe, tried it tonight my husband and I LOVED it!!!!! We are from Texas but have been in Germany for a few years and the one thing we miss more than anything is mexican food, I have learned to make all of our favorites from restaraunt but i have tried spanish rice so many times i finally gave up, but seeing reviews and seeing this one was done in oven i figured ok worth one more try, so glad i tried it. Wont be missing rice anymore. Again BIG THANKS

24. [...] unexpected – why not a pie? Along with the pork, I stuffed this pot pie with my homemade Mexican rice and some kidney beans. I used my favorite flaky pie crust, and before you knew it, I had something [...]

25. [...] mexican rice | Crepes of Wrath [...]

26. Wow! I just prepped this rice as a side dish! Must say! This is really REALLY tasty!

27. Lilith says:

Thank you for this recipe! I am from AZ and living in NC, closest I have come to finding the rice that I am missing! Now only if I could find the recipe for rice from Garcia’s Mexican Restaurant! Excellent!